The Morality of Spending Your Children's Money

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Wiseacre, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Didn't get a response to this post from another thread, so I'll try again.

Let me ask the lib/dems a question: is it moral to spend your children's money on yourself? Isn't that what you're doing, increasing gov't spending and the debt/deficits for programs that help people today at the expense of our kids tomorrow? Used to be we sacrificed for our kids, now we expect them to sacrifice for us, how moral is that? Used to be we wanted to leave them a better world, now we want a better world for ourselves with no consideration for the world they will have to live in and deal with.

How moral is it to spend money you don't have, even with the best of intentions? It's not like the repubs haven't done it too, but not like the dems have, not that much. Everyone talks about class warfare, but not a lot of mentioned about generational warfare. Democrats talk all the time about raising taxes on the rich as though we can pay for all the social welfare programs with the extra revenue. But only a fool believes that receiving an extra $80 billion a year will make up for a $1.5 trillion deficit. And only a fool would take the chance of retarding economic growth and job creation at a time like this by raising taxes on those who would invest the most in new businesses. Now that's immoral.

2. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,480
    I don't think that it's a fair question, for several reasons:

#1. The debt has been run up by Republicans and Democrats, so to direct it at one side or the other is disengenuous.

#2. The premise is that we're using our kids money to benefit ourselves. First: many of the Entitlement and Safety net programs actually are benefitting the kids themselves so - faulty/unfair premise. Second: There are thousands upon thousands of ways the tax-money is used - Hundreds of Congressman and Millions of Voters. Nobody can really be blamed for each specific instance where funds are spent from borrowing and will be paid with future tax dollars. A single person / a single group should not have to answer to that because it's flat-out unrealistic.

3. Truthseeker420

Truthseeker420 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Ask the Republicans and their wealth distribution from middle class to the wealthy.

4. Wiseacre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194

I did say that repubs were guilty of this too. But I do think the dems are forever trying to spend a lot more money on social programs than the repubs do, so if you want to dispute that then have at it.

I noticed that you dodged the central issue, which is the immorality of increasing the debt/deficits for current spending. Sure, some of it goes to today's kids, but most does not. So tell me, it is moral to help today's children at the expnse of tomorrow's?

5. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,480
    I still reject the premise so there's no dodge, it's a complete rejection.

In effect - Government spending is supposed to be "for the People," which includes the Children and so playing that "card" is disengenuous, like I said. What part of Government spending doesn't in-effect benefit the children - at least in its intent, is what I'd ask. Seriously.

Running the Government is not the same as running your household.

6. Wiseacre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    So you've got no problem pushing all this debt onto future generations? 15 trillion, moving towards 25 trillion in another 10 years, and you see nothing immoral about it? They'll have to pay the interest on that debt, and take care of the aging boomers to boot?

7. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    baby boomers have voted themselves more entitlements than any other generation

totally immoral

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    o those little fuckers arent gonna pay ss......just ask them.....they will be setting people on ice floes

9. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    This would've been a better OP:

Didn't get a response to this post from another thread, so I'll try again.

Let me ask the necon/lib/dems/reps a question: is it moral to spend your children's money on yourself? Isn't that what you're doing, increasing gov't spending and the debt/deficits for programs that help people today at the expense of our kids tomorrow? Used to be we sacrificed for our kids, now we expect them to sacrifice for us, how moral is that? Used to be we wanted to leave them a better world, now we want a better world for ourselves with no consideration for the world they will have to live in and deal with.

How moral is it to spend money you don't have, even with the best of intentions? It's not like the repubs haven't done it too, but not like the dems have, not that much. Everyone talks about class warfare, but not a lot of mentioned about generational warfare. Democrats talk all the time about raising taxes on the rich as though we can pay for all the social welfare programs with the extra revenue. But only a fool believes that receiving an extra $80 billion a year will make up for a $1.5 trillion deficit. And only a fool would take the chance of retarding economic growth and job creation at a time like this by raising taxes on those who would invest the most in new businesses. Now that's immoral.

10. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,456
    I'm more worried about them being able to survive on this planet more than I'm worried about the debt.

Money can always be made, but we've only got 1 Earth.