The Morality of Violence

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My ex-husband, who is a big comic book buff, forwarded me this article at work, which I thought raised some interesting moral and ethical questions. So naturally, I brought it here to discuss.

Superheroes no more: Column

A little girl named Laura was sent home with a note because she had brought a Wonder Woman lunchbox to school.

In the letter addressed to Laura’s parents, the school explained:

The dress code we have established requests that the children not bring violent images into the building in any fashion on their clothing (including shoes and socks), backpacks and lunchboxes. We have defined ‘violent characters’ as those who solve problems using violence. Superheroes certainly fall into that category.”

The author goes on to point out that this category includes the Founding Fathers, Abraham Lincoln, and Jesus Christ, among others.

That’s because violence is a tool. It’s not a good tool in the moral sense nor is it a bad tool. Surgery to save a life is laudable. Surgery to inflict pain is torture. A hammer can smash in someone’s skull, or it can build a house. To say that all kinds of violence are equally bad isn’t high-minded morality; it is amoral nihilism wrapped in a kind of gauzy, brain dead, sanctimony.

I have to admit to finding this explanation and the logic behind it concise and brilliant.

The article then discusses real-life heroics, as opposed to comic book, mentioning the three train passengers from Amsterdam to Paris who disarmed a would-be terrorist, and contrasting it with the violent slaying of Kevin Joseph Sutherland while dozens of people watched and did nothing.

If you know anything about superheroes, the underlying morality is pretty much everything. Supervillains use their powers for evil ends. Superheroes use theirs to protect the vulnerable and uphold the good. Teaching kids that there’s no difference between the two is the very opposite of moral education.

It reminds me of William F. Buckley’s
famous retort to those who claimed there was no moral distinction between the United States and the Soviet Union. If you have one man who pushes old ladies in front of oncoming buses, Buckley explained, and you have another man who pushes old ladies out of the way of oncoming buses, it simply will not do to describe them both as the sorts of men who push old ladies around.

A country, and a civilization, that actively chooses to render such distinctions meaningless has lost the confidence to sustain itself.

I'm sure my opinion of the subject is obvious. Some people say, "Violence is never the answer." I say, "Depends on what the question was."

Discuss.

I think teaching kids about super heroes and super villians is dumb to be frank. No one is a super hero and no one is a super villain. Everyone has good and bad in them. I'm sure the 3 guys on the train have some skeletons in their closet. Kids should be taught to praise the deed and not to worship the person. That gives them a better understanding of real life and prevents what i call the "fallen hero/heroine syndrome".

I believe violence to be immoral if there is no need for it. Violence in defense of oneself is a virtue.

I think teaching kids about super heroes and super villians is dumb to be frank. No one is a super hero and no one is a super villain. Everyone has good and bad in them. I'm sure the 3 guys on the train have some skeletons in their closet. Kids should be taught to praise the deed and not to worship the person. That gives them a better understanding of real life and prevents what i call the "fallen hero/heroine syndrome".

I believe violence to be immoral if there is no need for it. Violence in defense of oneself is a virtue.
>>Kids should be taught to praise the deed and not to worship the person.<<

Oh, I see. If you way anything admirable about the person that is tantamount to "worship" in your mind.

How does one honor the deed without honoring the courageous person who took the risk and did the deed?

The OP is referring to political correctness gone insane. It is detrimental to our nation and to our youth because it replaces natural moral law and diverts the nation from far more grave crises we are now in. Just like your Black Lives Matter movement is doing. Urban blacks are in a tailspin of agony and paths of destruction and immorality, but no one wants to exhort them to do the right thing. Instead it's all about victimhood. Tragic.

Now not allowing wonder woman lunch boxes is laughable beyond description. Now professors cautioning their students their grades will be lowered if they use the words male or female, or illegal alien. What insanity the left is capable of. This nation is in dire needs of heroes, not victims. This nation is in dire need of calling evil for what it is --- be it extremist Islam or criminals crossing our border. But no one expects President Loser to ever be that man.

>>Kids should be taught to praise the deed and not to worship the person.<<

Oh, I see. If you way anything admirable about the person that is tantamount to "worship" in your mind.

How does one honor the deed without honoring the courageous person who took the risk and did the deed?

The OP is referring to political correctness gone insane. It is detrimental to our nation and to our youth because it replaces natural moral law and diverts the nation from far more grave crises we are now in. Just like your Black Lives Matter movement is doing. Urban blacks are in a tailspin of agony and paths of destruction and immorality, but no one wants to exhort them to do the right thing. Instead it's all about victimhood. Tragic.

Now not allowing wonder woman lunch boxes is laughable beyond description. Now professors cautioning their students their grades will be lowered if they use the words male or female, or illegal alien. What insanity the left is capable of. This nation is in dire needs of heroes, not victims. This nation is in dire need of calling evil for what it is --- be it extremist Islam or criminals crossing our border. But no one expects President Loser to ever be that man.
You made a rather simplistic error in your first sentence. I said nothing of the sort. Maybe you should clarify before assuming.

Who told you that you had to honor a deed and why is giving a person honor for that deed impossible?

Just because you dont like the PC doesnt make it wrong. You may not agree with it but thats tough titties. If you had more influence people would go with your solution in doing things.

My ex-husband, who is a big comic book buff, forwarded me this article at work, which I thought raised some interesting moral and ethical questions. So naturally, I brought it here to discuss.

A little girl named Laura was sent home with a note because she had brought a Wonder Woman lunchbox to school.

The dress code we have established requests that the children not bring violent images into the building in any fashion on their clothing (including shoes and socks), backpacks and lunchboxes. We have defined ‘violent characters’ as those who solve problems using violence. Superheroes certainly fall into that category.”

The author goes on to point out that this category includes the Founding Fathers, Abraham Lincoln, and Jesus Christ, among others.

That’s because violence is a tool. It’s not a good tool in the moral sense nor is it a bad tool. Surgery to save a life is laudable. Surgery to inflict pain is torture. A hammer can smash in someone’s skull, or it can build a house. To say that all kinds of violence are equally bad isn’t high-minded morality; it is amoral nihilism wrapped in a kind of gauzy, brain dead, sanctimony.

I have to admit to finding this explanation and the logic behind it concise and brilliant.

The article then discusses real-life heroics, as opposed to comic book, mentioning the three train passengers from Amsterdam to Paris who disarmed a would-be terrorist, and contrasting it with the violent slaying of Kevin Joseph Sutherland while dozens of people watched and did nothing.

If you know anything about superheroes, the underlying morality is pretty much everything. Supervillains use their powers for evil ends. Superheroes use theirs to protect the vulnerable and uphold the good. Teaching kids that there’s no difference between the two is the very opposite of moral education.

famous retort to those who claimed there was no moral distinction between the United States and the Soviet Union. If you have one man who pushes old ladies in front of oncoming buses, Buckley explained, and you have another man who pushes old ladies out of the way of oncoming buses, it simply will not do to describe them both as the sorts of men who push old ladies around.

A country, and a civilization, that actively chooses to render such distinctions meaningless has lost the confidence to sustain itself.

I'm sure my opinion of the subject is obvious. Some people say, "Violence is never the answer." I say, "Depends on what the question was."

Discuss.
I've always enjoyed Jonah Goldberg's take on issues.....He sees things pretty clearly. Occasionally, he gets it wrong, but not too often.

In this article, he nails it.

Discuss.
Very eloquent. To say all violence is the same it would equate our killing of the Nazis with the NAZIs killing of the Jews. Or out killing of Islamic terrorist with their killing of helpless civilians.

There are many great acts of violence. Protecting a women from an abusive husband, protecting yourself from a robber or fighting a war to prevent a genocide are all righteous acts of violence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not true. There aren't super heroes in the sense of superman with powers, but there are superheroes who protect the in innocent- the police do it everyday! The American Sniper took out 100s of evil assholes, he is a superhero!

There are also supervillians. Some cause great destruction like OBL, the leaders of ISIS or Boko Haram. There are evil men that seek to destroy others for gain, Sharpton and Jackson come to mind or name an African leader!

Kids need to be taught this distinction. Too bad in the black community, the children are taught (not by their fathers because they don't know their father) to praise, look up to and strive to be the supervillian - the local drug dealing gangster and fight against the superheroes - pole-ezzz!

Not true. There aren't super heroes in the sense of superman with powers, but there are superheroes who protect the in innocent- the police do it everyday! The American Sniper took out 100s of evil assholes, he is a superhero!

There are also supervillians. Some cause great destruction like OBL, the leaders of ISIS or Boko Haram. There are evil men that seek to destroy others for gain, Sharpton and Jackson come to mind or name an African leader!

Kids need to be taught this distinction. Too bad in the black community, the children are taught (not by their fathers because they don't know their father) to praise, look up to and strive to be the supervillian - the local drug dealing gangster and fight against the superheroes - pole-ezzz!

You are wrong silly white person. Typically silly white trash as yourself have been trained to believe in such things as superheroes and supervillians. The people that lead you around by the nose understand it ensures your devoted ignorance to symbols, figure heads and susceptibility to emotional prompting.

Kids need to be taught humans are fallible and even the ones that do the most heroic deeds often are the ones that have the most dirt on them. Anyone you happen to infect with your silliness will fail at life exactly as you have.

I have the right to defend myself. If it escalates to the point of violence, I will get violent if necessary.

About a month ago, I heard some strange noises in my front yard and opened the door to investigate. What I saw was 2 guys kicking the crap out of one dude who was trying to defend himself and not doing such a great job of it (he had 2 on him).

I ran out the door, told them to knock it the f--k off, and ran back inside to get my phone to call the police. They were still kicking the crap out of him, but soon stopped when my neighbor showed up to back me up and he had a steel rod in his hand.

They then backed off, went back to their car, and took off. I got their license plate number and a description of them to 911 and the police that showed up later.

I didn't have to get violent, but I had to get those 2 guys to quit beating the other guy, and was prepared to do so if I had to.

Do I go out looking for fights? No. I'm kind of a pacifist, but I will defend myself and my family if necessary.

Teaching kids that there is bad violence and necessary violence is something that the parents SHOULD do, not the school, so I think that banning superhero lunchboxes is beyond stupid.

You are wrong silly white person. Typically silly white trash as yourself have been trained to believe in such things as superheroes and supervillians. The people that lead you around by the nose understand it ensures your devoted ignorance to symbols, figure heads and susceptibility to emotional prompting.

Kids need to be taught humans are fallible and even the ones that do the most heroic deeds often are the ones that have the most dirt on them. Anyone you happen to infect with your silliness will fail at life exactly as you have.
The deed is usually only as good as the person who does it! Heros and villains exist too bad the black community teaches their kids to worship the villains and hate the heros.

I have to agree with you about the superhero / villain stuff - it is actually based out of the occult and a tool of Satan. These super heroes are in reality - fallen angels - just as Lucifer is a fallen angel - notice Asceplias that none of them ever mention God, Jesus Christ. They all come from another planet, use their super powers to "save the day" (only Jesus Christ saves the day) use violence to resolve conflicts, operate in "powers" of the occult - in reality - it's all occult. I am not judging the person who said they had someone close to them who was a major buff in comics but my experience has been that many of them are highly trained witches and satanists and they use these comics to bait people into discussions in an attempt to set a trap for them. I know of one person in particular that is operating in very high level of satanic occult powers and never veers from his MO as a cartoon character and discussions about comics in just about everything he posts. There is nothing harmless about it. People need to stay away from it and stay away from the people that want to lure them into discussions about it. It's bad news all the way. I would not permit my children to have any such material or let anyone else bring it into my home to loan it to a family member. There are demons attached to such books and parents should be warned against permitting their children to have anything to do with such material. I would also warn parents not to permit their children to have any of the action hero figures, dolls, jewelry, posters, videos, movies, t shirts, pajamas, NOTHING with those characters on it or the occult symbols they secretly place on them - that includes a lunch box. Parents need to be vigilant. ZERO TOLERANCE for anything occult - make it a Rule for your home and you won't give Satan easy access to your children. Some parents wonder why their children are hyper, having bad dreams, anger issues, going into a rage, they need to check their children's rooms and see what is in there. Get rid of anything occult. Burn it - destroy it. Do not have it in your home. PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN, PARENTS! If you don't, who will?

Last edited:

Spoken like a true liberal who should never be allowed to voice an opinion on other people's children. Dumbass.

What uneducated fuckstains like Asclepias don't understand is that stories about fictional characters like superheroes and supervillians exist precisely for the purpose of teaching children distinctions about good and evil, moral and immoral, etc. Some people use fairy- and folktales, some people use comic books.

My ex-husband and I have actually had several quite productive talks with our 1st grader about the kind of person he needs to be, sparked by and based on superheroes. "With great power comes great responsibility" is a fantastic teachable line and moment . . . assuming you want your child to grow up into a strong, moral, responsible man, instead of a worthless criminal shooting sperm at every baby mama he lays eyes on before committing suicide by cop.

There is nothing that garbage like you has to tell me about raising and teaching children that I would want to know, because there is nothing about the offspring your garbage community turns out that I would want in my house and family.

I'll stick to teaching my children to aspire to being good people, instead of teaching them to be useless and excuse it by saying, "Nobody's perfect". Everyone you happen to infect with YOUR silliness seems to get shot. Hmmm.

I have to agree with you about the superhero / villain stuff - it is actually based out of the occult and a tool of Satan. These super heroes are in reality - fallen angels - just as Lucifer is a fallen angel - notice Asceplias that none of them ever mention God, Jesus Christ. They all come from another planet, use their super powers to "save the day" (only Jesus Christ saves the day) use violence to resolve conflicts, operate in "powers" of the occult - in reality - it's all occult. I am not judging the person who said they had someone close to them who was a major buff in comics but my experience has been that many of them are highly trained witches and satanists and they use these comics to bait people into discussions in an attempt to set a trap for them. I know of one person in particular that is operating in very high level of satanic occult powers and never veers from his MO as a cartoon character and discussions about comics in just about everything he posts. There is nothing harmless about it. People need to stay away from it and stay away from the people that want to lure them into discussions about it. It's bad news all the way. I would not permit my children to have any such material or let anyone else bring it into my home to loan it to a family member. There are demons attached to such books and parents should be warned against permitting their children to have anything to do with such material. I would also warn parents not to permit their children to have any of the action hero figures, dolls, jewelry, posters, videos, movies, t shirts, pajamas, NOTHING with those characters on it or the occult symbols they secretly place on them - that includes a lunch box. Parents need to be vigilant. ZERO TOLERANCE for anything occult - make it a Rule for your home and you won't give Satan easy access to your children. Some parents wonder why their children are hyper, having bad dreams, anger issues, going into a rage, they need to check their children's rooms and see what is in there. Get rid of anything occult. Burn it - destroy it. Do not have it in your home. PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN, PARENTS! If you don't, who will?

Congratulations. I thought Asclepias was spouting the absolutely most ignorant bunch of drivel humanly possible, but thanks to you, I now stand corrected. :clap:

Spoken like a true liberal who should never be allowed to voice an opinion on other people's children. Dumbass.
Too late. I have already put 7 non related children into college on academic scholarships. I have also coached basketball for several years. I have had several of those children and their parents come back to thank me for teaching them more than the game.

What uneducated fuckstains like Asclepias don't understand is that stories about fictional characters like superheroes and supervillians exist precisely for the purpose of teaching children distinctions about good and evil, moral and immoral, etc. Some people use fairy- and folktales, some people use comic books.

My ex-husband and I have actually had several quite productive talks with our 1st grader about the kind of person he needs to be, sparked by and based on superheroes. "With great power comes great responsibility" is a fantastic teachable line and moment . . . assuming you want your child to grow up into a strong, moral, responsible man, instead of a worthless criminal shooting sperm at every baby mama he lays eyes on before committing suicide by cop.
Of course a waste of sperm such as yourself wouldnt understand you can teach children distinctions regarding good and bad (not evil) without super heroes. To admit you struggle to do so lets me know you are lazy and shiftless. You let other people dictate what children should think. I guess thats the reason I find some many mentally fucked white kids looking for structure and closeness.

There is nothing that garbage like you has to tell me about raising and teaching children that I would want to know, because there is nothing about the offspring your garbage community turns out that I would want in my house and family.

I'll stick to teaching my children to aspire to being good people, instead of teaching them to be useless and excuse it by saying, "Nobody's perfect". Everyone you happen to infect with YOUR silliness seems to get shot. Hmmm.
Of course you wouldnt want to know. That would mean you would have to get off your lazy ass and put in some work. You should want to know as I have been an outstanding success as a parent. Its not often one sees every single one of your children become leaders one with a PHD and the others well on their way to the same success.

You keep teaching your silly superheroes and supervillians so your communites children can be left behind following the crowd into the corral of uselessness.

There is a movement with the left I don't see discussed much. They are determined to remove the backbone of every American. They believe the passive, even passive aggressive approach is the key to a better life. Anything assertive is wrong. Men are wrong. The only good man is essentially a woman with a penis. In other words it's the radical effiminization of our culture.

I just quit a dog forum because they are overrun with this group think. They think being the top dog in the house is barbaric and anyone that trains their dog that way is a bully. They gave me grief for training my dogs what NO means.

Unfortunately they have taken over schools and are actively brainwashing kids into this fantasy world that never existed or could exist. They have a zero tolerance policy even if your kid punched the bully that was punching him. No thinking required.

Forum List

Back