The Michael Savage newstory

Is it? I'm sorry. Autistic people often have trouble socializing...I've never listened to the guy, but from what I understand, he's got some socialization issues.

Right, I was making a joke.

I teach students with autism, and yes, they have trouble socializing, and yes, he has MAJOR socialization issues.

Funny, as I type this CNN is showing his sound bite of his idiot comments, and going off on him.

Someone should challenge him to prove it. He is simply a blowhard, we seem to have so many on the airwaves today? Are we becoming a nation of dummies? The Savage Show, Autism made easy for you Dummies, aka America's listening public.

Ok, here's the thing with Savage...I was forced to listen to him a lot this winter, as I was traveling and radio reception was limited. Very limited. Anyway, his take on ADD/ADHD is that 1. It is over-diagnosed...and on that I agree. and 2. It is caused by diet. He has a thing against hot chocolate and some other foods which personally I think is over the top. He's loud, annoying, and definitely a shock jock. I think that 2/3 of the kids diagnosed with ADD/ADHD are just active kids who get on some teacher's nerves, and it ends up snowballing. Half of the problem is the attitude our schools and society have taken regarding behavior, particularly for BOYS. To act like a boy in our schools and our society has become something that is "bad" or "sick" and that's just wrong.

I don't know what he said about autism. Honestly, I don't care. I think he's a loon who occasionally hits on the truth. I think Jenny McCarthy is a loon, too. I don't agree that there are hordes of people out there who believe everything he says. People aren't that stupid, and anyone who listens to him for more than 5 minutes knows he's voicing opinions and commentary. He may make people think about issues they haven't thought about before, and I think "fad" disorders bear some consideration. Autism is a difficult and misunderstood disorder, and certainly needs to be looked into...but the fact is nobody really knows yet what causes it or how to prevent it. He's just as entitled to an opinion as anyone. If you don't like it, don't listen to him, and tell people who believe him that you don't think it's right.

It's just not that big a deal.

Last edited:
Someone should challenge him to prove it. He is simply a blowhard, we seem to have so many on the airwaves today? Are we becoming a nation of dummies? The Savage Show, Autism made easy for you Dummies, aka America's listening public.
Limbaugh showed his ass discussing his ignorance of parkinsons as well... Are these cats really the idiots that they come off as or are they just playing to the intelligence of their audience.

BS. He never said anything about Parkinsons the disease. His comments were about Michael what's his name.

Ok, here's the thing with Savage...I was forced to listen to him a lot this winter, as I was traveling and radio reception was limited. Very limited. Anyway, his take on ADD/ADHD is that 1. It is over-diagnosed...and on that I agree. and 2. It is caused by diet. He has a thing against hot chocolate and some other foods which personally I think is over the top. He's loud, annoying, and definitely a shock jock. I think that 2/3 of the kids diagnosed with ADD/ADHD are just active kids who get on some teacher's nerves, and it ends up snowballing. Half of the problem is the attitude our schools and society have taken regarding behavior, particularly for BOYS. To act like a boy in our schools and our society has become something that is "bad" or "sick" and that's just wrong.

I don't know what he said about autism. Honestly, I don't care. I think he's a loon who occasionally hits on the truth. I think Jenny McCarthy is a loon, too. I don't agree that there are hordes of people out there who believe everything he says. People aren't that stupid, and anyone who listens to him for more than 5 minutes knows he's voicing opinions and commentary. He may make people think about issues they haven't thought about before, and I think "fad" disorders bear some consideration. Autism is a difficult and misunderstood disorder, and certainly needs to be looked into...but the fact is nobody really knows yet what causes it or how to prevent it. He's just as entitled to an opinion as anyone. If you don't like it, don't listen to him, and tell people who believe him that you don't think it's right.

Teachers hate boys until they need a boy to pull off the girl that is beating the Teacher's ass. :lol:

BS. He never said anything about Parkinsons the disease. His comments were about Michael what's his name.

I thought that things people say are no big deal... stop getting your panties in a wad and ignore my posts there Mr Appathy...

Its just not that big a deal...

There's a difference between voicing your opinion about something, and posting a bald-faced lie on a message board.

On the message board, I get to point out the lie. If it's a radio shock jock, it's just business as usual.

I think that 2/3 of the kids diagnosed with ADD/ADHD are just active kids who get on some teacher's nerves, and it ends up snowballing. Half of the problem is the attitude our schools and society have taken regarding behavior, particularly for BOYS. To act like a boy in our schools and our society has become something that is "bad" or "sick" and that's just wrong.

i agree with you on that...

I don't know what he said about autism. Honestly, I don't care.... He's just as entitled to an opinion as anyone.

it is not just a matter of opinion that autism and ADD are two entirely different medical conditions...he's a dope for not acknowledging that he made a mistake and apologizing.

this is what he said about autism:
(from the article whose link i posted earlier)

"On his radio show last week, he said: "What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, `Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, you idiot."

"... who described 99 percent of children with autism as brats, said Monday he was trying to "boldly awaken" parents to his view that many people are being wrongly diagnosed."

"Some parents of autistic children have called for Savage's firing after he described autism as a racket last week. "In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out," Savage said on his radio program last Wednesday."

"Savage offered no apology in a message posted Monday on his Web site. He said greedy doctors and drug companies were creating a "national panic" by overdiagnosing autism, a mental disorder that inhibits a person's ability to communicate."

Yeah, he's a jerk, no doubt about it.
One of the reasons I have taken up to listening to books on cds instead of subjecting myself to talk radio with jocks I loathe and despise. Savage is one, and honestly, I can only handle so much O'Reilly, though at least he has interesting guests once in a while.

I don't see any threads about his rant against autism. Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about (wouldn't want to bias your newscoverage).

My theory is that he's a donkey and the entire time he was ranting against autism, he thought he was talking about ADD/ADHD, but by the time he'd figured it out, he had dug himself way too big a hole.

Why are you insulting donkeys?

As for the ADD/ADHD thing, many boys and some girls are diagnosed this way because of straight up laziness on the part of teachers and caregivers. What many do not realize is that Depression, either situational or imbalance brought on by chemical exposure, or other things, or because of some hereditary thing, or something during gestation, often mimics ADHD, especially in boys. When young boys are depressed, for whatever reason, it frightens them. Sometimesthe reactions can be really severe.

What do boys do when scared? They run, jump, yell, fight, and generally act out. Situational issues can be dealt with by changing things, and other issues, when there is an actual chemical imbalance, can be treated with mood stabilizers. The current wisdom on this is that low dose maintenance can help a child re-train a brain to be "happier" ---that is not depressed. It works for many. What matters here is access to good care, and well trained medical personnel. If someone has a habit of being happy, over time it becomes hard wired in the brain.

As for Savage..... His real name is Michael Weiner. He certainly is one!

Why are you insulting donkeys?

As for the ADD/ADHD thing, many boys and some girls are diagnosed this way because of straight up laziness on the part of teachers and caregivers. What many do not realize is that Depression, either situational or imbalance brought on by chemical exposure, or other things, or because of some hereditary thing, or something during gestation, often mimics ADHD, especially in boys. When young boys are depressed, for whatever reason, it frightens them. Sometimesthe reactions can be really severe.

What do boys do when scared? They run, jump, yell, fight, and generally act out. Situational issues can be dealt with by changing things, and other issues, when there is an actual chemical imbalance, can be treated with mood stabilizers. The current wisdom on this is that low dose maintenance can help a child re-train a brain to be "happier" ---that is not depressed. It works for many. What matters here is access to good care, and well trained medical personnel. If someone has a habit of being happy, over time it becomes hard wired in the brain.

As for Savage..... His real name is Michael Weiner. He certainly is one!

Diagnosis also has to do with billing... some insurance companies require a diagnosis for post assesment treatment.. this happens in both autism and ADD and ADHD cases... I think this is more likely than just laziness...

except for that fact that some people are dumb enough to believe everything he says. in which case he is spreading lies and deceit. could also say that what he said was slander towards the parents of autistic children.

So, who else do we censor for the sake of stupid people?

What do you mean, do you think he's trying to get people to think autism doesn't 'exsit?'

That is exactly the charge being put down in this thread in regards to the influence of his opinon on autism. Do we listen to Tom Cruise too? Not trying to be glib but...

That is exactly the charge being put down in this thread in regards to the influence of his opinon on autism. Do we listen to Tom Cruise too? Not trying to be glib but...

Gotcha.

He's a low life loser who happens to have a radio show, so we should pay no attention to him.

I'm down with that! I didn't even know who he was until I read this thread, (thank goodness) and don't care to know anymore about him!

Oh your really must. His voice isn't as annoying as O'Reilly's, but he shrieks and yells and really goes off the deep end on a regular basis. Then he'll get all sincere and subdued and talk about his education (doesn't he claim to have completed medical school, or have a degree in micro biology, or something like that?).

It's worth listening to at least once. Any more than that, it becomes torture. And it goes on for hours, and hours, and hours.......

Oh your really must. His voice isn't as annoying as O'Reilly's, but he shrieks and yells and really goes off the deep end on a regular basis. Then he'll get all sincere and subdued and talk about his education (doesn't he claim to have completed medical school, or have a degree in micro biology, or something like that?).

It's worth listening to at least once. Any more than that, it becomes torture. And it goes on for hours, and hours, and hours.......

Only if you supply the Jager bombs and the vodka, then I'll give it 15 minutes.

Gotcha.

He's a low life loser who happens to have a radio show, so we should pay no attention to him.

I'm down with that! I didn't even know who he was until I read this thread, (thank goodness) and don't care to know anymore about him!

I dunno.. I agree that he is a complete jackass but, for me, it's entertaining. He comes on right before Niel Boortz 'round these here parts. And this isn't the first time he's reached for the martyr role. Cair comes to mind.

Besides.. how many people on this board think IM a jackass too!

hehehehe..

Like I said.. the beauty of the freedom of speech.. No one forces anyone to agree.

I dunno.. I agree that he is a complete jackass but, for me, it's entertaining. He comes on right before Niel Boortz 'round these here parts. And this isn't the first time he's reached for the martyr role. Cair comes to mind.

Besides.. how many people on this board think IM a jackass too!

hehehehe..

Like I said.. the beauty of the freedom of speech.. No one forces anyone to agree.

Then you can drink with us! :D

Forum List

Back