The National Debt from Jan. 1981 to April 2011

Maybe it's time to sell off some assets:

1. Sell Alaska to the Canadians or Russia.

2. Sell Hawaii to Japan.

3. Sell Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico to Mexico.

Those should bring in enough money to settle this debt once and for all.

Well, I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again. Why not just have corporations, you know, the ones with all that $$$$-have people and things wear their brands ala NASCAR, thus ensuring that they do indeed own the USA!

My Marlboro T shirt is getting a little faded. Seems I can't get those anymore. :eusa_whistle:

Both parties have been fiscally reckless and irresponsible.

That being said - the President does not control spending- the House does. From 1981 - 2009- the Democrats controlled the House for 18 of the 28 years. Also, Obama has spent more in 2.5 yrs than Bush did in 8. Both parties have been fiscally reckless and irresponsible, but the Democrats are far bigger spenders.

ED-AN936B_taylo_G_20110720172503.jpg

obama is just WINNING:rolleyes:

‪Songify This - Winning - a Song by Charlie Sheen‬‏ - YouTube

The Wageless, Profitable Recovery - NYTimes.com

Economists at Northeastern University have found that the current economic recovery in the United States has been unusually skewed in favor of corporate profits and against increased wages for workers.

In their newly released study, the Northeastern economists found that since the recovery began in June 2009 following a deep 18-month recession, “corporate profits captured 88 percent of the growth in real national income while aggregate wages and salaries accounted for only slightly more than 1 percent” of that growth.

The study, “The ‘Jobless and Wageless Recovery’ From the Great Recession of 2007-2009,” said it was “unprecedented” for American workers to receive such a tiny share of national income growth during a recovery.

Economists at Northeastern University have found that the current economic recovery in the United States has been unusually skewed in favor of corporate profits and against increased wages for workers.

In their newly released study, the Northeastern economists found that since the recovery began in June 2009 following a deep 18-month recession, “corporate profits captured 88 percent of the growth in real national income while aggregate wages and salaries accounted for only slightly more than 1 percent” of that growth.

By the way, remember what Reagan did in September 1982?

Politics, Not Economics, Drives Anti-Tax Stand: Albert R. Hunt - Bloomberg

The political hero for these conservatives is Reagan, who did slash taxes his first year as president. What the Eric Cantors of the world don’t know or ignore is that in 1982 -- in the midst of what was then the worst economic downturn since the Depression -- Reagan approved the largest peacetime tax increase in history. On Sept. 3, 1982, the day he signed the tax hike, the jobless rate was 10.1 percent.

In today’s dollars, TEFRA (The Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibilities Act) and an accompanying small increase in gas taxes would have raised the equivalent of almost $1 trillion dollars over 10 years.

The result: the economy boomed in 1983 and 1984, and that year, Reagan successfully ran for re-election on the theme of “Morning in America.” (Reagan also approved three more major tax increases, starting with higher Social Security levies in 1983).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvazQUYG1kE]‪Emeril BAM!!!‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe it's time to sell off some assets:

1. Sell Alaska to the Canadians or Russia.

2. Sell Hawaii to Japan.

3. Sell Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico to Mexico.

Those should bring in enough money to settle this debt once and for all.

Well, I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again. Why not just have corporations, you know, the ones with all that $$$$-have people and things wear their brands ala NASCAR, thus ensuring that they do indeed own the USA!

My Marlboro T shirt is getting a little faded. Seems I can't get those anymore. :eusa_whistle:

Try Absolute Vodka, Pepsi, Verizon Wireless, or Nike and see it they can hook you up with some advertising!

Try Absolute Vodka, Pepsi, Verizon Wireless, or Nike and see it they can hook you up with some advertising!

Tobacco companies used to have the coolest stuff. It's a shame they had to close down their consumer rewards programs.

also note, the regan and bush jr's were 8 year terms. Obamas at 2.

President Obama wants to raise the debt ceiling for the first time in almost three years now. His first time since taking office.

President Reagan raised it 17 times.

For some reason I have a strong feeling that no President in our history is going to come close to that number. He's the Michael Jordan/Bill Russell of raising the Debt Ceiling.

President Obama wants to raise the debt ceiling for the first time in almost three years now. His first time since taking office.

For some reason I have a strong feeling that no President in our history is going to come close to that number. He's the Michael Jordan/Bill Russell of raising the Debt Ceiling.

yes, i was not commenting on the debt ceiling. Just stating that according to the op, obama has increased 35% in 2 years. We will see were that number is at 8 years and then make a true comparison.

what would YOU replace those evil coproations with EZ?? You must have a good plan. I'd like to hear it.

Where did I say they were evil Willow? Don't you think that's a good idea to help bring down the National Debt? They can pay millions to athletes and actors to pimp their products, why not let Joe Smoe and Jane Doe just advertise and put that money back to the people who are buying their product! Pay them instead!

That's a way cool idea if you want to tax the poor and middle class, cause you and I know or should know that when a corporation is taxed they just pass the cost of that taxation onto we the consumer. Why do you hate the average American?

The Wageless, Profitable Recovery - NYTimes.com

The study, “The ‘Jobless and Wageless Recovery’ From the Great Recession of 2007-2009,” said it was “unprecedented” for American workers to receive such a tiny share of national income growth during a recovery.

By the way, remember what Reagan did in September 1982?

Politics, Not Economics, Drives Anti-Tax Stand: Albert R. Hunt - Bloomberg

The political hero for these conservatives is Reagan, who did slash taxes his first year as president. What the Eric Cantors of the world don’t know or ignore is that in 1982 -- in the midst of what was then the worst economic downturn since the Depression -- Reagan approved the largest peacetime tax increase in history. On Sept. 3, 1982, the day he signed the tax hike, the jobless rate was 10.1 percent.

In today’s dollars, TEFRA (The Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibilities Act) and an accompanying small increase in gas taxes would have raised the equivalent of almost $1 trillion dollars over 10 years.

The result: the economy boomed in 1983 and 1984, and that year, Reagan successfully ran for re-election on the theme of “Morning in America.” (Reagan also approved three more major tax increases, starting with higher Social Security levies in 1983).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvazQUYG1kE]‪Emeril BAM!!!‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

a) all taxes are not the same so the 1 minute google ranger I am an instant expert thing won't help you...

b) we have and every rep/con I know here has always said and recognized that Reagan was responsible for his own recession,

c) the key being 24 months after the recession, the Reagan recession was over, were was the economy? why don't you go google that and look at the dates of my chart again.....and sit down take off your shoes and figure out how long its been since this recession has ended....;)then get back to me.

and please do yourself and us a favor-if you are just going to regurgitate blurbs you have absolutely no understanding of PLEASE, since they have been hashed out here very recently in 30 40 page treads, PLEASE spare us, just go to the thread and read....I beg you. :eusa_pray:

Obama was right the first time: This is a failure in leadership.

I'll assume all you've written on Reagan true. All your sources and their bias, fair. How long are you going back and what does it have to do with today?

When has the country spent like this, WITHOUT a budget? Perchance that is a bit of a contributing factor. Let's be clear, other than the plans put forward by the Republicans, none of the rest have specifics, indeed with the exception of the gang of 6/7, none even come close to written form and the 6 write in broad terms, no specifics.

So a quick projection says that Reagan's record is safe.....

Yes I agree. All I am saying is that we shouldn't let it happen again IF we can prevent it by instituting new measures like a balanced budget. It is not that hard businesses do it everyday. The debt ceiling has to be raised by aug. 2nd, if it isn't, well we are fucked and the gold and silver kids will be jumping for joy. But either way, right now on the spending pace we are on we are f'ed no matter what unless we corral our GIANT debts

Yes I agree. All I am saying is that we shouldn't let it happen again IF we can prevent it by instituting new measures like a balanced budget. It is not that hard businesses do it everyday. The debt ceiling has to be raised by aug. 2nd, if it isn't, well we are fucked and the gold and silver kids will be jumping for joy. But either way, right now on the spending pace we are on we are f'ed no matter what unless we corral our GIANT debts

While I believe that politically, a balanced budget is actually really hard to do, I agree with the rest of/spirit of your post.

While I believe that politically, a balanced budget is actually really hard to do, I agree with the rest of/spirit of your post.

I am sure it is really hard to do for a government, but not as impossible as some of the other crap they try to do.

what would YOU replace those evil coproations with EZ?? You must have a good plan. I'd like to hear it.

Where did I say they were evil Willow? Don't you think that's a good idea to help bring down the National Debt? They can pay millions to athletes and actors to pimp their products, why not let Joe Smoe and Jane Doe just advertise and put that money back to the people who are buying their product! Pay them instead!

That's a way cool idea if you want to tax the poor and middle class, cause you and I know or should know that when a corporation is taxed they just pass the cost of that taxation onto we the consumer. Why do you hate the average American?

It's satire darling........

Bullshit!

Prices are set by the market and what the consumer is willing (or able) to pay.

Forum List

Back