The National Debt from Jan. 1981 to April 2011

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
$227264_1868782234331_1084327575_31660154_5749523_n.jpg

Maybe it's time to sell off some assets:

1. Sell Alaska to the Canadians or Russia.

2. Sell Hawaii to Japan.

3. Sell Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico to Mexico.

Those should bring in enough money to settle this debt once and for all.

2. Sell Hawaii to Japan.

Well, I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again. Why not just have corporations, you know, the ones with all that $$$$-have people and things wear their brands ala NASCAR, thus ensuring that they do indeed own the USA!

2. Sell Hawaii to Japan.

if you did that you would have fewer oil resources and have to import more....but, oh wait!!:eusa_hand:.... I forgoooottt, Obamas Green job initiative!!!!, you guys got it covered....:lol:

2. Sell Hawaii to Japan.

Well, I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again. Why not just have corporations, you know, the ones with all that $$$$-have people and things wear their brands ala NASCAR, thus ensuring that they do indeed own the USA!

what would YOU replace those evil coproations with EZ?? You must have a good plan. I'd like to hear it.

2. Sell Hawaii to Japan.

what would YOU replace those evil coproations with EZ?? You must have a good plan. I'd like to hear it.

Where did I say they were evil Willow? Don't you think that's a good idea to help bring down the National Debt? They can pay millions to athletes and actors to pimp their products, why not let Joe Smoe and Jane Doe just advertise and put that money back to the people who are buying their product! Pay them instead!

This post brought to you by del electronics, where even moderators know how to push your buttons.

3c52.jpg

With his budget Reagan killed the Soviet Empire, Obama killed bin Laden and the US Manned Space Program.

Debt ceiling has been raised 91 times since 1940. 36 times under Democratic Presidents.

Ronald Reagan is #1 on the debt ceiling, having raised it 17 times.

George W. Bush raised it 7 times himself while in office.

Bush Administration Adds $4 Trillion To National Debt - Couric & Co. - CBS News

With no fanfare and little notice, the national debt has grown by more than $4 trillion during George W. Bush's presidency.

It's the biggest increase under any president in U.S history.

On the day President Bush took office, the national debt stood at $5.727 trillion. The latest number from the Treasury Department shows the national debt now stands at more than $9.849 trillion. That's a 71.9 percent increase on Mr. Bush's watch.

But the government is taking no chances. Buried deep in the hundred pages of bailout legislation is a provision that would raise the statutory ceiling on the national debt to $11.315 trillion. It'll be the 7th time the debt limit has been raised during this administration. In fact it was just two months ago, on July 30, that President Bush signed the Housing and Economic Recovery Act, which contained a provision raising the debt ceiling to $10.615 trillion.

But nope, according to all those 'Small Government Conservatives', it's all President Obama's fault in the last two years that we are where we are now.

I think I'll just keep playing this on repeat the next time I hear a Republican in the general election say he/she will cut the deficit and lower government:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE]‪Wont Get Fooled Again‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Obama's Deficit > Any Reagan Budget
The Reagan administration implemented upper-bracket income tax cuts and cuts in capital gains taxes in an effort to increase the money supply and therefore increase aggregate demand and ultimately price levels. The shift in fiscal policy implemented by Reagan in response to economic stagflation was the first time policymakers had ever tried such policy: The Keynesian economist response would have been to use various tools in order to increase short run aggregate demand at the current price level and therefore increase economic output. Reagan met ultimately with both successes and failures in this venture. One of the main failures was his inability to significantly cut government spending as promised; indeed, under Reagan the defense budget was increased and not offset by other government spending cuts. This lead to a deepening government deficit that would take about a decade to offset. The inability to mitigate increases in government spending meant that Reaganomic policy de facto was a contradiction to the concept of supply-side economics, as increases in government spending increase aggregate demand rather than aggregate supply.

Read more here:

Deficit Spending: Reagan vs. Obama - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Debt ceiling has been raised 91 times since 1940. 36 times under Democratic Presidents.

Ronald Reagan is #1 on the debt ceiling, having raised it 17 times.

George W. Bush raised it 7 times himself while in office.

Bush Administration Adds $4 Trillion To National Debt - Couric & Co. - CBS News

With no fanfare and little notice, the national debt has grown by more than $4 trillion during George W. Bush's presidency.

It's the biggest increase under any president in U.S history.

On the day President Bush took office, the national debt stood at $5.727 trillion. The latest number from the Treasury Department shows the national debt now stands at more than $9.849 trillion. That's a 71.9 percent increase on Mr. Bush's watch.

But the government is taking no chances. Buried deep in the hundred pages of bailout legislation is a provision that would raise the statutory ceiling on the national debt to $11.315 trillion. It'll be the 7th time the debt limit has been raised during this administration. In fact it was just two months ago, on July 30, that President Bush signed the Housing and Economic Recovery Act, which contained a provision raising the debt ceiling to $10.615 trillion.

But nope, according to all those 'Small Government Conservatives', it's all President Obama's fault in the last two years that we are where we are now.

I think I'll just keep playing this on repeat the next time I hear a Republican in the general election say he/she will cut the deficit and lower government:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE]‪Wont Get Fooled Again‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

ED-AN936B_taylo_G_20110720172503.jpg

obama is just WINNING:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love bringing up this article too:

Ronald Reagan Myth Doesn't Square with Reality - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

And while Reagan somewhat slowed the marginal rate of growth in the budget, it continued to increase during his time in office. So did the debt, skyrocketing from $700 billion to $3 trillion. Then there's the fact that after first pushing to cut Social Security benefits - and being stymied by Congress - Reagan in 1983 agreed to a $165 billion bailout of the program. He also massively expanded the Pentagon budget.

Meanwhile, following that initial tax cut, Reagan actually ended up raising taxes - eleven times. That's according to former Republican Sen. Alan Simpson, a longtime Reagan friend who co-chaired President Obama's fiscal commission that last year offered a deficit reduction proposal.

"Ronald Reagan was never afraid to raise taxes," historian Douglas Brinkley, who edited Reagan's diaries, told NPR. "He knew that it was necessary at times. And so there's a false mythology out there about Reagan as this conservative president who came in and just cut taxes and trimmed federal spending in a dramatic way. It didn't happen that way. It's false."

It's important to note that Reagan's tax increases did not wipe out the effects of that initial tax cut. But they did eat up about half of it. And as Peter Beinart points out, the 1983 payroll tax hike went to pay for Social Security and Medicare. ("Reagan raised taxes to pay for government-run health care," Beinart writes.) Reagan also raised the gas tax and signed the largest corporate tax increase in history, an act Joshua Green writes would be "utterly unimaginable for any conservative to support today."

Governor Ronald Reagan also signed the largest tax increase in history of any state up until that point in time. He also nearly doubled state spending.

Source: Panelists Review Ronald Reagan's Time In Politics : NPR

President Ronald Reagan also increased 11 times according to his friend Alan Simpson.

HORSLEY: Reagan famously did cut taxes, sharply, in his first year in office. But as former Senator Alan Simpson, who co-chaired the fiscal commission, was quick to remind Norquist, that's only half the story.

Former Senator ALAN SIMPSON (Republican, Wyoming): Ronald Reagan raised taxes 11 times in his administration. I was here. I was here. I knew him. Better than anybody in this room. He was a dear friend and a total realist as to politics.

Source: Ronald Reagan's Legacy Clouds Tax Record : NPR

Forum List

Back