The Middle East Is Exploding. What Are The Causes And What Can We Expect?

How do you figure they want more Western? are the people in Egypt over throwing Mubarak to have Starbucks and Popeyes Chicken? I doubt it.

Actually..they want a greater piece of the pie.

Oh I'm sure they do, however I disagree strongly with Truth Matters statement that the Egyptians want to be more Western, America is not looked upon very highly among regular Egyptians.

That's correct, I doubt Egyptians want to be "more Western," but a bigger point is that it's equally misguided that this necessarily mean they want to be "more Islamic." Surely some protesters want a more "Western" Egypt and some want a more "Islamic" Egypt, what they all agree on is that they want a freer Egypt, where those who want a more "Western" Egypt can vote for a party that represents that feeling and those that want a more "Islamic" Egypt can do the same (whatever shape or form that "Westernization/Islamization" takes in the theoretical post-regime politics).

What they all want is the freedom and dignity of being able to say what they think, no matter how moronic what they think might be - just like every America-bashing hippie liberal vegan or red-blooded Gov't-hating, gun-totting conservative has as a god-given birthright. They want freedom to assemble, to make parties, to form coalitions - to live in a country where the government can't just take you off the street and put you in a torture chamber for as long as it pleases with absolute impunity, or alternatively shut off the internet and choke communication between people. They don't want to live in an eternal state of emergency.

It is unequivocal that the United States should support the protesters - if what the politicians spew held anything other than vain hypocrisy. The limp timidity that the supposedly "bleeding-heart," so-called "liberal" Democratic establishment has responded to developments showcase a kind of sad underlying factor in American foreign policy, which could be characterized as being the total lack of empathy for the suffering of others in any meaningful way. Americans simply don't understand. They don't understand what it is like to live under these regimes. And what's worse - it simply seems not to matter. Obviously that's a broad and perhaps unfair generalization, but from the kind of responses on this board one might believe them true.

Mudwhistle;

The Iraqi people are no better off, but you forget the simple fact that they are no longer a threat to their neighbors anymore.

But that's not what you're concerned about, are you?

I suppose you want them all to have their abortions and their free health care. Who cares that they aren't making bombs and shit anymore

Yup, leave and nuke them from orbit.
.....................................................................................

By Golly, looks like ol' Mud has found a way to gaurantee that they will not be having any abortions.

I wonder how much of this is due to the fact that our government is inflating the price of food in the world.

Forum List

Back