The New Golden Age Of NFL QBs..

I agree... I have seen Cunningham play and he was nothing extraordinary. Another guy that wasn't very impressive was McNabb. I have seen him play several times in person and he was just average..even though he did have a few great games.

I'm not really impressed by the running QBs like them. You force them to pass and you beat them.

The old style running QBs were not from the same mold of RG3 or Wilson. The old guys hand a few plays but they ran mostly to escape a sack. Wilson And RG3 run with a purpose to score touchdowns and they prove it by getting tochdowns.. Older QBs got almost all their TDs with the "sneak" close to the goal line. I don't know about RG3 but Wilson doesn't run the sneak play. His TD runs have almost all been longer than 10 yards.

I don't think Randall Cunningham ran to excape a sack. Running plays by him were in the playbook. Ditto for McNabb and Vick.

Geez, how could I forget Fouts and Cunningham. They definitely belong in that group.

How about Bobby Hebert, Jim McMahon, and maybe even Vinny Testaverde?

I'm not sure that McMahon was really any good as NFL starting QBs go. Take him away from that Bears Defense and he's done nothing. I can't agree with Vinny or Bobby.

McMahon had the "intangibles". Hebert had a 4-5 year period after the USFL folded where he was considered among the top 5 or 10 quarterbacks in the NFL. Testaverde had LONGEVITY, although he never quite lived up to all the hype when he came out of college.
Bernie Kosar was considered one of the premier quarterbacks in the late-80s.

I am referring to overall QUANTITY of really good quarterbacks in the 80s and 90s. There just weren't too many "crappy" starting quarterbacks in the NFL back then.

Hardly any "fringe" starting quarterbacks like Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassel, Kevin Kolb, Chad Henne, Blaine Gabbert, Josh Freeman, etc., and hardly any rookie quarterbacks started back then (except for Elway and Kosar and maybe a couple of others).

I can agree to that.

<facepalm>

I just noticed that HUGGY titled this thread the "NEW Golden Age" of quarterbacks.

My apologies. I mistakenly thought he was arguing that this age was THE golden age.

I hope you are right Huggy, I would like to see another golden age in my lifetime.

I'm not really impressed by the running QBs like them. You force them to pass and you beat them.

The old style running QBs were not from the same mold of RG3 or Wilson. The old guys hand a few plays but they ran mostly to escape a sack. Wilson And RG3 run with a purpose to score touchdowns and they prove it by getting tochdowns.. Older QBs got almost all their TDs with the "sneak" close to the goal line. I don't know about RG3 but Wilson doesn't run the sneak play. His TD runs have almost all been longer than 10 yards.

I don't think Randall Cunningham ran to excape a sack. Running plays by him were in the playbook. Ditto for McNabb and Vick.

I'm sure you are right. Vick had the speed and elusive ability till he got pasted a few times. I just remeber Cunningham and McNabb getting run down from behind on a few occasions. That later two ran out of bounds frequently on 3 rd down short of the sticks.

Randall Cunningham, Dan Fouts

Good group

i disagree with Cunningham but Fouts, yes.

I agree... I have seen Cunningham play and he was nothing extraordinary. Another guy that wasn't very impressive was McNabb. I have seen him play several times in person and he was just average..even though he did have a few great games.

The Eagles have been garbage since Mcnabb left. He was a really good QB who just couldn't win the big one.

Agree with Predfan and TruthSeeker.

Marino came in and went right to the Superbowl. (Luck and RGIII have a shot) that crop of Qb's is the best.

Drew Bledsoe was in the tier right below as well and he would be putting up sick numbers if he was playing today in his prime.

Collinsworth last night: 'If Romo could just get one last chance', with about a minute to go.

Dude, he had his chance, but he Romo'd it and threw a pick. Why is this still surprising to some?

New Topics

Forum List

Back