The mind and reality

The art of philosophy simply seeks to examine the validity of a given logic. That is all philosophy does and should - pretty much. However, we have to get few facts right about the world we live in before we can engage in philosophy. It becomes especially necessary when absurdities take over a thread in Science and Technology or Philosophy section.

When Theory of Big Bang (Big Bang Theory) started to gain prominence, it got nutcases all excited because it stated that universe was not always around and that it had a beginning and perhaps it will have an end. This was an exciting news to them because to them this meant that there was a creator who created the universe. But we will leave the creator alone in this post and focus on time alone for the time being. There is no such thing as eternity because universe itself has beginning and end. Analysis of background microwave radiation and few other things establish the age of our universe to be around 20-billion years.

The very concept of eternity implies that there is no ending to time. However, time along with space, matter, etc. is just one of the components of the universe that came into being at the time universe came about. So it had a beginning and it will have an end. When the time ends, how will your eternity continue since its very existence is centered on the concept of endless time?

One of the hardest things to get your head wrapped around when you are trying to understand the mojo of theory of relativity is light cone. If you are interested in understanding light cone, please head to Delta's thread on theory of relativity. I have explained in detail what a light cone is with diagrams and some mathematics. In brief, if you are standing at the tip of the vertices of the light cone, you will go in future if you head up; you will end up in past if you head down. (I am posting the diagram below for your visualization. )

That is an equilibrium we find ourselves at - at least us mortals do. But it all can change and you can just as easily find yourself in future or past light cone with a slight rearranged spacetime geometry. If you look at the diagram, the past light cone has a focus. This tells you that time has a beginning. The future light cone too has a focus. This tells you that time has an ending. This tells you few other things but I will just mention one more: the universe has a horizon. This means that the universe is finite.

481px-World_line.svg.png

Light cone - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Man is doomed to "discover" partial truths that only serve to pose more questions. I'm sure some have a great time with partial truths.

Best answer so far.

But I do have a problem with "truths". Because the definition leads one into yet another labyrinth.

I guess we could call them observations transformed into a " framework language" that some people can speak.
I would put it another way. Our mind creates our reality through all the senses including language. These get re-created into language when we want to transmit our construct of reality. So the old saying that goes "what you mean and what you said and what I think you mean is not always the same as what I say is what I think you meant."

Hey: It's early morning here. Where's my coffee!!!

Greg

Has anyone mentioned Popper yet??

Greg

He had to move to New Zealand, to get away from the Nazis. Despite his being a Lutheran.

He was indeed a GREAT thinker, but always insisted that he was only an amateur Philosopher and suggested that all Philosophers should be amateurs. The role of creativity in Science, and hence knowledge and truth, is central and re-enforces the nature of Humanity as creative beings.

Another important aspect of Popper’s scientific view is that Popper considers the formation of a scientific hypothesis a creative and imaginative process. There is just no ‘scientific method’ by which a scientist can form a hypothesis. He has to be original and creative, and to use his imagination. It shows the role creativity and imagination has to play in the progress of science. Great scientific theories like theory of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics are the result of the spontaneous and intuitive ideas of the scientists. It is this creative aspect of Popper’s scientific method which has been admired by the scientists, and has also been a factor leading to the popularity of this point of view.

An Amateur s History of Modern Philosophy Karl Popper

So is there any truth in the statement that "Man created God"? Of course there is, but even so one cannot falsify that God, irrespective of our creativity, exists and is a personal God.

Greg

JP Bedard...Touching the Veil of Thin Places..

"Bluebells"
by: JP Bédard

"On your way, a road
You must walk all alone
But the road you're on
You are not
On your own

Today I awoke in a world
All in enchanted
Looking for the place
Always taken for granted

Content with being lost
Not having all the answers
Guided by the singers,
Poets, and the dancers

The part that lay dormant
All these many years
Now suddenly awake
Brought to life with these tears

Like a teddy bear ragged
And missing one eye
Being hugged and dragged
Feeling love,
In great supply

Being perfect, or recovered
Is no longer my goal
I've discovered instead
The art to feeling whole

Walking through a valley
Bluebells as far as the eye can see
I've discovered in myself
What I always knew to be"

This one of my favorite poems on the transcendent.

Forum List

Back