The new paradigm - don't help

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I read a few days ago about a rafting guide being arrested because he rescued someone while 911 was om the phone with him. Apparently it makes more sense to wait until rescuers show up than jump in and help a person in trouble, despite the fact that he is fully qualified to rescue someone in that situation.

Raft guide arrested after helping stranded rafter on Clear Creek - The Denver Post

Now we get the case of a teenager being charged for trying to help a little girl find little girl find her mother.

The most important news and commentary to read right now. - The Slatest - Slate Magazine

I read a few days ago about a rafting guide being arrested because he rescued someone while 911 was om the phone with him. Apparently it makes more sense to wait until rescuers show up than jump in and help a person in trouble, despite the fact that he is fully qualified to rescue someone in that situation.

Raft guide arrested after helping stranded rafter on Clear Creek - The Denver Post

Now we get the case of a teenager being charged for trying to help a little girl find little girl find her mother.

The most important news and commentary to read right now. - The Slatest - Slate Magazine

Two examples of official overreaction. The officials in both cases are dead wrong. I wonder what kind of idiot D.A. decided to file felony false imprisonment charges on the teenager trying to help the little girl. Lots of luck in front of 12 on that one, Mr. Prosecutor.

Two examples of official overreaction. The officials in both cases are dead wrong. I wonder what kind of idiot D.A. decided to file felony false imprisonment charges on the teenager trying to help the little girl. Lots of luck in front of 12 on that one, Mr. Prosecutor.

No need to file charges there, but how stupid could that kid be? Take the child to the store security or a store employee who can get on the PA and then call police if need be.

Too bad for him, his stupid decision cost him. GOOD people need to start thinking before they act.

No surprise that Syrenn is in here defending bad decisions.

It's all about control folks.

The fucking government and its minions do not want people to do anything for themselves.

Here's a hypothetical for you:

You are a cop eating a doughnut in your car near the local hospital. You see a guy stop at a red light then proceed before the light turns green. You attempt to pull him over but he ignores your siren for 2 blocks.

The driver then stops in front of the emergency room and as he gets out he says to you, "I'm sorry sir but my wife is having a stroke."

Do you:

A. Ask the driver if he needs help getting his wife inside and then let the whole thing slide

B. Block the door to the emergency room and attempt to stop them from entering then charge the driver with felony evasion and have him arrested causing the man to lose his job because he now has a felony charge.

Cop Arrests Man For Taking Wife To Emergency Room | couple, emergency, wife - Local News - WTVC NewsChannel 9: Chattanooga News, Weather, Radar, Sports, Lottery

Last edited:
my son is a climbing guide...he has been involved in rescues... he and another climber carried a hurt climber over a 1/4 mile to his truck and then transported him to the hospital..they called the father of the climber who requested they bring the kid by the house...just in case he wasnt hurt too bad...my son told father to meet the at hospital....the kid had two broken ankles and a broken wrist....now should they have waited for the "rescue" team or taken action? the kid was going into shock by the time they got him to the truck...

you should do all you can to help....the teenager didnt show great judgment taking the kid out the door but he is teenager....he was helping

Welcome to America, land of the scared and litigious people. This has nothing to do with any nanny state, it has everything to do with American culture today. Consider the plastic and duct tape, and changing warning colors, shows like '24,' or the imbecility over the congressman grabbing the spoiled child. Oh how horrid! Then consider 911 and the fears of even trying criminals in New York courts. Wake up folks, media has created a country of scaredy-cats as we used to call them. Grow the fug up.

Check this woman out, she can tell you all about the wishy washy Americans today.

FreeRangeKids

Last edited:
No surprise that Syrenn is in here defending bad decisions.

How do you figure that? The OP quotes two examples of bad decisions and takes both of them to task for being extremely stupid decisions. Syrenn came on and AGREED WITH the OP.

Don't you know George, he hasn't gotten over his 3 zip LOSE in his HELP MY SYRENN SAYS thread in the legal section. Hes been trash mouthing me all over the forum for ever since. Its rather funny. He is obsessed with me now and just cant stop talking about me. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
my son is a climbing guide...he has been involved in rescues... he and another climber carried a hurt climber over a 1/4 mile to his truck and then transported him to the hospital..they called the father of the climber who requested they bring the kid by the house...just in case he wasnt hurt too bad...my son told father to meet the at hospital....the kid had two broken ankles and a broken wrist....now should they have waited for the "rescue" team or taken action? the kid was going into shock by the time they got him to the truck...

you should do all you can to help....the teenager didnt show great judgment taking the kid out the door but he is teenager....he was helping

Yes that is exactly what is happening. They are putting regular people in the position of helping or being sued or thrown in jail. Interesting turn in humanity don't you think?

I agree that you should always help.

BUT if this father had wanted to, he could have had your son and his friend in a sling.

Forum List

Back