The new gender gap in eduction: boys falling behind

caterpillar

May 14, 2009
This article is a few years old, but I'm sure the trends haven't changed in six years:

BW Online | May 26, 2003 | The New Gender Gap

Universities continue to become more and more female. The article sort of touches tangentially on what I view as the most dangerous aspect of this trend, and that is that all these educated women who will go on to get high paying jobs still expect to marry a guy who makes as much or more than they do. Obviously the math doesn't add up. Sure, some will turn into lesbians, and we're seeing this more and more among the younger generation, but most will not. And what about all these young men who won't ever find a wife? This seems to me a recipe for more crime and more growth in the prison industry with a generation of uneducated, unskilled, and underemployed males in society, with no wife or family to provide a stabilizing influence in their lives. What the "gender percentage" is would be of no concern to me, if it existed in a vacuum but it doesn't.

This article is a few years old, but I'm sure the trends haven't changed in six years:

BW Online | May 26, 2003 | The New Gender Gap

Universities continue to become more and more female. The article sort of touches tangentially on what I view as the most dangerous aspect of this trend, and that is that all these educated women who will go on to get high paying jobs still expect to marry a guy who makes as much or more than they do. Obviously the math doesn't add up. Sure, some will turn into lesbians, and we're seeing this more and more among the younger generation, but most will not. And what about all these young men who won't ever find a wife? This seems to me a recipe for more crime and more growth in the prison industry with a generation of uneducated, unskilled, and underemployed males in society, with no wife or family to provide a stabilizing influence in their lives. What the "gender percentage" is would be of no concern to me, if it existed in a vacuum but it doesn't.

More and more women are becoming equal to or above their husbands in the breadwinner capacity, so I don't think it's as big of a deal. Many men are ok with being stay-at-home dads if their wife can bring home the bacon.

Forum List

Back