The Michael Savage newstory

That's an insult to all people with autism everywhere Ravi!

No it's not. If I were Savage's spin doctor I'd be telling the media he suffers from Asperger Syndrome.

Unlike those with autism, people with AS are not usually withdrawn around others; they approach others, even if awkwardly, for example by engaging in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic while being oblivious to the listener's feelings or reactions, such as signs of boredom or haste to leave

Anyway, even if he did mean something else how dare he try to claim a condition doesn't exist. What is he, a psychiatrist? Nope, he's a bloke who makes a living by talking to himself for several hours a day. :badgrin:

No it's not. If I were Savage's spin doctor I'd be telling the media he suffers from Asperger Syndrome.

Anyway, even if he did mean something else how dare he try to claim a condition doesn't exist. What is he, a psychiatrist? Nope, he's a bloke who makes a living by talking to himself for several hours a day. :badgrin:

True.

I had a student who had Aspergers. He couldn't look anyone in the eye, and read on a first grade level. But man, did he know anything and everything about cars! He could tell you what ever you wanted to know about any make of car, and worked on the engines of them with his dad. He was 10 years old.

And yes,,,he talked on and on and on about cars...

I think you are right about Savage!

Michael Savage is a total idiot. I place him in the same box as Rush Limbaugh, and James Dobson, and Jerry Fallwell. They are all delusional nutcases! Michael Savage should keep his mouth shut about a subject he knows nothing about! I'm sure if his kid were diagnosed and suffering with Autism, he would be reluctant to say such garbage on the public airwaves. It really shows what a real idiot this guy really is! And a despicable human being!:eusa_whistle:

Michael Savage is a total idiot. I place him in the same box as Rush Limbaugh, and James Dobson, and Jerry Fallwell. They are all delusional nutcases! Michael Savage should keep his mouth shut about a subject he knows nothing about! I'm sure if his kid were diagnosed and suffering with Autism, he would be reluctant to say such garbage on the public airwaves. It really shows what a real idiot this guy really is! And a despicable human being!:eusa_whistle:

I agree, Like I said in another post, I know a little autistic Boy, and not only is he not a little brat, he is about the sweetest little kid ever. As long as it is only 1 on 1 he is great, but get him into a room full of people, or into a room that is just to noisy and he shuts right down. No out bursts or anything, he just hides inside him self. Know what I mean.

I've worked with the autistic population years ago and frankly, I think autism is over diagnosed. I've seen some kids that are so called autistics and they are not showing the classic symptoms I am used to. One kid in particular that I saw would look at and talk to people he didn't know and would allow them to touch him. he was very precocious and quite charming. Sorry but I don't buy that he was autistic. If he is supposedly one out of every 150 people who are diagnosed with autism, I have to wonder how loose the parameters are for said diagnosis.

As for the ADD question, again I have to ask what has changed that ADD is such a problem? Why are ADD and autism predominantly male diagnoses?

IMO boys would be a lot calmer in school if they were required to have morning calisthenics and regular P.E during the day to bleed off some of that pent up energy. Believe or not boys are different from girls and should be taught differently.

This is the same piece of shit who advocated placing conspiracy theorists in front of a firing squad and shooting them for treason, because they sent letters to troops trying to sway their beliefs about 9/11.

I'd say his credibility is in the gutter at this point now anyway, no?

I've worked with the autistic population years ago and frankly, I think autism is over diagnosed. I've seen some kids that are so called autistics and they are not showing the classic symptoms I am used to. One kid in particular that I saw would look at and talk to people he didn't know and would allow them to touch him. he was very precocious and quite charming. Sorry but I don't buy that he was autistic. If he is supposedly one out of every 150 people who are diagnosed with autism, I have to wonder how loose the parameters are for said diagnosis.

As for the ADD question, again I have to ask what has changed that ADD is such a problem? Why are ADD and autism predominantly male diagnoses?

IMO boys would be a lot calmer in school if they were required to have morning calisthenics and regular P.E during the day to bleed off some of that pent up energy. Believe or not boys are different from girls and should be taught differently.

First, yes, boys AND girls both need PE Daily during the school year. What's too bad is gym, music and art are being taken away in a lot of schools to make way for more academics during the school day, when a balance of all is beneficial to kids.

Anyhow, you knew one kid who may or may not have been diagnosed wrong with the label of autism. There is an entire range of autism, from mild to severe. Not all people with autism are "Rainman" or "Forest Gump." Some of my students with autism read on an ninth grade level and they are in third grade, and others are on a first grade academic level. Some are non-verbal, and work on motor and verbal skills with another teacher.

Here are some sites for those who want to be informed about autism:

Autism Fact Sheet: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)

Autism Society of America:

Forum List

Back