The Modern Age of Mass Shootings

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
Began in 1966 with The Texas Sniper - Charles Whitman.

Killed his mother (just like this guy did) - then went on a shooting spree up in the clock tower at the Univ of Texas campus.

Killed 16 I believe.

Was later found out that Whitman had a brain tumor.

Killed his mother (just like this guy did) - then went on a shooting spree up in the clock tower at the Univ of Texas campus.

Killed 16 I believe.

and he prolly hated the Beatles... ;-)

eta: an admittedly bad attempt at a li'l inside humor... my apologies... :)

Last edited:

Killed 16 I believe.

It's wrong to call this a Modern problem. Take a look at the 20's and the 50-60's in the US if you want to see a lot of mass killings going on.

The only real Difference today is a 24 hour news cycle that gives non stop coverage to each attack for weeks after the fact.

Killed 16 I believe.

Well, the "modern age" of mass killings is a hell of lot better than it used to be. Mass killings are on the decline. They peaked in 1929 have been declining ever since.

Incidents of mass murder in the U.S. declined from 42 in the 1990s to 26 in the first decade of this century.

The Facts about Mass Shootings - John Fund - National Review Online

But hey, can't let a tragedy go to waste, right?

Killed 16 I believe.

Well, the "modern age" of mass killings is a hell of lot better than it used to be. Mass killings are on the decline. They peaked in 1929 have been declining ever since.

Incidents of mass murder in the U.S. declined from 42 in the 1990s to 26 in the first decade of this century.

1929 is ancient history.

The entire fabric of American society changed in the mid 60s from 3 crimes: the Kitty G murder, the Chicago Nurses stranglings - Richard Speck, and the Texas Tower - Charles Whitman shootings.

Killed 16 I believe.

1929 is ancient history.

The entire fabric of American society changed in the mid 60s from 3 crimes: the Kitty G murder, the Chicago Nurses stranglings - Richard Speck, and the Texas Tower - Charles Whitman shootings.

Well, in any case, this "new fabric" of which you speak has resulted in far fewer incidents of mass killings. Them's the facts...and that's a good thing.

This age has gone way beyond shootings. This is the age of random violence. It doesn't matter where you are, or who you are or even what you are doing. This the age of the return of the jungle.

Forum List

Back