The Monkey Syndrome

When I read this story

• I can learn from it.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I think people never behave like monkeys.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think there should have been five bananas and no cold water from the beginning.

• I think there never should have been a banana in the first place.

• Total voters

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
Start with a cage containing five monkeys.

Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string from the ceiling.

Place a set of stairs under the banana.

Before long a monkey will go up the stairs and reach for the banana.

As soon as he touches the stairs, all the other monkeys are sprayed with icy cold water which is quite unpleasant for monkeys.

When a second monkey make an attempt to reach the banana, again all the other monkeys are sprayed with icy cold water. A third monkey going for the stairs is prevented from doing so by the others.

From that point on no monkey dares attempt to reach the banana.

The cold water is put away and one monkey is removed from the cage and replaced with a new one.

The new monkey sees the banana and attempts to climb the stairs. To his shock, all of the other monkeys beat the crap out of him. After a second attempt followed by the same punishment, he no longer attempts to climb the stairs.

A second of the original monkeys is removed and replaced with a new one. The newscomer goes for the stairs and is atttacked with the previous newcomer enthusiastically taking part in the discilinary action.

One by one replace the third, fourth, and fifth monkeys in the same manner until
there are no monkeys left in the cage who have ever been doused with icy cold water. But any newcomer who attempts to climb the stairs to reach the banana will be attacked by all the others.

Why? Because in their minds it has always been that way.

MORAL OF STORY:

Every now and then, most or all of the monkeys should be replaced at the same time.

Sounds like fun...

Where can I get some monkeys?

As soon as he touches the stairs, all the other monkeys are sprayed with icy cold water which is quite unpleasant for monkeys.

When a second monkey make an attempt to reach the banana, again all the other monkeys are sprayed with icy cold water. A third monkey going for the stairs is prevented from doing so by the others.

The cold water is put away and one monkey is removed from the cage and replaced with a new one.

The new monkey sees the banana and attempts to climb the stairs. To his shock, all of the other monkeys beat the crap out of him. After a second attempt followed by the same punishment, he no longer attempts to climb the stairs.

A second of the original monkeys is removed and replaced with a new one. The newscomer goes for the stairs and is atttacked with the previous newcomer enthusiastically taking part in the discilinary action.

One by one replace the third, fourth, and fifth monkeys in the same manner until
there are no monkeys left in the cage who have ever been doused with icy cold water. But any newcomer who attempts to climb the stairs to reach the banana will be attacked by all the others.

MORAL OF STORY:

Every now and then, most or all of the monkeys should be replaced at the same time.

That is unfair. Not all of the GOP are monkeys.

MORAL OF STORY:

Not all posters are either.:eusa_angel:

How did spraying the other monkeys prevent the first one from getting the banana?

illiterate2.jpg

MORAL OF STORY:

No, but all the dimwits are!

How did spraying the other monkeys prevent the first one from getting the banana?

It didn't.

That's not the point.
If you read the story carefully, it is always the same banana. Notice the second monkey only attempted to reach the banana.

It says "the banana." It doesn't say the SAME banana.

And again, that is not the point.

For clarity purposes, you may assume monkey # 1 reached the fuckin' banana, ate it and someone replaced it before the second step of the experiment. :cool:

dammit, I knew this was about congress

stinking OP had to let the monkey outta the cage before I posted.

Nobody went up Mt Olympus either cuz someone got stung by a bee

so yeah, you can do this with people.

It didn't.

That's not the point.
If you read the story carefully, it is always the same banana. Notice the second monkey only attempted to reach the banana.

It says "the banana." It doesn't say the SAME banana.

And again, that is not the point.

For clarity purposes, you may assume monkey # 1 reached the fuckin' banana, ate it and someone replaced it before the second step of the experiment. :cool:
I know it isn't the point, but an instructive parable should be believable.

The word attempted should never have been included.

Also, I seriously doubt only one monkey at a time would go after the banana.

:lol:

dammit, I knew this was about congress

stinking OP had to let the monkey outta the cage before I posted.

Nobody went up Mt Olympus either cuz someone got stung by a bee

so yeah, you can do this with people.

A conclusion is that the presence of courage, innovation, risk taking, and ability to think outside the box is in direct proportion to how much group think is involved.

Forum List

Back