The Mirror Image Van Takes Ill-ary Away???

• Let's see if you are even teachable:

• A mirror doesn't reverse left to right either as you will see with an asymmetric object. Imagine the mirror is one of those impression taking toys that had a dense number of pins in which are pushed back on contact and retain the 3D shape. Now imagine pressing your body into it and step back. The illusion is, because we are roughly symmetrical, that there has been a left/right inversion. The reality is your right side is on the right side of the image.

R. Shaw, Bramshill, Hampshire
  • Mirrors don't reverse left to right, they reverse front to back. Consider this, when you look at yourself in a mirror, it appears to you that your reflection is another person who looks just like you standing behind a piece of glass, at the same distance from the glass as yourself and facing you. To get there, you reason, that person walked behind the glass and - here's the important bit - turned 180 degrees about the vertical axis to face you. Now his/her left hand should be opposite your right hand, and vice versa. In fact this assumption is wrong. Your reflection didn't do a 180 degree turn. It was reversed front to back with no rotation at all. Your brain mentally subtracts the 180 degree turn that you assume must have happened from the observed front to back reversal and what do you get? An apparent left to right reversal!

Mike Burton, Twickenham UK
  • The mirror does not reverse images from left to right, it reverses them from front to back relative to the front of the mirror. Stand facing a mirror. Point to one side. You and your mirror image are pointing in the same direction. Point to the front. Your mirror image is pointing in the opposite direction to you. Point upwards. You both point in the same direction. Now stand sideways on to the mirror and repeat. You are now pointing in opposite directions when you point sideways. Place the mirror on the floor and stand on it. This time you point in opposite directions when you point upwards and your upside down image points downwards. In all cases the direction reverses only when you point towards or away from the mirror. The answer stems from the fact that a reflection is not the same as a rotation. Our bodies have a strong left-right symmetry, and we try to interpret the reflection as a rotation about a central vertical axis. We imagine the world in front of the mirror has been rotated through 180¡ about the mirror's vertical axis, and it has arrived behind the mirror where we see the image. Such a rotation would put the head and feet where we expect them, but leaves the left and right sides of the body on opposite sides to where they appear in the reflection. But if instead we imagine the world to have been rotated about a horizontal axis running across the mirror, this would leave you standing on your head, but would keep the left and right sides of your body in the expected positions. The image would then appear top/bottom inverted, but not left-right. So whether you see the image as left-right inverted or top-bottom inverted, or for that matter inverted about any other axis, depends upon which axis you unconsciously (and erroneously) imagine the world has been rotated about. If you lie on the floor in front of a mirror you can observe both effects at once. The room appears left-right reflected about its vertical axis, while you interpret your body as being left-right reflected about a horizontal axis running from head to foot.

matthew payne, london
  • Lie on your side and look in a mirror. Now what sort of reversal is it? A mirror image is not left-right reversal, it is simply a mirror image.

David Pearce, Birmingham UK

thats wild, p.c.

cuz....

is my chest tatt on my left, or on my right?

:uhoh3:did it move?

SuperPhoto_160528055005.jpg
Screenshot_20160917-090825.png

images

Here, above....from the passenger side...as in your post.

Here, from the driver's side....and, look....NoNukes at the wheel:

images

Clearly, the two views are from opposite sides of the vehicle...as I posited.

Ill-ary was tossed into the van from the left....and from the right.

Explanation?????

Hey PC, what side is the van in this picture showing?

Van2.jpeg

Any reason you aren't answering this PC? ;)

Curiouser and curiouser.....

Check out this vid.....

How can the van be seen approaching from the left and from the right.....???????

Heard a caller claim that there is a body double of Ill-ary....

Could this vid add credence to this claim?

Remember this oldie.....
The eight Saddam body doubles are gathered in one of the bunkers in downtown Baghdad. Tariq Aziz, the deputy prime minister, comes in and says, "I have some good news and some bad news."

There was a bomb attack, and Saddam was the target....

They ask for the good news first. Aziz says, 'The good news is that Saddam is still alive, so you all still have jobs."

"And the bad news?" they ask. Aziz replies, "He's lost an arm."

Jesus Christ on a bicycle you are stupid.

Typical Political Spice thread. She posts something that she cuts and pastes. Then a liberal shows up and makes her look stupid.
Doing something repeatedly and expecting different results is a sign of mental illness.

Zoom's post just helped me prove it again, you dunce.

I rendered you speechless.

Forum List

Back