The Myth of the Third Party

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
It's been tried a few times in US history, but rarely amounts to anything measurable. In the event that it does, the so-called third party is quickly subsumed by one or parts of both major parties. This is as it will be and should be.

The biggest service I see third parties doing is to talk about issues that make the mainstream parties reluctant to address. When the issue could be enough to throw the election one way or another, one of the major parties co-opts that issue and the third party becomes history.

The biggest service I see third parties doing is to talk about issues that make the mainstream parties reluctant to address. When the issue could be enough to throw the election one way or another, one of the major parties co-opts that issue and the third party becomes history.
Yeah...They co-opt the issue to get elected, then ignore it afterward.

There are reasons I dropped out.

It's been tried a few times in US history, but rarely amounts to anything measurable. In the event that it does, the so-called third party is quickly subsumed by one or parts of both major parties. This is as it will be and should be.

I'm not so sure it is as it should be. We don't want 27 different parties as that would be complete chaos. On paper two parties seem reasonable. Boil it down and there is only one choice or you have 2 sides that are working towards a solution.

That isn't working though. The tail is wagging the dog. We need a third party. Right now we have theatrics or busy work for the masses while other things are being done.

Bernie & Tulsi should go Green Party--
rock the nation......]

That would guarantee a Trump reelection. If that's what you want...

I did a posting on this some time back. I found out that:

51 MILLION Americans are eligible, but do not register to vote

Why Are 51 Million Eligible Americans Not Registered to Vote? | Demos

Add that number to the registered voters who do not vote and the figure is over 100 MILLION

As more and more Americans become apathetic to the choices and fed up, we can say this country is headed for civil unrest or a changing of the guard, much the same as when Republicans replaced the Whigs.

Add that number to the registered voters who do not vote and the figure is over 100 MILLION

As more and more Americans become apathetic to the choices and fed up, we can say this country is headed for civil unrest or a changing of the guard, much the same as when Republicans replaced the Whigs.

How do you have apathy and civil unrest at the same time?

Last edited:

Apathy by those who refuse to get involved and vote coupled with a minority of extremists that are willing to use violence in order to achieve a political goal. When nothing is being done at the mainstream level and the majority fit into the extreme categories (those who are constipated and don't give a crap) against the extremists who want open rebellion, spiff happens.

Apathy by those who refuse to get involved and vote coupled with a minority of extremists that are willing to use violence in order to achieve a political goal. When nothing is being done at the mainstream level and the majority fit into the extreme categories (those who are constipated and don't give a crap) against the extremists who want open rebellion, spiff happens.

Really? When?

Really? When?

History keeps repeating itself, but in this case the intervals look like it might take a really long time down the road - maybe after everybody realizes that they are enslaved.

The problem with third parties is they run from the extreme.
Either the extreme right or the extreme left

That only ensures the opposite opinion will win

The third party needs to run from the middle drawing votes from both sides. Run on a platform of we are not crazy, we are responsible, we are willing to compromise for a best solution

The myth is you really have a choice in the election process...

Third party voting for me is to say no to the major two parties candidate...

Also Libertarian usually go with the GOP ( Ron and Rand Paul ) and Green usually goes with the Democrats ( Look at what Ralph Nader and Jill Stein and those that voted for them ), so you are correct they usually are absorbed...

The myth is you really have a choice in the election process...

Third party voting for me is to say no to the major two parties candidate...

Also Libertarian usually go with the GOP ( Ron and Rand Paul ) and Green usually goes with the Democrats ( Look at what Ralph Nader and Jill Stein and those that voted for them ), so you are correct they usually are absorbed...
Not necessarily true...I know a lot of Ron & Rand supporters who sat it out once they were eliminated from the race....And looking at the sorry state of the LP these days, I can't blame them.

Forum List

Back