The Muscle Behind

I guarantee you, if it was a 70 it had the 340 and not a 360. AND.. it was a rare gem of a car with the 340. Only about 20k were produced. Most had the slant 6 or 318 engine. At first I thought, it's possible someone could have thrown a 360 in it but if you say it won 1st and Cherry's, it's definitely a 340.

I didn't win it. The guy did.

The competition he was in I don't think was mechanically related so they for sure didn't check.

They had a lot of trouble squeezing the new engine in and it was probably a modern upgrade.

Well you said the guy won 1st place with it at Cherry's and I am familiar with Cherry's Jubilee in Monterrey. They didn't give it 1st place with a replacement 360. And yes, they DO check.

I'm not calling you a liar, I just think someone is confused. The 360s were mostly seen in Dodge trucks and the Polaris before 1972. It is a bigger engine than the 340 and the 340 would barely fit in the small 70 Duster.

Do you know every last competition there?

Unless he won 1st for most atrociously dumb ass conversion, I am saying it was a 340.

The 340 Dusters were works of art... why would you drop a truck engine in one? Doesn't make any sense to me. I had a friend who owned a 70 Duster with a 318 and that was a huge engine for such a little car... he had trouble getting the spark plugs in and out. The 340 was the same engine bored out. I can't imagine the larger 360 even fitting a 70 Duster without major modification... and again, why would you put a lower torque truck engine in a Duster? The 340s were lighter and had more horsepower and were much faster in the quarter.

The 340 and 360 are externally identical except for the harmonic balancer, oil pan, and flywheel. One is a 100% bolt-in for the other.

I was pretty sure the 360 had a larger block. The 340 was just a bored out 318, they would have been essentially the same. You're saying a 318 and 360 are the same too?

The 318 and the 340 are the same, with the distributor in the back. 383 and 440 are the same. Pretty sure the 360 is not the same block as either.

I didn't win it. The guy did.

The competition he was in I don't think was mechanically related so they for sure didn't check.

They had a lot of trouble squeezing the new engine in and it was probably a modern upgrade.

Well you said the guy won 1st place with it at Cherry's and I am familiar with Cherry's Jubilee in Monterrey. They didn't give it 1st place with a replacement 360. And yes, they DO check.

I'm not calling you a liar, I just think someone is confused. The 360s were mostly seen in Dodge trucks and the Polaris before 1972. It is a bigger engine than the 340 and the 340 would barely fit in the small 70 Duster.

Do you know every last competition there?

Unless he won 1st for most atrociously dumb ass conversion, I am saying it was a 340.

The 340 Dusters were works of art... why would you drop a truck engine in one? Doesn't make any sense to me. I had a friend who owned a 70 Duster with a 318 and that was a huge engine for such a little car... he had trouble getting the spark plugs in and out. The 340 was the same engine bored out. I can't imagine the larger 360 even fitting a 70 Duster without major modification... and again, why would you put a lower torque truck engine in a Duster? The 340s were lighter and had more horsepower and were much faster in the quarter.

The 340 and 360 are externally identical except for the harmonic balancer, oil pan, and flywheel. One is a 100% bolt-in for the other.

I was pretty sure the 360 had a larger block. The 340 was just a bored out 318, they would have been essentially the same. You're saying a 318 and 360 are the same too?

360 has a different crankshaft with larger bearings...otherwise, yes, the same.

Forum List

Back