The Misinformed Tea Party Movement

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
The Misinformed Tea Party Movement - Forbes.com

On March 16 the Tea Party crowd showed up for yet another demonstration on Capitol Hill in Washington. Curious about the factual knowledge these people have regarding the issues they are protesting, my friend David Frum enlisted some interns to interview as many Tea Partyers as possible on a couple of basic questions. They got 57 responses--a pretty good-sized sample from a crowd that numbered between 300 and 500 people. (Survey results are here.)

The first question that was asked concerned the size of government. Tea Partyers were asked how much the federal government gets in taxes as a percentage of the gross domestic product. According to Congressional Budget Office data, acceptable answers would be 6.4%, which is the percentage for federal income taxes; 12.7%, which would be for both income taxes and Social Security payroll taxes; or 14.8%, which would represent all federal taxes as a share of GDP in 2009.

Tuesday's Tea Party crowd, however, thought that federal taxes were almost three times as high as they actually are. The average response was 42% of GDP and the median 40%. The highest figure recorded in all of American history was half those figures: 20.9% at the peak of World War II in 1944.

To follow up, Tea Partyers were asked how much they think a typical family making $50,000 per year pays in federal income taxes. The average response was $12,710, the median $10,000. In percentage terms this means a tax burden of between 20% and 25% of income.

Of course, it's hard to know what any particular individual or family pays in taxes, but according to IRS tax tables, a single person with $50,000 in taxable income last year would owe $8,694 in federal income taxes, and a married couple filing jointly would owe $6,669.

Tea Partyers also seem to have a very distorted view of the direction of federal taxes. They were asked whether they are higher, lower or the same as when Barack Obama was inaugurated last year. More than two-thirds thought that taxes are higher today, and only 4% thought they were lower; the rest said they are the same.

As noted earlier, federal taxes are very considerably lower by every measure since Obama became president. And given the economic circumstances, it's hard to imagine that a tax increase would have been enacted last year. In fact, 40% of Obama's stimulus package involved tax cuts. These include the Making Work Pay Credit, which reduces federal taxes for all taxpayers with incomes below $75,000 by between $400 and $800.

According to the JCT, last year's $787 billion stimulus bill, enacted with no Republican support, reduced federal taxes by almost $100 billion in 2009 and another $222 billion this year. The Tax Policy Center, a private research group, estimates that close to 90% of all taxpayers got a tax cut last year and almost 100% of those in the $50,000 income range

Whatever the future of the Tea Party movement in American politics, it's a bad idea for so many participants to operate on the basis of false notions about the burden of federal taxation. It only takes a little bit of time to look at one's tax return to see what one is actually paying the Treasury, calculate the percentage of one's income that goes to taxes, and compare it with what was paid last year and the year before. People may then discover that their anger is misplaced and channel it into areas where it is more likely to bring about positive change.

And the author?

Bruce Bartlett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bruce Bartlett (b. October 11, 1951, in Ann Arbor, Michigan) is an American historian who turned to writing about supply-side economics. He was a domestic policy adviser to President Ronald Reagan and was a Treasury official under President George H.W. Bush.

In 1976, Bartlett changed careers, going to work for Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas). Bartlett spent much of his time working with the House Banking Committee, of which Paul was a member, which involved Bartlett in economic issues.

In January 1977, Bartlett went to work for Congressman Jack Kemp (R-New York) as staff economist. Bartlett spent much of his time on tax issues, helping to draft the Kemp-Roth tax bill, which ultimately formed the basis of Ronald Reagan's 1981 tax cut

In 1987, Bartlett became a senior policy analyst in the White House Office of Policy Development, then headed by Gary Bauer. In 1988, Bartlett left to become deputy assistant secretary for economic policy at the Treasury Department, where he served until the end of the administration of George H.W. Bush. He worked briefly at the Cato Institute in 1993.

And the plot thickens. Thoughts?

These include the Making Work Pay Credit, which reduces federal taxes for all taxpayers with incomes below $75,000 by between $400 and $800.
Total lie....All that did was adjust the withholding rates, not the tax rates. Anyone can get the same "tax cut" by increasing the number of dependents on your W-4.

Claiming others are "misinformed" while using an outright lie as your support rings awfully hollow.

Total lie....All that did was adjust the withholding rates, not the tax rates. Anyone can get the same "tax cut" by increasing the number of dependents on your W-4.

Claiming others are "misinformed" while using an outright lie as your support rings awfully hollow.

But wouldn't they, oh I don't know, have the IRS knocking on their door if they can't prove they have X number of dependents?

Damn it

Don't try to confuse the Tea Baggers

If they say taxes are higher....they are higher. 20 zillion protesters can't be wrong

These include the Making Work Pay Credit, which reduces federal taxes for all taxpayers with incomes below $75,000 by between $400 and $800.

did you mean exemptions?

When you add in SocSec and Medicare, Tax Freedom Day comes right after Thanksgiving

Document your claim

LOL.........isnt it funny how invariably, it is always those with zero life responsibilities who either author threads like this or jump on the bandwagon on these threads.

Bozo's like Rightwinger or Dogbart.............have but to answer for themselves each day, maybe make a car payment and take out the trash and make sure there is enough toilet paper on hand in the place of residence. Of course the level of idealism as an approach to life is going to be stratospheric and the tea party people cast in the light of being a handful of folks with guns.!!:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
616px-Obama-Nazi_comparison_-_Tea_Party_protest.jpg

Great thread.

The quote in my siggy is also from Bartlett.

You should read that article when you get the chance.

Document your claim

I'm splitting my $800 tax cut between my 22 & 23 year old sons. I figure that's only fair, it is their and future generations they're borrowing the money from to cut my taxes (plus for tax puposes I'm claiming them as dependents and so they are both out the $400 tax cut even though it was already provided to them through the lower withholding rates).

Personally I think Obama and those in Congress that approved the tax cut should be burned at the stake. I believe that is rightful punishment for adding yet more forms or schedules to the already bloated tax system. It took 3 downloads of my TurboTax software to get it right. First it told me I was ineligible for the credit. Then it somehow came up with a $550 credit. I continued the tax return and waited a week. Then on Friday I downloaded the latest updates and presto-change-oh, there was my full $800 credit.

Last edited:

Document your claim

stfu

But wouldn't they, oh I don't know, have the IRS knocking on their door if they can't prove they have X number of dependents?

No. Yet another instance of Doggie spouting off on things about which he knows nothing.

When an employee fills out a W4, he can adjust allowances to determine how much tax to withhold. Look it up - you might need to fill one out some day.

The IRS doesn't pound on the doors of individuals to check how many people live in the house or to inspect mortgage statements to see if the withholding allowance for mortgage interest is accurate. And you should hope...well, a rational person would...that the IRS never gets to the point where it has the staff to perform such surveillance.

Last edited:
Say what you will, there is a grassroots movement that is spreading that is obviously distrustful of big government, and this movement is growing. The grand social experiment that is Marxism is increasingly being exposed and I'm sure that bothers you. Get over it, it is only going to get worse, for you that is.

"Of course, it's hard to know what any particular individual or family pays in taxes, but according to IRS tax tables, a single person with $50,000 in taxable income last year would owe $8,694 in federal income taxes"

add in property tax, sales taxes, car registration tax, food tax, and it ends up being about 10,000 dollars a year.

That's outrageous! So that means for 2 1/2 months, you work to give money to the government.

And then the democrats act all high and mighty because they take YOUR money and give it to someone else in the form of entitlements.

Or to themselves in the form of salary.

New Topics

Forum List

Back