The money trail

jreeves

Feb 12, 2008
Obama is an old school Chicago politician, for example see exhibit A.

Exhibit A....
TheHill.com - Obama fundraiser attracts criticism from GOP, raises questions on ethics
An event Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) headlined last week has prompted head-scratching among Illinois ethics experts and drawn sharp rebuke from Republicans because one of the main organizers participated in Antoin “Tony” Rezko’s old fundraising network.

John W. Rogers Jr., the chairman of Ariel Investments who gave $22,500 in contributions to Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich (D) through Rezko, hosted a top-dollar special reception with Obama Thursday to raise money for the Democratic White House Victory Fund.

Rogers has also pledged to raise over $200,000 for Obama’s campaign. He was one of many political players whose name surfaced during Rezko’s recent trial. A federal jury convicted the Chicago political fixer of mail and wire fraud, aiding and abetting bribery and money laundering.

Rogers gave contributions of $10,000, $7,500 and $5,000 to Blagojevich through Rezko, according to a chart of contributions the Department of Justice (DoJ) presented as part of its case.

To be risking something like this for what amounts to be mere pennies in his coffers, this guy really must think his media-created persona is unquestionable, almost approaching sacrosanct. He may be right. A whole year of media coverage suggests he is. If you create a monster, I guess you feel the selfish compunction to protect it, hoping it is anything but.

Last edited:
I don't know...I read that article and all I see is politics as usual

Look, I do not doubt for a MOMENT that money coming into the OBAMA campaign is tainted by people whose business ethics are challenged or even downright criminal

What's more I do not doubt that any MAIN-LINE politician's campaign funds are tainted by business ethically challenged or even downright criminal.

THAT is the SYSTEM in place, today.

THAT is exactly why American politics are freaking ethical cesspool of influence peddling politicians in both parties.

We should fix the system for campaign financing, but of course we all know that the reason that doesn't happen is because the very people who have to agree to fix it are exactly the people who most benefit from it.

Bring us evidence of a crime, and then maybe we'll be shocked and outraged.

But the Bush Administration has set the bar pretty damned high to outrage me, let me tell you.

That administration, in my opinion is the most bent administration in my lifetime.

The affair that is being presented here about OBAMA isn't a molehill compared to the mountain range of graft that describes the Bush/Cheney administration during the last seven years.

Look, I do not doubt for a MOMENT that money coming into the OBAMA campaign is tainted by people whose business ethics are challenged or even downright criminal

What's more I do not doubt that any MAIN-LINE politician's campaign funds are tainted by business ethically challenged or even downright criminal.

THAT is exactly why American politics are freaking ethical cesspool of influence peddling politicians in both parties.

We should fix the system for campaign financing, but of course we all know that the reason that doesn't happen is because the very people who have to agree to fix it are exactly the people who most benefit from it.

But the Bush Administration has set the bar pretty damned high to outrage me, let me tell you.

That administration, in my opinion is the most bent administration in my lifetime.

The affair that is being presented here about OBAMA isn't a molehill compared to the mountain range of graft that describes the Bush/Cheney administration during the last seven years.

Wow, I didn't know Bush/Cheney were running for office? The reason this is such a big deal, One word...."change".....:cuckoo:

The bar on ethics was set by the democrats when they embraced and defended Clinton for committing perjury by claiming it was " all about sex". When they covered for him when he rented out the White House for contributions to his campaign, when they looked the other way while the Red Chinese bribed him to open up the trade routes, when it was just business as usual when he sold pardons.

Ah... but after the most corrupt admin ever, with the VP making energy policy with oil company lobbyists and execs, they think Obama should be a saint.

And do you notice the irony in them talking about Clinton, who hasn't been president in over 7 years? After all their years of being up his butt andabout70 million of our money to carry on their vendetta, they got a blue dress. (which of course, doesn't stop them from blathering on about things that Kenny-boy starr got nada on). But we're not supposed to discuss what a third term of bush policies and corruption will do?

Damn, they're pathetic. But I figure we can talk about the Keating 7 if they're bored and looking for someone to trash.

The bar on ethics was set by the democrats when they embraced and defended Clinton for committing perjury by claiming it was " all about sex". When they covered for him when he rented out the White House for contributions to his campaign, when they looked the other way while the Red Chinese bribed him to open up the trade routes, when it was just business as usual when he sold pardons.

Not really.

Those on top have never been held to the same standards of behavior as the rest of us.

I could mention the Iran Contra affair and say that the bar was lowered then, but that wouldn't be true, either.

The bar has always been set extrmely low for those in power.

Iran/contra was just another example of the imperial presidency getting away with murder.

I know you sincerely believe that the Rs are good guys and the Ds bads, one Retired, but I think you're being terribly niave.

The elite of the Ds or R are not your friends or mine.

I'm not convinced these people really care very much about this nation or its people except in the way that a farmer cares about its livestock.

I'll take that a tad further and suggest that that is basically how it ALWAYS IS no matter what kind of government we have, no matter what our economic system.

It's just human nature.

Power corrupts.

The corrupt are most likely to attain and keep power because they are willing to do whatever it takes to get power.

This is my, most people who attain great power are somewhat sociopathic theory, BTW.

In a shamocracy like ours these socipathic personalities in power are long on caring rhetoric, and damned short on real empathy for the people (and nation) they claim to care about.

That's exactly how they can, for example, talk about being fiscally conservative while spending money like drunken sailors or talk about how much they care about the working man while voting to ship their jobs offshore.

They'll tell us what we want to hear and then do whatever the fuck suits their purposes.

Last edited:
Obama is an old school Chicago politician, for example see exhibit A.

Exhibit A....
TheHill.com - Obama fundraiser attracts criticism from GOP, raises questions on ethics
An event Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) headlined last week has prompted head-scratching among Illinois ethics experts and drawn sharp rebuke from Republicans because one of the main organizers participated in Antoin “Tony” Rezko’s old fundraising network.

John W. Rogers Jr., the chairman of Ariel Investments who gave $22,500 in contributions to Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich (D) through Rezko, hosted a top-dollar special reception with Obama Thursday to raise money for the Democratic White House Victory Fund.

Rogers has also pledged to raise over $200,000 for Obama’s campaign. He was one of many political players whose name surfaced during Rezko’s recent trial. A federal jury convicted the Chicago political fixer of mail and wire fraud, aiding and abetting bribery and money laundering.

Rogers gave contributions of $10,000, $7,500 and $5,000 to Blagojevich through Rezko, according to a chart of contributions the Department of Justice (DoJ) presented as part of its case.

More Baracknophobia. I advise you to move to a conservative country, like Saudi Arabia for the next 8 years.

Ah... but after the most corrupt admin ever, with the VP making energy policy with oil company lobbyists and execs, they think Obama should be a saint.
And do you notice the irony in them talking about Clinton, who hasn't been president in over 7 years? After all their years of being up his butt andabout70 million of our money to carry on their vendetta, they got a blue dress. (which of course, doesn't stop them from blathering on about things that Kenny-boy starr got nada on). But we're not supposed to discuss what a third term of bush policies and corruption will do?Damn, they're pathetic. But I figure we can talk about the Keating 7 if they're bored and looking for someone to trash.

Lmao...you mean the energy policy that Obama voted for and MCcain voted against? So if anyone supported the Bush/Cheney energy policies that would be Obama. You want to talk about the Keating 5, which the lead investigator has admitted the only reason MCcain was mentioned was because the case would have solely implicated democrats.

More Baracknophobia. I advise you to move to a conservative country, like Saudi Arabia for the next 8 years.

No its called Barackreality...
:eusa_whistle: how about you discuss the article?
I don't blame you though, its probably hard for you to accept that he's a corrupt politician.

Forum List

Back