The National Guard

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
I don't get some of these Gaurdsmen. If they sign up to recieve a check signed by Uncle Sam, there is the possibility of being deployed. So why are some of them getting angry because they have to actually fight? Thats part of the job description isnt it? If they have opposed going to war, why did they sign up in the first place? I htink George W. made a good choice mobilizing the Gaurd and Reserve, our taxes are spent on it, it needs to do more than 1 sit-up per week and 30 rounds at a target per year.

Semper Fi said:
I don't get some of these Gaurdsmen. If they sign up to recieve a check signed by Uncle Sam, there is the possibility of being deployed. So why are some of them getting angry because they have to actually fight? Thats part of the job description isnt it? If they have opposed going to war, why did they sign up in the first place? I htink George W. made a good choice mobilizing the Gaurd and Reserve, our taxes are spent on it, it needs to do more than 1 sit-up per week and 30 rounds at a target per year.

It is difficult to respond to your post with any degree of accuracy since you failed to include any specific details in regard to the issue. Who is getting angry because they have to actually fight? Is there an article? And can you provide a link?

Merlin1047 said:
It is difficult to respond to your post with any degree of accuracy since you failed to include any specific details in regard to the issue. Who is getting angry because they have to actually fight? Is there an article? And can you provide a link?

Before I typed that post I was watching a documentary on some gaurdsmen from Arizona on Discovery Times. No real specific issues, that's just what I've been hearing lately and decided to voice my opinion.

I agree with you theres no real specific group alot of soldiers in general are deciding not to report for duty. What did you sign up for target practice. I belive your contract says you go whether or not you agree with it. I'm specially disapointed in the US marine in Moore's film who refused to go, I hope they give him some good time to think about what he joined for.

I think the media has a lot to do with the perceived angst of reservists and Nat’l Guard personnel. I cannot remember one time I was happy about getting deployed during my time in the military. All it takes is a journalist finding a soldier having a bad day.

However, we would not have to rely so heavily on the Reserve and Nat’l Guard so much if Clinton did not reduce our military so drastically. Now we have the Reserve and Nat’l Guard doing year rotations and civilian contractors (enter Halliburton) doing a large portion of the work over there. Though the media wouldn’t dare do a story about Clinton's military reduction.

The National Guard is something I know quite a bit about. Most Guardsmen (that includes women as Guardsmen is a genderless term in this case) are more than ready willing and able to deploy. Many are even anxious to go. Like any large organization there are a few who do not fit that profile. It is not all that hard to find Reservists who do not or will not deploy; they are by far in the minority.

Some active duty types grip about not wanting to be there, I have herd allot of this, not knowing what we are doing here, and so on.
Yes their are some Guard troops who thought that they would only be mobalized if all hell broke lose. Alot of them joined just for the extra income, retirement pay, and college money.
Self Interest.

White knight said:
Some active duty types grip about not wanting to be there, I have herd allot of this, not knowing what we are doing here, and so on.
Yes their are some Gard troops who thought that they would only be mobalized if all hell broke lose. Alot of them joined just for the extra income, retirement pay, and college money.
Self Interest.

Exactly. but they signed up for more than just your tax cash, they also signed up to be deployed if they needed to be. So what the hell is the problem?

I was National Guard from 83 to 89. The end of the Soviet threat era. Luck of the draw that I was never sent any farther than New York. Those of you who were Guard/reserve or RA know that bitching about everything is the national past time of soldiers. it wouldn't be hard for a weasly reporter to hanf out with these guys and get footage of serious complaining. It's mostly noise.

I was in the 26th Infantry (Yankee) Division, 26th MP Co.( pres Clinton disbanded us). I don't know what the hell is going on now, but we all knew we were going to fight somewhere for reasons we didn't understand, and it didn't matter. But it never happened, lucky for us.

The closest I ever heard to anyone saying they wouldn't show up if we were deployed was an oft heard plan to swith to the RA and get in with the pro's in order to fight with an outfit that had better gear. No Hmve's for us.... but at least our rifles were full auto.....
;)

Forum List

Back