The new normal.....rising temperatures

Only partially. Salt water intrusion and drought would be much more harmful.

And what about California, the "bread basket" of the country. Warmer temperatures there would also disrupt the growing season.

Yes, I can only conclude that anyone that thinks warmer temperatures are good is a moron.

Florida's problem with fresh water is at least partially the responsibility of the cozy relationship between the state and cane sugar growers, who've sucked the aquifers dry.

I thought all teh Golfing Joos "sucked the aquifers dry.":confused:
Water usage at golf courses is nothing compared to what it takes to raise cane sugar.

And what about California, the "bread basket" of the country. Warmer temperatures there would also disrupt the growing season.

Yes, I can only conclude that anyone that thinks warmer temperatures are good is a moron.
Even though Fornicalia grows a lot, it's still nothing compared to the plains states.

The Central Valley's current problems have more to do with environmentalist whackos trying to save a goofy little fish, than any real water shortages.

The Plains states also face the same water shortage problem.

As a bonus, Arizona will no longer have to worry about anyone wanting to live there, let alone Mexicans.

California is a desert. It gets on average less than 10 inches of rain a year from Merced South. The only reason why it has been able to produce what it has is because of irrigation. The last time I checked irrigation works where it's hot too. The Roman aqueducts are still being used in many places in Europe....2000 years after their hot spell.

Warm seasons do not "disrupt growing seasons. It makes them longer. Currently we get one or two crops in a season. With increased warmth we could concievably get three maybe even four.

How is this bad?

The only reason why salt water can intrude is becaue you've pumped the fresh water out of it in the first place and Samson and the Dude are correct, the plethora of golf courses and the suger growers are primarily responsible for that. The same holds for Palm Springs as well, well the golf courses part at least!

Last edited:
The Plains states also face the same water shortage problem.

As a bonus, Arizona will no longer have to worry about anyone wanting to live there, let alone Mexicans.

Actually no one really knows what will happen when it gets warmer and correspondingly wetter. The plains are dry as it is being classified as semiarid so only getting between 10 and 20 inches of rain a year so once again they rely on artesian wells for most of their irrigation water. If it gets warmer and wetter (the two go hand in hand) however the rainfall will probably go up.

As far as Arizona goes, it seems to me that most people choose not to live in the desert. Only old people and desert rats (of which I qualify:razz:) seem to like it out here.

Forum List

Back