Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
1. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT) >Workers: 2.1 million

2. International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM) >Workers: 436,000

3. United Parcel Service, Inc. (NYSE:UPS) >Workers: 400,000

4. McDonald’s Corp. (NYSE:MCD) >Workers: 400,000

5. Target Corp. (NYSE:TGT) >Workers: 355,000

Source, America’s Ten Largest Employers - 24/7 Wall St.

Now then, I hear lots of people talking about how evil these massive employers are. Talk about how these huge corporations should pay more taxes, talk about how since they are so huge they take advantage of people (employees and customers).

But wait, those are private corporations. The single largest employer of people is actually the Federal government.
With about 2.0 million civilian employees, the Federal Government, excluding the Postal Service, is the Nation's largest employer. Source, Federal Government Now add the postal service with its 574,000 employees and we are exceeding 2.5 million.

How come these people that are anti big business want to give the nations single largest employer a pass?
I can refuse (as an individual) to support WalMart (Or IBM or UPS and the others), but I can't refuse to give my dollars to the US Government. I have to give them money, unlike having the choice to support some other big business.
I am being told that big business is evil by my government, yet I am forced to support them (government) as the biggest business of the entire lot.
There is a reason I am disgruntled.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back