The Most Popular Attractions in Every State

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Laura Stampler, March 28, 2014

PqRsEE7.jpg

A lot of people really like the L.L. Bean flagship store

Approximately 17 million people go to Walt Disney World every year. And 3.5 million people who go to Maine check out the L. L. Bean flagship store annually.

Go to Map: Most Popular Attraction In Every State - TIME to read the story and click on the map to enlarge it.

Funny that Ben and Jerrys is the most popular spot in Vermont.

Screw the trees....lets go get some ice cream

Now that is absolutely crazy, a Mall in Minnesota is the biggest attraction! That's a true sign of American capitalism. I avoid that place like the plague. I went there once and left less than an hour later and vowed to never return.
I shop downtown Minneapolis, I hate malls. I'm just an old fashion guy, I guess.

In a way it saddens me that places like Disneyland, Disneyworld, Mall of America, Vegas and other man made places get loads more visitors than natural attractions (i.e. Yellowstone. Yosemite, Niagra Falls, etc to name a few examples). But on the other hand, I guess it might be better for the preservation of flora and fauna at those natural attractions to not have as many visitors. I guess this is an upside of commercialization and man made attractions.

Now that is absolutely crazy, a Mall in Minnesota is the biggest attraction! That's a true sign of American capitalism. I avoid that place like the plague. I went there once and left less than an hour later and vowed to never return.
I shop downtown Minneapolis, I hate malls. I'm just an old fashion guy, I guess.

I went to Mall of America once....to my surprise, it was just....a Mall

No stores that I could not find in any other mall

I am surprised that Disneyland has been selected as the attraction spot for California? I've been there, and it's nowhere near as popular as Disney World in Florida. There is really not much there. There are so many more places that should have made the list instead. For instance, I would have picked Sequoia National Park.

My only purchase at the Mall of America was a quick cocktail before I exited. After all, I'm a proud member of the consumer class! :D

My only purchase at the Mall of America was a quick cocktail before I exited. After all, I'm a proud member of the consumer class! :D

They do have a Hooters

The National Mall in DC did make the list

I was there once standing in front of the American History Museum waiting for it to open when a couple of teenagers from the midwest came up and asked me where the mall was. I told them "This is the mall". They looked at each other and then asked me "How do we get in?"

They thought there was a secret entrance to the shopping areas

Indiana Dunes? Well, I guess it is the closest real beach to Chicago. So it makes sense.

I would have guessed the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. But then, there aren't any sports venues at all on the list, so I'm guessing they were excluded. For example, Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia had an attendance of over 13 million last year, which would have beat the 4 million for the National Historical Park.

To claim that Assateague National Seashore is the most popular attraction in Maryland is crazy. No way could they handle 2 million visitors. Nearby Ocean City could but not Assateague

When I was about 22, I took my first road trip across the country. I wrote every state's Department of Tourism for a list of things to see.

Kansas did not have a Dept. of Tourism....

In a way it saddens me that places like Disneyland, Disneyworld, Mall of America, Vegas and other man made places get loads more visitors than natural attractions (i.e. Yellowstone. Yosemite, Niagra Falls, etc to name a few examples). But on the other hand, I guess it might be better for the preservation of flora and fauna at those natural attractions to not have as many visitors. I guess this is an upside of commercialization and man made attractions.

The trees and widerness don't do anything.
You look at the trees, water, falls etc, and a short time looking is probably enough for most people.
Camping these days seems to not be for the majority.
And, there's no Mickey Mouse!
Mickey the Mouse only lives at Disney.

No slot machines, booze, dancing girls, and gaming tables in nature.

In the old NY Times forums [before they closed them] there was a poster who was a ranger in one of those big nature parks.
He quoted to us some of the comments left in the suggestion box by visitors.

Three classics;

. People wanted to know how they could get reimbursed for their food a wild critter ate.
. Complaining that the terrain was too steep, people requested that escalators be installed.
. Complaining about all the bugs etc, people wrote "Please spray the wilderness".

In Australia, a girl rang the radio and said that her 15 yr old girl friend, ...when it was announced that their school class was going to visit Uluru [monolith in central Australia]...was horrified to discover that there was no shopping mall atop/in it.

On my visit to Mammoth Cave, back in 1967, the tour guide said that there were 109 miles of explored cave. The lady next to me wanted to know how many miles of unexplored cave there was.

Forum List

Back