The Most Miserable Cities In America

If you ever visit the city, ask someone where the next 2nd line is. There's one every Sunday except in the dead of summer. You can BYOB or buy it from the unlicensed vendors that follow the parade.

My friend said you can pretty much drink anywhere in New Orleans.

Oh yes. All the bars have these things called "Go-Cups" - if you want to leave a bar before your drink is done, you ask for a go-cup, pour your drink into it - and go! )

Technically open containers are not legal outside of the French Quarter - but this law is virtually NEVER enforced. Many people live here their entire lives unaware that its actually a misdemeanor to drink outside the quarter. There are numerous unenforced laws on the books here - loud music after 7 pm, unlicensed street vending, etc.

If you do come down, please, spend as little time on Bourbon St. as possible. Its something you'd definitely want to check out if its your first time, but the music is better, the drinks stronger and cheaper, the patrons less obnoxiously hammered, and the streets are cleaner in other parts of the city.

That law is so unenforced, I didn't even know about it.

Agreed about Bourbon Street. Go for Pat O's, Tropical Isle (+/-) and Lafittes. Otherwise, not the best time to be had in the city.

San Francisco and LA are nice but way too expensive man, some of these clubs have dress codes that require you to dress like you are going for a job interview and a $30 entrance fee, and than they have the nerve not to serve Hennessy.:evil: I was denied entrance to a club in Sacramento because I was wearing a blue plad shirt and the guy told me thats a shirt worn by a local Crips gang there, fuck that. Down south you can have a lot of fun and its easy on your wallet. I would put New Orleans over any city in California, hands down.

Oh yeah, I had to laugh at your "too expensive" comment. There is a *somewhat famous* local bar called Ms. Maes in New Orleans. It's a total dive bar, but Mae who will sit in the bar from time to time, fancies it as a classy drinking establishment. She almost booted me out a few times for cussing too loud in front of her card club (I imagine). At any rate, the bar is known for it's "dollar well drinks".

Recently, Mae sold out and there was a near riot because the drink prices went up to.... $2.

Drink prices go up at Ms. Mae's bar in New Orleans | NOLA.com

Of course, they are making them with the cheapest booze in the bottle, so you will be hung-the-fuck-over the next day.

Ever go to the oyster bar a couple doors down - Casamento's? Love that place.

I remember the $1 Dixie drafts at Nick's bar. It was always a perfect place to round out Mardi Gras or any long celebration because for $20 you and a friend could get hammered. seems like a lot of underage drinkers and off-duty NOPD hung out there.

No. I regret that I always went to Cooter Brown's for oysters. I completely missed Casamento's. I didn't become a big oyster fan until after college. Did Nick's ever make a comeback after it got shut down due they guy getting host their? That was a great dive bar. Snake and Jakes too. Of course, I spent way too much time at AT II's (before the neighborhood association got it closed down and it became Mokey Hill), Grits, F&Ms, Tipitinas

Man, I miss NOLA.

Oh yeah, I had to laugh at your "too expensive" comment. There is a *somewhat famous* local bar called Ms. Maes in New Orleans. It's a total dive bar, but Mae who will sit in the bar from time to time, fancies it as a classy drinking establishment. She almost booted me out a few times for cussing too loud in front of her card club (I imagine). At any rate, the bar is known for it's "dollar well drinks".

Recently, Mae sold out and there was a near riot because the drink prices went up to.... $2.

Drink prices go up at Ms. Mae's bar in New Orleans | NOLA.com

Of course, they are making them with the cheapest booze in the bottle, so you will be hung-the-fuck-over the next day.

I remember the $1 Dixie drafts at Nick's bar. It was always a perfect place to round out Mardi Gras or any long celebration because for $20 you and a friend could get hammered. seems like a lot of underage drinkers and off-duty NOPD hung out there.

No. I regret that I always went to Cooter Brown's for oysters. I completely missed Casamento's. I didn't become a big oyster fan until after college. Did Nick's ever make a comeback after it got shut down due they guy getting host their? That was a great dive bar. Snake and Jakes too. Of course, I spent way too much time at AT II's (before the neighborhood association got it closed down and it became Mokey Hill), Grits, F&Ms, Tipitinas

Man, I miss NOLA.

Nicks is still closed, yep.

And you might have been better off at Cooter Browns - Casamento's is awesome but the wait can be forever and (save for the shucker) the service is slow (even by NOLA standards)

Ever make it to the Mother-In-Law? I just moved from that neighborhood. Antoinette K-Doe passed on mardi gras day a couple years back - her daughter betty ran the bar for a while but couldn't keep it going. Then it closed - and Kermit Ruffins bought it - and he's supposed to reopen it "soon" - but you know how that goes.

No, I know its not all peaches and cream in those places but for the most part the people I know who reside there are fairly happy, a guy I know in the Air Force got out and moved to Miami to become a DJ, he is having a blast.

Cess pools of crime, corruption, and hopelessness.

Almost every big city has that though, and I prefer living in big cities any day of the week over small towns where its so boring I can drill nails in the wall with my forehead.

Man, I miss NOLA.

Nicks is still closed, yep.

And you might have been better off at Cooter Browns - Casamento's is awesome but the wait can be forever and (save for the shucker) the service is slow (even by NOLA standards)

Ever make it to the Mother-In-Law? I just moved from that neighborhood. Antoinette K-Doe passed on mardi gras day a couple years back - her daughter betty ran the bar for a while but couldn't keep it going. Then it closed - and Kermit Ruffins bought it - and he's supposed to reopen it "soon" - but you know how that goes.

If I did, I don't remember it. Kind of like the Rendon Inn. I know I've been, I just don't remember going..

You know a bar I always really liked?

Phillips

Phillips Restaurant and Bar

The drinks were good, the bartenders were always hot, and it had a nice ambiance. I like how they call it a "Restarurant & Bar". LMAO.

When I left, the Marigny was just taking off.

I dont think it logically follows that the cities with those specific statistics are miserable.
Exactly. This merits a yawn. If this really measured the suckitude of a city, nearly every place in Hampton Roads VA would be on it. Total armpit. And nothing from Ohio? Or Mississippi? Riiiiight....

Ahh that red state of FL must love Bush right now.
FINALLY! Someone started the digression of yet another thread here into a wingnut cat fight! YAAAAAAAAAYYYY The left sucks! No wait the right sucks! Bush! Obama! Tea Party! There's my opinion and the wrong one! My side is always right! Yours is always wrong! blah! etc! blah!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Last edited:

No, I know its not all peaches and cream in those places but for the most part the people I know who reside there are fairly happy, a guy I know in the Air Force got out and moved to Miami to become a DJ, he is having a blast.

These folks are clearly miserable

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg0mf_bXA24]Black Men of Labor 2010 Second Line - "I'll Fly Away" feat Gralen Banks - YouTube[/ame]

Look at em. so MISERABLE.

Almost every big city has that though, and I prefer living in big cities any day of the week over small towns where its so boring I can drill nails in the wall with my forehead.

LOL!

I either wanna live in the big city - or I wanna live in the middle of nowhere miles from the nearest neighbor. A small town is like the worst of both worlds!

Most miserable city I've been to is New York. its a great place, I'd love to go there again - but the people there aren't happy. My 2nd night there I watched their local news and the big story that night was about how much the locals hated tourists.

Living in New Orleans - I don't really get that attitude. Sure, some tourists can be annoying, but its only because they are having a better time than they thought they would. Meeting people who have never been to my city and getting to show them around is one of the funnest things in the world to me. Last year, weekend before Mardi Gras, I'm watching a parade in the quarter and this dude turns around and says to me, with a British accent "Does this happen everyday here?" Turns out he was in for one night and had come over just to sell a million dollar cello and then hop a plane back the next morning. After I was done with him, I seriously doubt he made his flight. We drank till 5 in the morning. We started off at Laffite's, and I took great pleasure in explaining how General Jackson and Jean Lafitte planned the destruction of the British at the Battle of New Orleans - and the slaughter of a few thousand of his countrymen - almost 200 years ago on the roof of the same building.

Which reminds me - something that isn't taught much outside of the state - but the Battle of New Orleans was the most important battle ever won for our independence - it was the final battle with the British on our soil and we beat the ever living shit out of them. They teach that the battle didn't matter because the treaty had already been signed - but any historian knows that's BS. If the British had won New Orleans they wouldn't have simply said "Woops, you're right, we already signed the treaty, we'll leave!" - they would have said "fuck you and your treaty you traitors, its ours now" - and they would have had a critical port in the U.S.'s backyard. What started at Lexington and Concord ended with the rotting corpses of thousands of the King's men in the swamps south of New Orleans. They didn't fuck with the U.S. after that because General Jackson and Jean Lafite made dem bitches pay!!!

(yeah, I'm drunk, so what?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have we finally concluded that this "list" is entirely a contrived load of BS?

"Most miserable" implies that the people are in misery.

But checking people's state of misery isn't what this "List" is doing.

This premise of this article (or at least the premise of the list's articles TITLE) is nonsense.

Most miserable city I've been to is New York. its a great place, I'd love to go there again - but the people there aren't happy. My 2nd night there I watched their local news and the big story that night was about how much the locals hated tourists.

Living in New Orleans - I don't really get that attitude. Sure, some tourists can be annoying, but its only because they are having a better time than they thought they would. Meeting people who have never been to my city and getting to show them around is one of the funnest things in the world to me. Last year, weekend before Mardi Gras, I'm watching a parade in the quarter and this dude turns around and says to me, with a British accent "Does this happen everyday here?" Turns out he was in for one night and had come over just to sell a million dollar cello and then hop a plane back the next morning. After I was done with him, I seriously doubt he made his flight. We drank till 5 in the morning. We started off at Laffite's, and I took great pleasure in explaining how General Jackson and Jean Lafitte planned the destruction of the British at the Battle of New Orleans - and the slaughter of a few thousand of his countrymen - almost 200 years ago on the roof of the same building.

Which reminds me - something that isn't taught much outside of the state - but the Battle of New Orleans was the most important battle ever won for our independence - it was the final battle with the British on our soil and we beat the ever living shit out of them. They teach that the battle didn't matter because the treaty had already been signed - but any historian knows that's BS. If the British had won New Orleans they wouldn't have simply said "Woops, you're right, we already signed the treaty, we'll leave!" - they would have said "fuck you and your treaty you traitors, its ours now" - and they would have had a critical port in the U.S.'s backyard. What started at Lexington and Concord ended with the rotting corpses of thousands of the King's men in the swamps south of New Orleans. They didn't fuck with the U.S. after that because General Jackson and Jean Lafite made dem bitches pay!!!

(yeah, I'm drunk, so what?)

Johnny Horton The battle of New Orleans lyrics - YouTube

That's true. At the very least, the Brits would have sacked New Orleans. But it is likely they would have gotten up as far as they could on the Mississippi. There was no real military force in the west to stop them from taking St. Louis and if they made it to Canada, who the hell knows what the world would have looked like.

Jackson wasn't a perfect man, but he was a fighting son of a bitch.

Forum List

Back