The Mouse That Would Not DIE!

If you buy a quality product it can work even two years with two AAA batteries. I had a Logitech that could.

Mine has an 18-month battery guarantee, so I don't know what in the hell HE is talking about. He's probably never even had a wireless mouse before and has no idea what he's talking about.

Fortunately for me, I have several wired mice around the house so that is what I will use. It is regretful that the world has moved to wireless everything, but I am old school and will continue to resist the use of wireless devices. They are not what they claim to be.

Why is it regretful? Who wants all of those wires all over the place? Not me. Maybe you just don't like change? :)

I can embrace change if the new item lasts longer than a farting spell.
I hear you. I tried a couple of the 2.4ghz wireless mice and they didn't last very long, only a few months, but then I tried bluetooth mice and have been using one at home for over 2 years and one at work for over a year with no problems with either so far. Knock on wood! :biggrin:

I bought some cheap ones. Maybe I should invest in the $100 ones. Fat chance of that. As long as I can get the wired ones, I'm wired.

UPDATE DAY 3: My mouse is back to full and robust health. Twisting the wire in his nose to defeat the short was the cure.....it's almost unreal how well it's working and looking back, how long I put up with it acting up. My computing experience is carefree again. My advice for anybody reading this with mouse issues is to simply take it apart and look at it...if it's acquired as much crud as my did over 7 years, simply clean it up. Just be careful....look at it before you go to work on it so you remember how it goes back together.....I know one guy who takes things apart inside a clear plastic bag so flying parts can't escape. :laugh:

Last edited:
Mine has an 18-month battery guarantee, so I don't know what in the hell HE is talking about. He's probably never even had a wireless mouse before and has no idea what he's talking about.

Fortunately for me, I have several wired mice around the house so that is what I will use. It is regretful that the world has moved to wireless everything, but I am old school and will continue to resist the use of wireless devices. They are not what they claim to be.

Why is it regretful? Who wants all of those wires all over the place? Not me. Maybe you just don't like change? :)

I hear you. I tried a couple of the 2.4ghz wireless mice and they didn't last very long, only a few months, but then I tried bluetooth mice and have been using one at home for over 2 years and one at work for over a year with no problems with either so far. Knock on wood! :biggrin:

I bought some cheap ones. Maybe I should invest in the $100 ones. Fat chance of that. As long as I can get the wired ones, I'm wired.
I bought one bluetooth mouse, a Dell, at a flea market for $2.98, I figured at that price it couldn't be any worse then the Logitech 2.4ghz ones I tried, which weren't cheap. It is the one I've been using at home for over 2 years, so I think I got my money's worth. Because of my success with that, I got a used HP from Ebay for $7.44 with shipping to use at work.

I bought one bluetooth mouse, a Dell, at a flea market for $2.98, I figured at that price it couldn't be any worse then the Logitech 2.4ghz ones I tried, which weren't cheap. It is the one I've been using at home for over 2 years, so I think I got my money's worth. Because of my success with that, I got a used HP from Ebay for $7.44 with shipping to use at work.

That's what I have, a wireless Logitech mouse, and so far no problems.

UPDATE DAY 3: My mouse is back to full and robust health. Twisting the wire in his nose to defeat the short was the cure.....it's almost unreal how well it's working and looking back, how long I put up with it acting up. My computing experience is carefree again. My advice for anybody reading this with mouse issues is to simply take it apart and look at it...if it's acquired as much crud as my did over 7 years, simply clean it up. Just be careful....look at it before you go to work on it so you remember how it goes back together.....I know one guy who takes things apart inside a clear plastic bag so flying parts can't escape. :laugh:

I doubt that was a short, but more like the circuit opening and not allowing electrons to flow normally. If you have to wiggle a wire, then it's time to either fix the recurring problem, or throw it away in your nearest trash can.

Mine was cheap. It was only like 15 or 20 dollars. I got it at Walmart. It works well so far. I've had it for a week now. But again, I have to say that I don't play games with it. It's for my work computer, and I mostly just type on it, so I think a wireless mouse is fine if someone needs it for a similar purpose.

If you are going to be gaming, and slamming it down and getting around, maybe throwing it across the room, then a wireless mouse may not be the best choice. :D

I have a M$ wireless mouse I picked up on Amazon (cheap) three years ago that works fine. My only complaint is if I don't turn it off every evening it will drain the battery in a couple of weeks.

I have a M$ wireless mouse I picked up on Amazon (cheap) three years ago that works fine. My only complaint is if I don't turn it off every evening it will drain the battery in a couple of weeks.

Interesting. Perhaps I should start turning mine off too. I didn't even think of that, but I did notice it has a little on/off switch.

I doubt that was a short, but more like the circuit opening and not allowing electrons to flow normally. If you have to wiggle a wire, then it's time to either fix the recurring problem, or throw it away in your nearest trash can.

It was a short...nothing to do with "electrons"....frayed wire sheathing, working great now.

UPDATE: Today I used my massive savings ($9.20) on a new mouse to invest in a new pair of speakers. My Harmon/Kardon set from the last century(1999) finally gave up on me...YES I tried to fix them but the short is in the board....
a gallant effort but it was their time....

So I'm in Target to find a calender and I walk past this set of GE 2.0 multimedia speakers for.....get this $12.89 with tax....YES!
yes-fist-pump-smiley-emoticon.gif

Got em home, plugged them in, went to the Youtube Cream reunion at Albert Hall and clicked play.....not bad, not bad at all....no bass/treble control but the slants put a pretty good middle ground in the mix.....Once again I've shown my remarkable savvy about bargains; what is, and what ain't one. Heh.

:cry: I couldn't slam the old mouse around anymore....it's been suffering and didn't deserve the indignity after serving me for 7 years. It still kinda works but it's time has come to rest. He's been replaced by a Logtech M-100 USP model I bought at Wally's for a sawbuck. These new-fangled optic jobs take some getting used to...I already miss my old rollerball buddy. I pointed his nose away from the computer so he wouldn't have to see the new guy on his desk. :cry:

My Best Buy has a good stock of them....my next caper is speakers....I have one working and one not...the geek squad guy said that tells him the driver is good but there's a capacitor shot in the bad speaker...they have what I need for around $15...the set I have (Harmon Kardon) I got with my W98 computer in 1999....not bad.....15 years.

Both Harmon Kardon and Cambridge Soundworks made upgraded speakers in the 90's. If I remember right the upgrade was only about $15 more. What a bargain...today speakers this good cost $150-$200.
They are fantastic speakers...I still use my Soundworks pair also. Pretty sure I bought them in August '99

New Topics

Forum List

Back