The most damning element of this tragic American tale

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
Great WaPo column from Scarborough this morning.

<snips>

There was a time when conservatives supported limited government, balanced budgets and less debt. Not so long ago, conservatives also championed free trade, lower tariffs and the spread of democratic institutions across Europe and the world. And yes, conservatives spent the past generation championing an American exceptionalism with values casting our great country as a city shining brightly on a hill for all the world to see.

Onetime Fox News president Roger Ailes was fond of saying, “America has fed and freed more people than any country in the history of the world.” Ronald Reagan launched his historic 1980 presidential campaign with the Statue of Liberty as his backdrop . He framed America’s relationship with immigration in 1981 this way: “Our nation is a nation of immigrants. More than any other country, our strength comes from our immigrant heritage and our capacity to welcome those from other lands.”

A conservative former intelligence operative grimly recounted to me on Thursday how much the handling of these displaced children reminded him of the CIA facilities where terrorists were secretly held and interrogated after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001: “This reminds me of our black sites, except we were holding 100 or so adult terrorists for the killing of American citizens. Now 2,300 kids are held in unknown locations with unknown individuals inside and absolutely no outside observation.”

Trump’s obsession with wall-building and zero-tolerance has led Americans to this grim political spectacle. His personal cruelty and political ignorance have created a crisis that will kill conservative immigration reform and lead to future Democratic majorities. More troubling is the harsh reality now staring Americans in the face: Their president is a brutish political boss who has cheapened conservatism, sullied the office of the presidency and called into question the very character of a country once seen as the envy of the world. That so many Republicans still support this depraved man and his malignant movement could be the most damning element of this tragic American tale.​

Opinion | The most damning element of this tragic American tale

Both parties opened our borders.
Liberals and neo-Cons still want open borders.
Trump is making it more embarrassing for neo-Cons to expose who they are.

<snips>

There was a time when conservatives supported limited government, balanced budgets and less debt. Not so long ago, conservatives also championed free trade, lower tariffs and the spread of democratic institutions across Europe and the world. And yes, conservatives spent the past generation championing an American exceptionalism with values casting our great country as a city shining brightly on a hill for all the world to see.

Onetime Fox News president Roger Ailes was fond of saying, “America has fed and freed more people than any country in the history of the world.” Ronald Reagan launched his historic 1980 presidential campaign with the Statue of Liberty as his backdrop . He framed America’s relationship with immigration in 1981 this way: “Our nation is a nation of immigrants. More than any other country, our strength comes from our immigrant heritage and our capacity to welcome those from other lands.”

A conservative former intelligence operative grimly recounted to me on Thursday how much the handling of these displaced children reminded him of the CIA facilities where terrorists were secretly held and interrogated after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001: “This reminds me of our black sites, except we were holding 100 or so adult terrorists for the killing of American citizens. Now 2,300 kids are held in unknown locations with unknown individuals inside and absolutely no outside observation.”

Trump’s obsession with wall-building and zero-tolerance has led Americans to this grim political spectacle. His personal cruelty and political ignorance have created a crisis that will kill conservative immigration reform and lead to future Democratic majorities. More troubling is the harsh reality now staring Americans in the face: Their president is a brutish political boss who has cheapened conservatism, sullied the office of the presidency and called into question the very character of a country once seen as the envy of the world. That so many Republicans still support this depraved man and his malignant movement could be the most damning element of this tragic American tale.​

But drooling trumpanzees love all that. The sooner we realize that that is exactly what they love...the better we are off.

But drooling trumpanzees love all that. The sooner we realize that that is exactly what they love...the better we are off.

That is why I come to these boards .. My never-ending and probably futile quest to see into the mind of a Trumpkin. Oh I get their insecurities about demographic change and such. But they fail to see that Donald and his minions are lining their own pockets and not looking after blue collar Americans. Swamp gets deeper and smellier and yet they belly right up for a drink and somehow it quenches their thirst. Sad

That is why I come to these boards .. My never-ending and probably futile quest to see into the mind of a Trumpkin. Oh I get their insecurities about demographic change and such. But they fail to see that Donald and his minions are lining their own pockets and not looking after blue collar Americans. Swamp gets deeper and smellier and yet they belly right up for a drink and somehow it quenches their thirst. Sad

Actually, if he is holding people at the border, instead of letting them in, then he is looking out after blue collar Americans.

By your own OP, your lie is debunked.

Actually, if he is holding people at the border, instead of letting them in, then he is looking out after blue collar Americans.

Nonsense - We have plenty of jobs for these people. And they are jobs that blue collar Americans would not be interested in.
But hey, if Baby Gulags are your thing, then Donald is your man!

<snips>

You lost me at Joe Scarborough.

Nonsense - We have plenty of jobs for these people. And they are jobs that blue collar Americans would not be interested in.

Baby gulags? What on Earth?

The super-emotive appeal. Children and babies, the emotional nuclear option appeal.........

The OP is obviously brainwashed by CNN/MSNBC.

If it wasn’t so sad it would be hilarious.

Do you prefer the term "interment camps"?

Works for me

over-the-weekend-signs-appeared-on-empty-construction-sites-leaving-picture-id649984988

Blah, blah, blah I've grown tired of the never-TRUMPer's whining over conservatives used to support... Elected conservatives have caved time after time and gone back on their promises. We see this with Ted Cruz solution to hire more judges to deal with illegals using children to apply for amnesty. TRUMP makes 1 tweet explaining Cruz's solution doesn't fix the problem.

TRUMP is working 24/7 to get the things he campaigned on done. He is willing to take risks past presidents have not been willing to take in order to solve problems with foreign policy, trade and immigration, all while having the media constantly attack him, and the DOJ/FBI trying to intimidate him with the Russia investigation. Any other conservative would have caved in the 1st 90 days and been a lame duck for 4 years.

Your pretense that these illegals are just doing jobs that Americans don't want is noted and laughed at.

Why are you such a liar?

Thus, my point stands, he is looking out for the Blue Collar American worker. Your own OP disproves your claim.

The lib is hysterical. But I repeat myself.

The super-emotive appeal. Children and babies, the emotional nuclear option appeal.........

It is really ALL they have.

It is really ALL they have.
If you mean 99.9% of all politicians, pundits and voters regardless of political party then you'd be correct. If you're referring to this issue alone then you'd also be correct........

You mean you have plenty of voters registration cards for these people. Face it you have been duped by the eilite on the left into thinking this is all about humanitarian concerns when its all about the votes.

Forum List

Back