The Murder of Private Eddie Slovik

Anyone check out the reason behind Ike's order to terminate deserters?
Ike was stuck having to carry out this order. What would you have him do? Give an order to curb desertions and then renege on it?

It was a very tough situation. The guy was given several chances to return to his unit. It is worth noting that he didn't really desert. He made clear his intentions to flee combat if placed there.

Which all goes back to having volunteers. You can't have deserters, it was an easy call really, for Ike. But if he had been a volunteer, it would be even less controversial.

Just google the only American guy that was put to Death for Desertion
during WWII.
I'm gonna try to Get hime a Presidential Pardon.

7 different US President's turned down his Pardon.
Why because they were Cowards.

Criminal President Ford pardoned criminal President Nixon.
Right only a criminal would pardon another criminal.
That makes him also a criminal.
I don't believe in those pardons.

I belive Obama might be the President that would actually
review this and give Slovik a pardon.

How many guys over a Million
figured a way not to serve their country in WWII ?
By getting some type of baloney excuse from their Doctor.

The question is does Slovik deserve a Pardon ?
The simple answer is YES

Just ask yourself the question
Would you have run away given the circumstances ?

So I say he was murdered
and I once thought that Eisenhower was a Good President
but he's the one that put down Eddie Slovik.

Believe me I can say what I think Eddie was going thru.
And he didn't deserve to be murdered.

Baltimore Bob

You're wrong. He deserted 3 times and when he turned himself in the 3rd time it was a written confession he was told to destroy. He was a also offered a deal that charges would be dropped if he returned to his unit. He refused. The court martial was balloted 3 times by secret ballot and each time "death" was the unanimous verdict.

He was legally executed by a military court for a crime he freely confessed to.

Quote: He wasn't murdered, you stupid fuck. He was given the death penalty.

Well you call it what you wanna call it.

Sounds like what he did was probably most like Petty Theft.

Maybe we should put people with that crime to death also.

We let a guy go that killed his wife & another - OJ.

Let me guess probably every American has not shown up to work
at least once in their life.
Desertion.

Baltimore Bob

The first time he "disappeared" it was under fire. The penalty for desertion in the face of the enemy is death. The rest of us had to cowboy the fuck up. Who is HE that you want to get him off for leaving others with no regard for what happened to them?

If you were in the military as you claim, then you KNOW it's a TEAM effort and if someone isn't doing his part the machine breaks down and people die.

Who and how many did HIS cowardice condemn to death?

No, but you do have to stick with it, and you can't just leave if you feel harassed.

What makes you think I would?

Well, you want a serious answer?

You claim to want to be an adult. You claim to want to be self-sufficient.. Yet, you get fired from one job, finally get another, and just leave that one without a backup plan, or a backup job just because you felt harassed. You don't get to cry you way out of things in the Military, and you don't get to leave if you just don't like it. Odds are good that if you cry as much as you say you do now, they'd make mincemeat out of you before you even make it through boot camp.

Sorry to bring conversations from other threads here, but they prove my point...

I have never QUIT a job without another 1 waiting. I was fired from my last job becos I complained about the dyke that was harassing me.

I'm emotional, so what? It has never stopped me from doing what needs to get done.

I don't think you've read all my posts, your take on me is a lot like you're talking out of your ass.

Ike was stuck having to carry out this order. What would you have him do? Give an order to curb desertions and then renege on it?

It was a very tough situation. The guy was given several chances to return to his unit. It is worth noting that he didn't really desert. He made clear his intentions to flee combat if placed there.

Which all goes back to having volunteers. You can't have deserters, it was an easy call really, for Ike. But if he had been a volunteer, it would be even less controversial.

Fleeing in the face of the enemy is desertion.

Article 99, Uniform Code of Military Justice:

- Any person subject to this chapter who before or in the presence of the enemy--

(1) runs away;

(2) shamefully abandons, surrenders, or delivers up any command, unit, place, or military property which it is his duty to defend;

(3) through disobedience, neglect, or intentional misconduct endangers the safety of any such command, unit, place, or military property;

(4) casts away his arms or ammunition;

(5) is guilty of cowardly conduct;

(6) quits his place of duty to plunder or pillage;

(7) causes false alarms in any command, unit, or place under control of the armed forces;

(8) willfully fails to do his utmost to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy any enemy troops, combatants, vessels, aircraft, or any other thing, which it is his duty so to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy; or

(9) does not afford all practicable relief and assistance to any troops, combatants, vessels, or aircraft of the armed forces belonging to the United States or their allies when engaged in battle;

shall be punished by death or such punishment as a court-martial may direct.

What makes you think I would?

You claim to want to be an adult. You claim to want to be self-sufficient.. Yet, you get fired from one job, finally get another, and just leave that one without a backup plan, or a backup job just because you felt harassed. You don't get to cry you way out of things in the Military, and you don't get to leave if you just don't like it. Odds are good that if you cry as much as you say you do now, they'd make mincemeat out of you before you even make it through boot camp.

Sorry to bring conversations from other threads here, but they prove my point...

I have never QUIT a job without another 1 waiting. I was fired from my last job becos I complained about the dyke that was harassing me.

I'm emotional, so what? It has never stopped me from doing what needs to get done.

I don't think you've read all my posts, your take on me is a lot like you're talking out of your ass.

I know it's awfully easy to sit there and talk from behind that computer screen. I'm not going to argue the rest with you, other than to say there's not much logic behind you getting fired for reporting another person, and you not following through on it if the reason they fired you was legally wrong.

- Any person subject to this chapter who before or in the presence of the enemy--

(1) runs away;

(2) shamefully abandons, surrenders, or delivers up any command, unit, place, or military property which it is his duty to defend;

(3) through disobedience, neglect, or intentional misconduct endangers the safety of any such command, unit, place, or military property;

(7) causes false alarms in any command, unit, or place under control of the armed forces;

(8) willfully fails to do his utmost to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy any enemy troops, combatants, vessels, aircraft, or any other thing, which it is his duty so to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy; or

(9) does not afford all practicable relief and assistance to any troops, combatants, vessels, or aircraft of the armed forces belonging to the United States or their allies when engaged in battle;

Maybe I was missing something. I didn't know he fled directly under fire. I thought he never made it to the firefight and hooked up with some Canadians.

In any case, the military did what it had to do. He was given the chance to walk away from the charges. He asked for a rear assignment but if they gave it to him, everyone would expect a rear assignment.

Still, the moral argument becomes even more clear with a volunteer.

Good luck in the military Amanda. The deck is stacked against you already but who knows, maybe you won't wash out.

(1) runs away;

Maybe I was missing something. I didn't know he fled directly under fire. I thought he never made it to the firefight and hooked up with some Canadians.

In any case, the military did what it had to do. He was given the chance to walk away from the charges. He asked for a rear assignment but if they gave it to him, everyone would expect a rear assignment.

Still, the moral argument becomes even more clear with a volunteer.

Good luck in the military Amanda. The deck is stacked against you already but who knows, maybe you won't wash out.

One link I read said he fled when his unit came under fire, the second said he "disappeared" when his unit came under fire. Given his subsequent actions and confession and statement that he would do it again, I can see where they came to the conclusion.

I don't really think being drafted or volunteering changes the morality in this situation. A team of soldiers ... fire team, squad, platoon, company ... are counting on each person to do his job. Even IF I could consider not believing in the war or whatever, I CANNOT consider for a second letting others down and/or being killed by my refusal to do my job.

This guy put his life above every other life in his unit.

I would however be fine with tossing him in the brig and letting him rot there forever. That was not the mentality of the people of that time, nor the people who wrote the punitive articles of the UCMJ. As someone else said, he should have just shot himself in the foot or something instead of choosing a violation that carries with it the maximum penalty of death. He rolled the dice and lost. A direct consequence of his actions.

I know it's awfully easy to sit there and talk from behind that computer screen. I'm not going to argue the rest with you, other than to say there's not much logic behind you getting fired for reporting another person, and you not following through on it if the reason they fired you was legally wrong.

It was a LOT more complicated than simply getting fired for reporting someone, but unlike others I can't go into certain details on here - my threads get closed and/or my posts get removed. Just because I haven't gone into gory details doesn't change the reality of my situation. It seems pretty ridiculous to me to presume to know anything about what happened when no one here knows all the details of what happened because I chose not to share them. And I'm still not going to share the details. I don't need to hear the half baked ramblings of the know it alls that inhabit this board. I know what happened, and I know why. I'm moving forward with my life based on what is acceptable to me.

I'd like to compare Eddie Slovik to our ex President Bush JR.
Slovik at least had some courage while Jr had absolutely none.
But one of these guys actually got to live.

Stats:
Slovik was not responsible for the loss of any American live.
Bush is responisble for the loss of about 10,000 American lives.

Yes he was responsible for the deaths on 911
because it was his job to protect us
and the wars since are on him
and his profits from Oil.

Ask yourself which one of these two guys you'd want to be associated with.
Your a Coward if you pick Bush.
Burbank Bob this week

Quote: Is there anything Bush isn't responsible for?

Bush might have shot JFK - we don't know.
He was 17 years old.
I wonder if he was in Dallas that day ?

Baltimore Bob

Just google the only American guy that was put to Death for Desertion
during WWII.
I'm gonna try to Get hime a Presidential Pardon.

7 different US President's turned down his Pardon.
Why because they were Cowards.

Criminal President Ford pardoned criminal President Nixon.
Right only a criminal would pardon another criminal.
That makes him also a criminal.
I don't believe in those pardons.

I belive Obama might be the President that would actually
review this and give Slovik a pardon.

How many guys over a Million
figured a way not to serve their country in WWII ?
By getting some type of baloney excuse from their Doctor.

The question is does Slovik deserve a Pardon ?
The simple answer is YES

Just ask yourself the question
Would you have run away given the circumstances ?

So I say he was murdered
and I once thought that Eisenhower was a Good President
but he's the one that put down Eddie Slovik.

Believe me I can say what I think Eddie was going thru.
And he didn't deserve to be murdered.

Baltimore Bob

Bob...where are you from?

Quote: Bob...where are you from?

Bob like other men is from MARS
WOmen are from Venus

Notice only Mars is Inhabitable.

Baltimore Bob

A Girl couldn't imagine what it's like being a Guy.
Total Freedom.
Freedom to have sex with anyone at any time - anywhere.
Freedom to stand up to take a Leak.
Freedom to enjoy Sexual Harassment (to be sexually harassed).
Freedom to go down on a Woman anywhere (you just have to ask me).

I can imagine being a Gal and feeling afraid All the Time.
Complaining about Everything.
Getting a Free Ride in life.
If you need money you find a guy that will trade money for sex.

But I would never want to come back in any life as a Woman.
You have it good but all you can do is complain.
I wish I could get paid for having sex with a woman.

Since I served this Country in US Navy
I won you gals your Freedom
I believe I deserve a BJ from every woman for doing that for you.

You gals have it easy going down on us guys.
And probably less then 25% of you gals enjoy doing it.
SAD.

I wonder if Eddie was able to get a good BJ from a gal
before Society murdered him ?

Baltimore Bob

Last edited:
A Girl couldn't imagine what it's like being a Guy.
Total Freedom.
Freedom to have sex with anyone at any time - anywhere.
Freedom to stand up to take a Leak.
Freedom to enjoy Sexual Harassment (to be sexually harassed).
Freedom to go down on a Woman anywhere (you just have to ask me).

I can imagine being a Gal and feeling afraid All the Time.
Complaining about Everything.
Getting a Free Ride in life.
If you need money you find a guy that will trade money for sex.

But I would never want to come back in any life as a Woman.
You have it good but all you can do is complain.
I wish I could get paid for having sex with a woman.

Since I served this Country in US Navy
I won you gals your Freedom
I believe I deserve a BJ from every woman for doing that for you.

You gals have it easy going down on us guys.
And probably less then 25% of you gals enjoy doing it.
SAD.

I wonder if Eddie was able to get a good BJ from a gal
before Society murdered him ?

Baltimore Bob

Oh look ... the Black Knight from Monty Python has returned.

If you are going to sexually harass the female members of this board, you aren't going to be on it.

Let me know if I need to clear that up for you.

People successfully killed Slovik in WWII
but were unsuccessful in killing me in Vietnam.

Sorry - I actually meant Cowards instead of people.

Baltimore Bob

Here is a pretty good link on Eddie Slovik, in case anyone is interested:

Pvt

He was more than just a draft dodger. He deserted his unit in the face of combat. I think that is a little different than a person who trumps up some reason to avoid the draft.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back