The 'Mixed Tape'

So much to say- Dave Matthews Band
Curbside Prophet- Jason Mraz
My Last Breath- Evanesence
I told you So- Randy Travis
The Dance- Garth Brooks
Street Corner Symphony- Rob Thomas
One Love- Bob Marley

Serious question...why do people like metal?

Same reason some people like country, some people like classical, and some people like opera? It's simply what appeals to a person. Opera doesn't appeal to me, and downright puts me to sleep. Pretty much everything else does, with a large portion of my tastes being geared toward metal, and hard rock. It has nothing to do with being angry, depressed, or anything else. It's actually rather energizing, and gives me motivation when I have one of those "Ugh. I hate this." projects to get accomplished.

Wait a minute...Didn't JA also do Wooden Ships in the Surrealistic Pillow album?

Perhaps not.

Hmmmm... damned alzheimers must be acting up again.

Meister is correct, it was on Volunteers........ I heard Jefferson Airplane's version first while a junior in high school....... really great memories. I heard CSN's version a little later. I've seen CSN numerous times in concert and it is always a highlight that they never play the same. The best was at Red Rocks, outside of Denver in the late 80s....... they were sucking oxygen between songs but there was an amazing amount of energy there...... a holy place for concert.

this is some interesting trivia on the song from Wiki......Wooden Ships - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Wooden Ships" is a folk-rock song written and composed by David Crosby, Stephen Stills and Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane fame in the late 1960s. The song was written and composed on Crosby's boat in Florida. Crosby composed the music, and Stills and Kantner wrote most of the lyrics.[1].
Kantner could not be credited as one of the joint authors-composers on the original release of Crosby, Stills & Nash due to legal issues, but he is thus credited on the 2006 re-release. The song was also released by Jefferson Airplane the same year on the album Volunteers. Both versions are considered to be original versions of the song, although they differ slightly in wording and melody.
Crosby recorded a solo demo in March 1968, with the melody but no lyrics at this stage. Stills recorded his own demo the following month with most of the lyrics now in place.
"Wooden Ships" was written at the height of the Vietnam War, a time of great tension between the United States and the Soviet Union, nuclear-armed rivals in the Cold War. Like Tom Lehrer's "We Will All Go Together When We Go" and Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction," the song seems to deal with ever-present fears of an apocalyptic nuclear war.
In this interpretation, the words of the song depict the horrors confronting the survivors of a nuclear holocaust in which the two sides have annihilated each other. A man from one side stumbles upon a man from the other side and asks him "Who won?" To stay alive, they share berries that have presumably not been poisoned by radiation. The lyrics beg "silver people on the shoreline" to "let us be"; these are commonly held to be men wearing radiation suits. As wooden ships carry the survivors away, radiation kills those who have not made it aboard:
Horror grips us as we watch you die
All we can do is echo your anguished cries
Stare as all human feelings die
However, Stills has stated at music festivals that the song is in fact about the Holocaust in Europe during World War II. Though the obscure lyrics do not refer specifically to the events of the war, the story of the song can be interpreted as the meeting of two deserters or non-Jewish individuals who are fleeing Europe to avoid starvation or participation in anti-Semitic violence. In this context, the "silver people on the shoreline" may refer to Nazi soldiers. The lyrics "Horror grips us as we watch you die / All we can do is echo your anguished cries, / Stare as all human feelings die" could indicate that the characters in the song are observing a horrific slaughter yet can do nothing to prevent it.

Forum List

Back