The Negative Twist

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
From Parents Express magazine June 1992:

"If your child is old enough to recognize that skin comes in many different colors, then she is also old enough to begin learning that differences are O.K. A youngster's attitudes about race aren't formed in seventh grade civics class. They begin in toddlerhood.

When Parents Express magazine looked into how children learn about differences, family therapist Harry Aponte spoke of the "negative twist" that we see too often when children become aware of differences in race, sex, religion or class.

"When it goes beyond noticing differences to seeing the outside person as not only different, but somehow less worthy and less human, then you're heading toward prejudice," he said, "Kids absorb that kind of attitude from parents, schoolmates and society in general."

Racial hatred isn't an issue for tomorrow. Talk to your kids today about race. About fairness. No matter how small, they are never too young. Even the sandbox set knows right from wrong."

When I ran across this article in my files I was reminded that we are still, today grappling with this same issue. I wonder why we haven't yet learned.

"If your child is old enough to recognize that skin comes in many different colors, then she is also old enough to begin learning that differences are O.K. A youngster's attitudes about race aren't formed in seventh grade civics class. They begin in toddlerhood.

When Parents Express magazine looked into how children learn about differences, family therapist Harry Aponte spoke of the "negative twist" that we see too often when children become aware of differences in race, sex, religion or class.

"When it goes beyond noticing differences to seeing the outside person as not only different, but somehow less worthy and less human, then you're heading toward prejudice," he said, "Kids absorb that kind of attitude from parents, schoolmates and society in general."

Racial hatred isn't an issue for tomorrow. Talk to your kids today about race. About fairness. No matter how small, they are never too young. Even the sandbox set knows right from wrong."

When I ran across this article in my files I was reminded that we are still, today grappling with this same issue. I wonder why we haven't yet learned.
Believe me I have. They are aware that not all types of people are the same. And they are equally aware that, life isn't fair...

We have not all learned because the teachers are still prejudiced. The spirit still too strong. And the lust to lie still taste too good.

We have not all learned because the teachers are still prejudiced. The spirit still too strong. And the lust to lie still taste too good.
And the differences ever more obvious...

And the differences ever more obvious...

Yep!

Believe me I have. They are aware that not all types of people are the same. And they are equally aware that, life isn't fair...

Apparently you haven't learned if you actually believe this.

Haven’t learned what yet?

If you don't know, it's because you don't want to know.

For whites as a group its instinctive. Nothing else makes sense. Thats why they havent learned.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

You havent learned what you are unaware of.

Forum List

Back