The Mirror!

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
A word about message boards....from a great photographer, Ken Rockwell (and I'm as guilty as anybody) But this is SO TRUE!!!! Even here, sorry.....No, I'm not.

A huge problem with forums is the people who post the most shoot the least. These forums make it tough to know the credentials of the posters. More weight is given to well-spoken frequent contributors than a competent professional who might step in to help. Worse, the crankiest members of the forum will proceed to heckle the one guy who knows and tried to help, and then he never returns.

Photographers tend to be crummy writers. Forums are overloaded with comments from the people you most want to avoid. Many of these people don't even own the gear they're discussing; they just like to talk! Not that all the information is bad, but it is disproportionately weighted in the wrong direction.

Look at any forum on any subject from art to zebras, and you'll see many who spend more time calling each other stupid than discussing the topic.
Many who live in these forums take more pleasure in hurling epithets than in discussing the topic. As any high-school psychology student knows, these guys are confirming Freud's observations that all human action is based on making oneself feel important. I prefer to do this by creating bitchin' photos. Forum posters find it easier to try to look smart by posting as much as they can. Don't let yourself get distracted by the bickering or people trying to throw out a lot of information to look smart. Go make photos and see for yourself what looks good.

Euphemize these as "forums" or "online discussions," but they're still just chat rooms. They're the best places to get the worst information, since the least educated are the ones who contribute the most. Those who know the most are too busy making more photos to spend much time there.

I see it completely different Mr. P.. I see the internet, and it's world wide. I see this as the only chance I have of voicing "my" opinion where more than just the people I work with will hear it. That's all.

For a field like photography, where technical expertise(sp?), experience, etc. needed to be a good photographer, then I could understand where he's coming from. If it's something where anyone could have their own opinion about something, like what constitutes good music or good public policy, then I would tend to disagree.

Actually, aside from this board, I'd say that his observation is correct. Look at any of the yahoo boards or random message boards that are out there. They are all full of sel-proclaimed experts on any possible subject you could imagine and in reality they know nothing of what they are talking about.

This board has been the 1 exception that ive found out there. Im sure there are more but those are in the minority.

insein said:
Actually, aside from this board, I'd say that his observation is correct. Look at any of the yahoo boards or random message boards that are out there. They are all full of sel-proclaimed experts on any possible subject you could imagine and in reality they know nothing of what they are talking about.

This board has been the 1 exception that ive found out there. Im sure there are more but those are in the minority.

This board displays human tendencies like any other IMHO.

dilloduck said:
This board displays human tendencies like any other IMHO.

Dang it. I thought i made myself robotic enough to avoid that. need to go back to the shop and install some new parts.....

I think what he meant is its not as bad as places like yahoo and such and i agree.

Dang it. I thought i made myself robotic enough to avoid that. need to go back to the shop and install some new parts.....

I think what he meant is its not as bad as places like yahoo and such and i agree.

LOL--on somedays I've seen things get pretty damn wacky here but ok--
USMB IS BETTER THAN A LOT OF OTHER PLACES !!! :rock: :rock:

dilloduck said:
LOL--on somedays I've seen things get pretty damn wacky here but ok--
USMB IS BETTER THAN A LOT OF OTHER PLACES !!! :rock: :rock:

I'd say so. I'd been through about ten different boards before I settled in here, and I've been here longer than all the others, and enjoyed it more too.

This is a good board. There's good people here.

this is a very good board. On another Germam political messageboard in order
to avoid spam, Neonazis, Turkish and Russian nationalists, communist and anti-American assholes I have about 90 people on ignore.

The disruptive ones are so few on here that I havent had to do that here at all.

Forum List

Back