The Netherlands: Nothing Here, Move Along

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4341784.stm

2. Harmageddon

Harmageddon Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Moving along

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Oh, I wish you would...

4. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

Oh, that's rich. No analysis of what the Dutch could be doing to bring it oin? Dam, I was sooooooo bored too.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Harmageddon

Harmageddon Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I love you too

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Of course, backatcha. Now, as Said1 pointed out, you have zippo to say on the point...

7. Harmageddon

Harmageddon Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers.
    But I do have a lot to say on this point, we've had our fair share of muslim extremists already (though it did not escalate into a major terror attack).
    Thanks for a large part to our secret service, the BVD, for preventing such attacks from happening. But also thanks to a lot of moderate muslims and clearheaded dutchmen for keeping open the debate.

Imams that preach hate are now required by law to be put on a plane back to whatever country they came from, and at the same time there are moderate Imams that have created, together with our government, a dutch course in Islamic theology - we will soon have our very own dutch Imams, that have been trained not only in teaching Islam to muslims, but also to respect and abide by the dutch secular law.

This is in my view the way forward.

Although we still have to be weary and keep an eye on those extremists, you will always have some nutcases running around in your country that may decide to blow people up. That's very sad, but that's the way it is.
    We just have to keep it to a minimum and prevent an escalation by singling out a small group of scapegoats for the wrongs in the world.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    That is so cool. You should make your voice heard, in the Netherlands. I hope Von Gough is smiling upon you or Allah or whomever.

As for me, I want my government to do what it can to protect me or rather my children-by birth or national legacy.

9. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    But how can you prevent anything if you don't acknowledge where the problem is actually stemming from. Based on the above examples you provided, your government clearly doesn't agree with you. Unless they are jailing and deporting all those who preach hate, they are targetting a specific group because they are a significant risk your safety. Or is this just a response to exagerated American pressure?

10. Harmageddon

Harmageddon Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you for the compliment.
    And I agree a government should protect its people, not its assets.

First of all, American pressure has near nothing to do with this whole affair, we can take care of our own country’s potential terrorists. I say near nothing, for American pressure has resulted in the Netherlands’ downgrading the order of 85 JSFs to only 40.

American intervention politics demanded that the Netherlands should hand over one of the captured presumed terrorists so that he could be tried in America instead of in the Netherlands. That demand was overturned by a Dutch judge, for the reason that he feared “the human rights of this particular individual would be jeopardized under American law”. America then backed up its demand by threatening with economic sanctions, to which my government responded by downgrading the order of the JSFs. That is a clear example of how far one gets with threats.

I do have quite a lot of disagreements with my own government, but that is quite usual for me.

As for the ousting of hate-preaching Imams, I think that is a necessary and just measure. They are mostly quite new to the country, do not speak Dutch and have no clue as to what makes our country what it is and show no intent to learn any of it, but instead choose to attack our country through their followers.

Imams, being religious leaders, command a high level of respect and authority amongst muslims. When they turn into hate preachers, they can easily inspire young and angry muslim men, that have not yet adopted a crystallized view of Islam, to get involved in terrorist acts. Thus, we have taken these Imams out of the equation.

We have chosen to acknowledge the problem stems from the war on terror. Since then, young muslims have been easily swayed by these hate preaching Imams to get involved in a counterattack on the west. Because to some of these radical guys, there is a war being fought against Islam. America is not the only one that sees this war in epic proportions.

To prevent an escalation within our own borders, we’ve chosen to oust these Imams.