The more I learn about other species

Crows/ravens are the smartest of all the birds.

Elephants are the smartest of all the nonhuman mammals.

My cat is really smart too and almost human. He is at least as smart as a middle school human child -- sometimes smarter.

I think ravens are actually smarter. They are about as big as a hawk and for some reason crows dont come around.

10 Fascinating Facts About Ravens
Ravens, although cousins to crows, eat meat, while crows do not....meat expands our brain size, at least claims are, it did with humans...? So, it would make sense that although the same family, ravens would be smarter.
Crows eat meat. I've seen them with my own two eyes. They are scavengers just like ravens.

some native Americans have myths that the Earth was destroyed a few times, once with fire, once with water and some other ways, because God was unhappy with what he created....but in these myths are stories that the first time God made animals, they had no awareness of feelings or basically consciousness of sorts....but the second time God created animals, they did....

this thread made me think of that.... :D

I think ravens are actually smarter. They are about as big as a hawk and for some reason crows dont come around.

Ravens, although cousins to crows, eat meat, while crows do not....meat expands our brain size, at least claims are, it did with humans...? So, it would make sense that although the same family, ravens would be smarter.
Crows eat meat. I've seen them with my own two eyes. They are scavengers just like ravens.
hmmm, I read somewhere a year or so ago, that basically, if you see what you think is a crow eating meat, it really is a Raven....

hmmm, I read somewhere a year or so ago, that basically, if you see what you think is a crow eating meat, it really is a Raven....
Ravens are pretty damn big. Crows are about the size of pigeons. If you have seen both of them you instantly can tell the difference. They sound different as well.

Ravens are pretty damn big. Crows are about the size of pigeons. If you have seen both of them you instantly can tell the difference.

Ravens are west coast right? I don't think we have them on the east coast?

And you have to wonder if dolphins had hands or fingers what would they be capable of.

Ravens are pretty damn big. Crows are about the size of pigeons. If you have seen both of them you instantly can tell the difference.

Ravens are west coast right? I don't think we have them on the east coast?
I think they are all over the US. I live on the west coast and we have both. I happen to have 5 or 6 ravens that live right by my house. I feed them sometimes. I dont know why but the crows that live in my city stay away due to the ravens.

Ravens are pretty damn big. Crows are about the size of pigeons. If you have seen both of them you instantly can tell the difference. They sound different as well.
Crows are big up here! Much larger than pigeons! even seagulls are HUGE up here....my husband and I laughed when we first saw one and thought HOLY SMOKES, those seagulls were enlarged radiation freaks!

YOU ARE RIGHT, just went to Audubon and both Ravens and Crows are omnivorous, they eat everything!

Crows are big up here! Much larger than pigeons! even seagulls are HUGE up here....my husband and I laughed when we first saw one and thought HOLY SMOKES, those seagulls were enlarged radiation freaks!

YOU ARE RIGHT, just went to Audubon and both Ravens and Crows are omnivorous, they eat everything!
maybe you guys have a different type of crow? The first time I saw a raven or rather heard it flying overhead it scared me it was so big. Ravens even chase the hawks away which is how I know they are the same size.

maybe you guys have a different type of crow? The first time I saw a raven or rather heard it flying overhead it scared me it was so big. Ravens even chase the hawks away which is how I know they are the same size.

I've seen crows mob owls and hawks - they're big enough, plus they gang up.

So ravens are a good bit larger - 27" to a crow's 20" - that is a big difference. Don't think I've seen a raven.

When I looked up the Raven's range - it was mostly west coast and north - not much central US or east coast - but, an interesting single band across WV, and I think I fall into that band. I've seen what I thought wre REALLY large crows...wonder now if they were ravens? Now, I want to look!!!

common_raven_map_big.jpg

When I looked up the Raven's range - it was mostly west coast and north - not much central US or east coast - but, an interesting single band across WV, and I think I fall into that band. I've seen what I thought wre REALLY large crows...wonder now if they were ravens? Now, I want to look!!!

common_raven_map_big.jpg
They live year round way up where I am....

I've seen crows mob owls and hawks - they're big enough, plus they gang up.
I've seen that as well. I dont think I've ever seen crows alone. They are always in a flock. I have seen 1 raven take on a hawk which is pretty impressive considering the talons on hawks. Ravens have big beaks so maybe that evens things out.

Forum List

Back