The mother of all bubbles

WTF does Facebook produce? Ad revenue? Demographic data? It's nothing but a bunch of fucking electrons whizzing along cables and airwaves. Keystrokes. What a racket.

Their biggest asset is popularity and the lack of the next big thing, which is obviously inevitable.

It's going to take some innovation towards the mobile market to keep them relevant over the long-run.

It's nothing but an electronic billboard. No hard physical goods manufactured, no raw materials forged into tangible assets, nothing added to real GDP. It's just one giant vaccum sucking in electromotive force and spewing forth... nothing.

There is nothing wrong with running a company like this. If anything this is exactly how you want to run a company. Huge revenue, small staff, low overhead. It is a dream company. Their only problems now is, can they grow, and will they stay popular, or go the route of MySpace. I don't really see how they can grow, unless they go the route of google and begin to acquire other businesses. Then again, what do I know?
There is also nothing wrong with a service based industry. Half this country works in service based industries. To say they add nothing to GDP is blatantly false. Just because you can't hold what they sell, doesn't mean it doesn't have value. For example, I would rather have a live in maid/cook, then a new TV.

WTF does Facebook produce? Ad revenue? Demographic data? It's nothing but a bunch of fucking electrons whizzing along cables and airwaves. Keystrokes. What a racket.

What does Google produce?

Heard a very astute comment on the tube - "facebook members are not customers, they are the product being sold"

The FacebooK IPO is not an example of an Economic Bubble.

If speculators and over-eager investors are pushing the overall value of a market beyond its proper value, then the market is said to be in a "bubble". Think back to the dot-com bubble of 1999-2000. The markets became disconnected from reality as the investing public piled into dubious dot-com stocks. Many of these companies were worthless and had nothing in the way of a sustainable business model, but investors didn't care, driving the NASDAQ to over 5,000 points. "herd mentality".
Stock Market Bubble - What Does It Mean?
Al Greenspan described that period as Irrational Exuberance.
The Facebook IPO was not bought by every one. The fact that Facebook does not have a strong revenue stream was more than enough of a reason not to buy it.
Google does well because it has a strong revenue stream created by a demand for advertisements at their web site.
Newspapers have been using the same type of revenue stream forever.

It's nothing but an electronic billboard. No hard physical goods manufactured, no raw materials forged into tangible assets, nothing added to real GDP. It's just one giant vaccum sucking in electromotive force and spewing forth... nothing.

Kinda like USMB then huh??? At least we have an inventory of mugs and tee shirts!!!!!

This place ought to be valued at least a couple billion then...

There ARE NO valuable IPOs anymore.. No one is taking risk under the uncertainty created by politics..

What does Google produce?

Google is a very valuable service. Use it 10 times a day at work, more in vetting USMB bull.
Replaces an ARMY of researchers, librarians, and other labor. Which is SUPPOSED to be good because it frees them to do more productive things.

Could be argued that FaceBook provides the social fabric for expanded opportunities to connect with friends and colleagues. But the VALUE of that proposition is yet to be accepted. I COULD SPAM all my friends/family with pixs in email... But now I can post them in a polite way.... Worth a couple bucks, I'd say.. But NOT valued as high as Caterpillar or other Fortune 500 Co's. That's sheer lunacy...

You forgot that its one of the biggest time suckers of all. That and Pinterest.

(not that I'd know this from personal experience or anything . . . . :eusa_whistle:)

Forum List

Back