The Myth of Rampant Teenage Promiscuity

Agnapostate

Rookie
Sep 19, 2008
The Quake State
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/health/27well.html?_r=3&8dpc

Have American teenagers gone wild?

Parents have worried for generations about changing moral values and risky behavior among young people, and the latest news seems particularly worrisome.

It came from the National Center for Health Statistics, which reported this month that births to 15- to 19-year-olds had risen for the first time in more than a decade.

And that is not the only alarm being sounded. The talk show host Tyra Banks declared a teen sex crisis last fall after her show surveyed girls about sexual behavior. A few years ago, Oprah Winfrey warned parents of a teenage oral-sex epidemic.

The news is troubling, but it’s also misleading. While some young people are clearly engaging in risky sexual behavior, a vast majority are not. The reality is that in many ways, today’s teenagers are more
conservative about sex than previous generations.

(Continued at source...)

O NOEZ! :eek:

The commissars' claims being rebutted by those accursed facts! :eek:

Stories about rampant teenage prudery just don't sell newspapers.

Historically speaking, each generation is worse than the previous one. Not that there is any truth in the claim.

The New York Times > Log In

Have American teenagers gone wild?

Parents have worried for generations about changing moral values and risky behavior among young people, and the latest news seems particularly worrisome.

It came from the National Center for Health Statistics, which reported this month that births to 15- to 19-year-olds had risen for the first time in more than a decade.

And that is not the only alarm being sounded. The talk show host Tyra Banks declared a teen sex crisis last fall after her show surveyed girls about sexual behavior. A few years ago, Oprah Winfrey warned parents of a teenage oral-sex epidemic.

The news is troubling, but it’s also misleading. While some young people are clearly engaging in risky sexual behavior, a vast majority are not. The reality is that in many ways, today’s teenagers are more
conservative about sex than previous generations.

(Continued at source...)

O NOEZ! :eek:

The commissars' claims being rebutted by those accursed facts! :eek:

Hope this trend keeps going. I hate to think about my daughter as a teen! Man that is a scary thought! Anyone know how much Chastity belts cost? OK I will be realistic I will let my daughter day when she gets to college! :eek:

Yes, when she gets to high school I am going to be a :drillsergeant:!

Last edited:
As I said many times, you can't stop them, but you can teach them to at least be responsible.

A good reason for sex-ed.

Forum List

Back