The Nature of Belief

Belief is when you don't know the facts, but decide that you do.

It's ok in many circumstances, but when it comes to religion... it has cost countless lives. And will likely continue to do so.

I am a staunch UFO advocate, but I do not believe it. I will argue for the possibilities, and fully discuss various scenarios in the past that led to the present, but I still do not believe it. I am willing to listen to, discuss, and accept rational arguments that would dispute my hypothesis. And, while also being an advocate for science, I also cannot say that I believe current theories. I'll argue for them, but if there's one thing science has taught us, is that every theory prior to the current one, was wrong! The latest is not necessarily the greatest...

But religions cannot allow that. They don't want people wandering in their minds about the alternative possibilities, including other religions. Because it costs them money and power when people stray. Therefore, you must BELIEVE, even in the face of insurmountable evidence or circumstances.

I agree, and what I find interesting is that many of my fellow nonbelievers are puzzled when I say that I do not believe the Big Bang Theory or in the theories of evolution. I have to explain that belief has nothing to do with it. Scientific theories are simply the current best description and explanation of the available evidence and not fact or Truth; that no theory has ever been proved and never will be because that isn't how science or reality work.

And when I say the same to a creationist, I think they must be completely confused.

1) Belief is when you don't know the facts, but decide that you do.

2) It's ok in many circumstances, but when it comes to religion... it has cost countless lives. And will likely continue to do so.

part 1 may be true (in some peoples practice), part 2 is patently false.

Belief is a conscious decision of a 'best fit'. Technically in its broadest sense 'everything' the mind can intercept and or imagine is based on some level of form of belief.

The line between religion and belief is the 'act'ion associated with the belief, and generally religion is a rational qualitative judgment rather than one of pure reason as in holmes playground.

Belief becomes a religion when the belief is practiced in action, otherwise is remains as nothing more than ethics.

Atheists have slaughtered upwards of 100 million, more than all the 'religions' put together.

Atheists have slaughtered upwards of 100 million, more than all the 'religions' put together.

I meant to say more than all 'other' religions combined

New Topics

Forum List

Back