The movie BUG.

Steerpike

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2007
Interesting flick by the director of the Exorcist. Not sure what my overall impression is...have to reflect on it a bit more.

Neat the end, though, when Ashley Judd's character is reciting a chain of events out-loud to lead to a crazy conspiracy theory, you can get an interesting picture of how the mind of such people works, and movie as a whole paints an interesting portrait of the people susceptible to such things.

Interesting flick by the director of the Exorcist. Not sure what my overall impression is...have to reflect on it a bit more.

Neat the end, though, when Ashley Judd's character is reciting a chain of events out-loud to lead to a crazy conspiracy theory, you can get an interesting picture of how the mind of such people works, and movie as a whole paints an interesting portrait of the people susceptible to such things.

Hollywood movies should never be regarded as a medium for learning and understanding the science behind things, especially psychology.

By accepting Hollywood's version of anything as REAL, you've pretty much given up your critical thought process.

Hollywood movies should never be regarded as a medium for understanding the science behind things, especially psychology.

By accepting Hollywood's version of anything as REAL, you've pretty much given up your critical thought process.

I never said it was real, I said it was an interesting picture. It's not a very Hollywood-esque film. Views more like an independent. It was apparently based on a stage play that ran in New York.

I never said it was real, I said it was an interesting picture. It's not a very Hollywood-esque film. Views more like an independent. It was apparently based on a stage play that ran in New York.

Well, you said it gives good insight into how conspiracy theorists become susceptible. It really only gives the opinion of the movie creator. I think it's irresponsible to come away from a movie, especially a fiction movie, taking anything about it seriously.

We shouldn't be learning things from movies or TV shows. That's a big problem in this country right now, and in many other civilized countries.

TV and movies have become more real to people than actual reality. I'm not saying that's you, I'm just saying it's not a good idea to lead someone's thought process on, with a movie.

Well, you said it gives good insight into how conspiracy theorists become susceptible. It really only gives the opinion of the movie creator.

Not entirely true, I think. There has been a lot of psychological work done on people who are drawn into that sort of things, or into cults, and into paranoia and the like. The movie seems to take quite a bit from that. I don't think it is accurate to say all you are getting is the opinion of the filmmaker, at least not if he's done his job well. But I don't think it can be taken as gospel either. Also, people are diverse and complex, so while it may provide an interesting snapshot of one character, and that may be drawn from some real people to a certain degree, it certainly can't hold true as a general characterization.

Forum List

Back