The myth of the Missing Three Million Republicans

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
A score of people this past week have asked me about the three million Republicans allegedly "missing" at the polls this year. For starters, if the Washington Post is to be believed, Mitt Romney received 1.3 million fewer votes than John McCain did in 2008, not 3 million. For the record, Obama received 7.5 million fewer votes in 2012 than he did in 2008.

More than 1.1 million of the Republican votes were "lost" in California. It is not that California Republicans turned against Romney. His percentage of the vote was higher than McCain's in 2008. It is just they know their votes were in vain in that increasingly absurd state. The same is likely true in New York State where Romney fell more than a half-million votes short of McCain's totals. Excluding these two states, Romney received 300,000 more votes than McCain.

That much said, the results in several states do raise eyebrows, most notably Ohio and Pennsylvania. Romney received nearly 100,000 fewer votes than McCain in the former and 35,000 fewer votes in the latter. In all the other battleground states, Romney improved both on McCain's raw numbers and his percentage of the vote. This includes Florida despite the fact that every vote south of Palm Bay down Florida's I-95 corridor is suspect.

Read more: Blog: The Myth of the Missing Three Million Republicans

before the election, several sources suggested the red state evangelicals really did not support Romney's Mormon religion and would stay home despite polls that indicated otherwise ... that may have been a larger issue than most believed.

A score of people this past week have asked me about the three million Republicans allegedly "missing" at the polls this year. For starters, if the Washington Post is to be believed, Mitt Romney received 1.3 million fewer votes than John McCain did in 2008, not 3 million. For the record, Obama received 7.5 million fewer votes in 2012 than he did in 2008.

More than 1.1 million of the Republican votes were "lost" in California. It is not that California Republicans turned against Romney. His percentage of the vote was higher than McCain's in 2008. It is just they know their votes were in vain in that increasingly absurd state. The same is likely true in New York State where Romney fell more than a half-million votes short of McCain's totals. Excluding these two states, Romney received 300,000 more votes than McCain.

That much said, the results in several states do raise eyebrows, most notably Ohio and Pennsylvania. Romney received nearly 100,000 fewer votes than McCain in the former and 35,000 fewer votes in the latter. In all the other battleground states, Romney improved both on McCain's raw numbers and his percentage of the vote. This includes Florida despite the fact that every vote south of Palm Bay down Florida's I-95 corridor is suspect.

Read more: Blog: The Myth of the Missing Three Million Republicans

Karl? Is that you?

before the election, several sources suggested the red state evangelicals really did not support Romney's Mormon religion and would stay home despite polls that indicated otherwise ... that may have been a larger issue than most believed.

I actually agree with this thought. Although Georgia is a red state, I know a lot of people who sat out the election because they simply could not agree with electing a Mormon into office.

That said, I also know a lot of old people who didn't vote for Kennedy because he was Catholic. Because "Protestants are the only correct Christians" or some bullshit.

I actually agree with this thought. Although Georgia is a red state, I know a lot of people who sat out the election because they simply could not agree with electing a Mormon into office.

That said, I also know a lot of old people who didn't vote for Kennedy because he was Catholic. Because "Protestants are the only correct Christians" or some bullshit.

What a Bunch of Fools, by their In Action they re-elected Obama. How could Obama possibly further their Agenda better than Romney?

Just sayin.

Last edited:
In other words "The republicans didn't lose votes, they just stayed home because they knew Obama would win!"

What a load of shit, but what else do you expect from radical right wing trash like the american thinker.

New Topics

Forum List

Back