The Monkey Syndrome

When I read this story

• I can learn from it.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I think people never behave like monkeys.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think there should have been five bananas and no cold water from the beginning.

• I think there never should have been a banana in the first place.

• Total voters

A long time ago, our point of view
Was broadcast by Mr. Bartholomew
And now the world is full of sorrow and pain
And it's time for us to speak up again

You're slack and sorry
Such an arrogant brood
The only purpose you serve is to bring us our food
We sit here staring at your pomp and pout
A7
Outside the bars we use for keeping you out

B7
You've taken everything that you wanted
Broke it up and plundered it and hunted
Ever since we said it
You went and took the credit
A7
It's been headed this way since the world began
When a vicious creature took the jump from Monkey to Man

E E7 A B7
Monkey to Man

Riff

E
Every time man struggles and fails
He makes up some kind of fairytales
After all of the misery that he has caused
A7
He denies he's descended from the dinosaurs

B7
Points up to heaven with cathedral spires
All the time indulging in his base desires
Ever since we said it
He went and took the credit
A7

E E7 A B7
Monkey to Man

D A
Big and useless as he has become
D A
With his crying statues and his flying bomb
D A
Goes 'round acting like the chosen one
Dsus
Excuse us if we treat him like our idiot cousin

E
He hangs up flowers and bells and rhymes
Hoping to hell someone's forgiven his crimes
Fills up the air with his pride and praise
A7
He's a big disgrace to our beastly ways

B7
In the fashionable nightclubs and finer precincts
Man uses words to dress up his vile instincts
Ever since we said it
He went and took the credit
A7

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you just love it when Repubs attempt to lecture and pretend they know anything about psychology.. :cuckoo:

Was this part of yesterdays mailed out talking points? :lol: No doubt the monkey story was poorly authored by a Republican.

LOL,

It would be even funnier if it wasn't so true.

We have much to learn about human nature and why things aren't working based on psychology, especially social psychology.

COGNATIVE BIASES mislead all of us sometimes and it is entirely possible that they always will.

Our brains were developed for another world than the one we live in and many of these cognative biases worked to our advantage when were were hunter gathering tribes, but work to our disadvantage now.

Here's a link to an overveiw of the different types of cognative biases that we all suffer from.

List of cognitive biases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those of you who play the market?

Knowing these biases might very well help YOU beat the market because some of those biases help explain mass market movements rather well.

Don't you just love it when Repubs attempt to lecture and pretend they know anything about psychology.. :cuckoo:

Pale Rider thinks that just because he has to see psychiatrist by court order that he is now some kind of mental health expert. :cuckoo: :lol:

Me thinks thouist didst not take psych 101 or any other psych class for that matter. It's a classic case study, readily attributable to humans no matter their political persuasions.

Pale Rider thinks that just because he has to see psychiatrist by court order that he is now some kind of mental health expert. :cuckoo: :lol:

Me thinks thouist didst not take psych 101 or any other psych class for that matter. It's a classic case study, readily attributable to humans no matter their political persuasions.
It is my understanding that this "classic case study" never actually happened and is in fact an urban myth.

I would like to see evidence to prove otherwise.

:)

It is my understanding that this "classic case study" never actually happened and is in fact an urban myth.

Okay......
It's a variant (retelling) of this experiment:

"Stephenson (1967) trained adult male and female rhesus monkeys to avoid manipulating an object and then placed individual naïve animals in a cage with a trained individual of the same age and sex and the object in question. In one case, a trained male actually pulled his naïve partner away from the previously punished manipulandum during their period of interaction, whereas the other two trained males exhibited what were described as "threat facial expressions while in a fear posture" when a naïve animal approached the manipulandum. When placed alone in the cage with the novel object, naïve males that had been paired with trained males showed greatly reduced manipulation of the training object in comparison with controls. Unfortunately, training and testing were not carried out using a discrimination procedure so the nature of the transmitted information cannot be determined, but the data are of considerable interest."

Sources:
Stephenson, G. R. (1967). Cultural acquisition of a specific learned response among rhesus monkeys. In: Starek, D., Schneider, R., and Kuhn, H. J. (eds.), Progress in Primatology, Stuttgart: Fischer, pp. 279-288.

mentioned in: Galef, B. G., Jr. (1976). Social Transmission of Acquired Behavior: A Discussion of Tradition and Social Learning in Vertebrates. In: Rosenblatt, J.S., Hinde, R.A., Shaw, E. and Beer, C. (eds.), Advances in the study of behavior, Vol. 6, New York: Academic Press, pp. 87-88:

http://www.sociallearning.info/home/pdf/social%20transmission%20of%20aquired%20behavior.pdf

It is and it isn't true. It is a phenomenon that is predicated on multiple factors and can be long term or short lived depending on environmental (social, hierarchical, individual) circumstances.

Last edited:

Okay......

"Stephenson (1967) trained adult male and female rhesus monkeys to avoid manipulating an object and then placed individual naïve animals in a cage with a trained individual of the same age and sex and the object in question. In one case, a trained male actually pulled his naïve partner away from the previously punished manipulandum during their period of interaction, whereas the other two trained males exhibited what were described as "threat facial expressions while in a fear posture" when a naïve animal approached the manipulandum. When placed alone in the cage with the novel object, naïve males that had been paired with trained males showed greatly reduced manipulation of the training object in comparison with controls. Unfortunately, training and testing were not carried out using a discrimination procedure so the nature of the transmitted information cannot be determined, but the data are of considerable interest."

Sources:
Stephenson, G. R. (1967). Cultural acquisition of a specific learned response among rhesus monkeys. In: Starek, D., Schneider, R., and Kuhn, H. J. (eds.), Progress in Primatology, Stuttgart: Fischer, pp. 279-288.

mentioned in: Galef, B. G., Jr. (1976). Social Transmission of Acquired Behavior: A Discussion of Tradition and Social Learning in Vertebrates. In: Rosenblatt, J.S., Hinde, R.A., Shaw, E. and Beer, C. (eds.), Advances in the study of behavior, Vol. 6, New York: Academic Press, pp. 87-88:

http://www.sociallearning.info/home/pdf/social transmission of aquired behavior.pdf

It is and it isn't true. It is a phenomenon that is predicated on multiple factors and can be long term or short lived depending on environmental (social, hierarchical, individual) circumstances.
Thank you. That is not quite the same thing at all.

:lol:

Didn't we do this stupid thread yesterday?

Rightwing email inboxes must be filling up

Republicans believe anything that is emailed to them...

Not much different than monkeys

Okay......

Sources:

http://www.sociallearning.info/home/pdf/social transmission of aquired behavior.pdf

Thank you. That is not quite the same thing at all.

:lol:

Pavlov would be more appropriate but the monkey study was discussed in one human behavioral course I took in the 80s. There were other studies that were used to better illustrate the phenomenon.

Learned Fear of

First of all, there is NO MENTION of any party affiliation in the story. Second of all, "I" am NOT a "republican." I am an "independent," and have been making that clear HERE since the last Presidential election.

Is this board filled with that many idiots with no attention spam or memory, or is this board filled with that many idiots that trip all over themselves if they think they see an opportunity to make some pathetic, dumbass, partisan hack joke?

I think both. This board truly does have some jacked off, shit for brains, morons on it.

Last edited:
First of all, there is NO MENTION of any party affiliation in the story. Second of all, "I" am NOT a "republican." I am an "independent," and have been making that clear HERE since the last Presidential election.

Is this board filled with that many idiots with no attention spam or memory, or is this board filled with that many idiots that trip all over themselves if they think they see an opportunity to make some pathetic, dumbass, partisan hack joke?

I think both. This board truly does have some jacked off, shit for brains, morons on it.

I think they're saying that because Foxy started the same thread yesterday afternoon, so they're cracking jokes about an email making the rounds, that's all...

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I think they're saying that because Foxy started the same thread yesterday afternoon, so they're cracking jokes about an email making the rounds, that's all...

Thanks for the tip, but this sort of partisan hackery and snipping goes on here day and night regardless.

The board needs some...

lefto-dismal.jpg

Thanks for the tip, but this sort of partisan hackery and snipping goes on here day and night regardless.

The board needs some...

lefto-dismal.jpg

:lol: Yes, we need to lighten up and remember UNITED WE STAND!

united-we-stand.jpg

Forum List

Back