The more I think about it, the more I hope for Troop withdrawl

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Was sitting in a briefing today about ethics or attention to detail or something;wasn't really paying attention..

Anywho, re: North Korea...

As is the Army has a Brigade stationed there for 'defense'. I'd guess any 'expert' knows the brigade would be nothing more than a speed-bump on the North's path to Pusan. What good would it be to keep a brigade in The North's path, simply to die?

Now, wouldn't it make sense to move our troops to a place off the penninsula? This way, The North would still track to Pusan within a week's time, THEN we could bring our troops in for strategic strikes.

Makes sense to me---always hated the cannon fodder idea. If it's a political reason for them to be there, it's worse. They may as well be hostages.

-=d=- said:
Was sitting in a briefing today about ethics or attention to detail or something;wasn't really paying attention..

Anywho, re: North Korea...

As is the Army has a Brigade stationed there for 'defense'. I'd guess any 'expert' knows the brigade would be nothing more than a speed-bump on the North's path to Pusan. What good would it be to keep a brigade in The North's path, simply to die?

Now, wouldn't it make sense to move our troops to a place off the penninsula? This way, The North would still track to Pusan within a week's time, THEN we could bring our troops in for strategic strikes.

I am not sure it is even worth that effort anymore. I was first there in 78-79 - we were well liked and received. The dislike by the youth was just beginning. When I was there again in 85-86, it had changed exponentially.

I always liked the South Koreans and my time spent there. It is a beautiful country. I have kept up on event there since I left. The south seems to no longer want western influence/presence. Re-unification seems to be as big if not bigger than it was 15 - 20 years ago. The political influences are not the same as they were in the 40's and 50's.

With our global caability, I see no clear interest for us to be there anylonger and we are certainly not wanted. Put our bigade somewhere else.

HGROKIT said:
I am not sure it is even worth that effort anymore. I was first there in 78-79 - we were well liked and received. The dislike by the youth was just beginning. When I was there again in 85-86, it had changed exponentially.

I always liked the South Koreans and my time spent there. It is a beautiful country. I have kept up on event there since I left. The south seems to no longer want western influence/presence. Re-unification seems to be as big if not bigger than it was 15 - 20 years ago. The political influences are not the same as they were in the 40's and 50's.

With our global caability, I see no clear interest for us to be there anylonger and we are certainly not wanted. Put our bigade somewhere else.

i agree with you on all point but one.

the Koreans still very much like Americans and America. I too was stationed there from 86 - 89 and I still travel there about once a quarter now on business (am involved in the defense industry). You are right that unification is a big deal now, but then again, most don't really give a hoot. The people that have relatives still living in the north are dieing off (sure, their kids are still related to those in the north, but the kids have NO connection what-so-ever, so it isn't like they are "missing" anybody) and that is changing the outlook of the country.

Since Chun Do Hwan, every president, except the most recent, were folks that everybody knew would win before the elections because in the Korean culture, they felt it was owed to them - i.e. Kim Dae Jung, Kim Yong Sam, etc. Ro Tae Woo was the first elected president after Chun, but he wasn't well liked since he was an ex-General. However, if the Koreans had not split their vote between the two Kims, he would not have won.

Anyway, back to my point.

I too agree we should pull out of Korea 100% instead of just leaving 1 brigade. Now, I am not sure what their duties will be though. They might be needed to guard sensitive locations (like the bunker, Osan AB, etc.) but that is just speculation on my part. If they are not needed for that, then pull them out.

But again, don't fall for the media hype. There have actually been several pro USA rallies in Seoul over the last couple of years so we are not disliked by the majority of Korean no matter what some will have us believe.

My impression of a large (the largest?) portion of Koreans are businessmen first...the US brings a LOT of money to their communities. For that reason alone, there should be a lot of support.

-=d=- said:
My impression of a large (the largest?) portion of Koreans are businessmen first...the US brings a LOT of money to their communities. For that reason alone, there should be a lot of support.

you nailed it.

freeandfun1 said:
I too agree we should pull out of Korea 100% instead of just leaving 1 brigade. Now, I am not sure what their duties will be though. They might be needed to guard sensitive locations (like the bunker, Osan AB, etc.) but that is just speculation on my part. If they are not needed for that, then pull them out.

If we pulled out 100%, then the ROK would be responsible for all the facilities we would leave them including those at Osan AB (which is where I was stationed the 2nd time around), then security would no longer be an issue of concern to us.
:D

HGROKIT said:
If we pulled out 100%, then the ROK would be responsible for all the facilities we would leave them including those at Osan AB (which is where I was stationed the 2nd time around), then security would no longer be an issue of concern to us.

from what I understand, the Army are the only troops being pulled out. Perhaps I am wrong.

Even if I am wrong, there will still be facilities that will need guards (don't forget, the US is part of a UN contingent there - UNCMAC).

freeandfun1 said:
from what I understand, the Army are the only troops being pulled out. Perhaps I am wrong.

Even if I am wrong, there will still be facilities that will need guards (don't forget, the US is part of a UN contingent there - UNCMAC).

You are right about what has been publicized. I cannot fathom the Air Force being left there without the Army though.

As for the UN - I could go there, but that would take us off topic and probably bring action that would cause me GNASHING of teeth :teeth:

HGROKIT said:
You are right about what has been publicized. I cannot fathom the Air Force being left there without the Army though.

As for the UN - I could go there, but that would take us off topic and probably bring action that would cause me GNASHING of teeth :teeth:

but the air force is in many places that the army is not. correct?

as for UNCMAC..... and the UN in general, I would understand your gnashing!

*This is a message to all who have been posting in this thread for the past hour or so*

Thanks to all of you for your service, past and present. I've learned more in the last hour about NK in general, than in the past year!

Kathianne said:
*This is a message to all who have been posting in this thread for the past hour or so*

Thanks to all of you for your service, past and present. I've learned more in the last hour about NK in general, than in the past year!

You're welcome :) Just know that MOST people sure as hell don't WANT to go to Korea...lol :) But after we get back, most of us realize 'it ain't so bad'... :)

-=d=- said:
You're welcome :) Just know that MOST people sure as hell don't WANT to go to Korea...lol :) But after we get back, most of us realize 'it ain't so bad'... :)

exactly. i went there in 1986 as a "know-nothing" 19 year old and left an educated in life and different 22 year old. Many of the troops had a "fuck Korea" attitude cuz they hated that it was a one-year hardship tour (no families like in Germany). I went there saying, "cool, I'll probably never get to go to a place like this again". Well, needless to say, my experiences there have helped get me to where I am today and I am glad that I served there.

Thanks for the thanks Kathianne!

freeandfun1 said:
exactly. i went there in 1986 as a "know-nothing" 19 year old and left an educated in life and different 22 year old. Many of the troops had a "fuck Korea" attitude cuz they hated that it was a one-year hardship tour (no families like in Germany). I went there saying, "cool, I'll probably never get to go to a place like this again". Well, needless to say, my experiences there have helped get me to where I am today and I am glad that I served there.

Thanks for the thanks Kathianne!

You all deserve the THANKS! My pleasure. I forget to mention way too often.

-=d=- said:
In lieu of thanks, we also accept bikini photos. (yours, or of other women)

:p:

;) See IC references to Jim and Jackass! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

New Topics

Forum List

Back