The methods of conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by gop_jeff
So as a government employee - in fact, as a man who has been working for the federal government since age 17 - which side does that put me on?!?

Great generalization. :rolleyes:

No gop_jeff don't take it that way. There are a minority of good conservative people in government. They have the maturity to realize that even though they personally draw salary through government that the private sector is still the engine of economic innovation. You Rock Gop_jeff!

Originally posted by remie
While I am conservative, and dont often agree with some of your posts, I do respect liberals who are thoughtful and I feel that you fit that description. As long as KL is the same smart liberal I can live with that. It also drives me a little nuts to hear either side lump everyone of either political leaning into the same pile. As you said, ok to throw a little mud as long as you do it with a smile on your face. :D

I appreciate it when someone disagrees with me without simply saying: "libs...blah, blah, blah".

I mean after all, I don't start any of my posts with "As a liberal..." because I think of myself as an American first.

And you'll notice, I never start my criticisms by saying: "Conservatives..."

Below my name you see my hometown and then in this space you see my opinion plus any facts I can find to support it:rolleyes:

No spin, baby.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
No gop_jeff don't take it that way. There are a minority of good conservative people in government. They have the maturity to realize that even though they personally draw salary through government that the private sector is still the engine of economic innovation. You Rock Gop_jeff!

suck up

I'm the last guy you should be sucking up to... I'm not even a mod! :D

Yep, only bother to suck up to people with power or in a position to give you something. That's one of the things my dad taught me...:D

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So as a government employee - in fact, as a man who has been working for the federal government since age 17 - which side does that put me on?!?

Great generalization.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RWA:

-He called you a minority!!!

:p: :laugh:

yeah, it seems a little strange, RWA, that you would say that sweeping generalizations can be made and then turn right around and say that there are exceptions. It seems like you've effectively turned your "generalizations" into discriminations.

Originally posted by finn
yeah, it seems a little strange, RWA, that you would say that sweeping generalizations can be made and then turn right around and say that there are exceptions. It seems like you've effectively turned your "generalizations" into discriminations.
Generalizations can be made about many things. Often there are exceptions. That doesn't mean generalizations are useless.

And discrimination and generalization are two very different words that mean different things.

You know what, finn? you're a little strange.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
Generalizations can be made about many things. Often there are exceptions. That doesn't mean generalizations are useless.

And discrimination and generalization are two very different words that mean different things.

You know what, finn? you're a little strange.

I can't argue with that. I'm here to learn something though and that means putting myself out there a little.

What are some good examples useful generalizations? Am I wrong in saying that to generalize is to assume something about a certain group? By doing that, you proscribe characteristics to any member of that group. If your generalizations are negative, then any member of that group is automatically flawed. Sounds like discrimination to me.

For anyone to sort themselves a liberal or conservative based on the flaming attitudes of folks who post to Internet message boards is illogical, in my opinion.

I am an independent. I make decisions based on issues, not on the personalities of the folks who post to this board or to any board like it.

We have no way of knowing the age, educational background, religious preferences, moral integrity, etc. of anyone who posts on this board, unless of course we know them personally. Hell, my wife doesn't even affect my political views, much less the people on this board.

Can I be persuaded by intelligent, open-ended discussions that I might read here? Yes, quite possibly.

Can I be brought to challenge my beliefs based on facts brought forth here (or from any source, for that matter)? Yes, most definitely.

Will I change my beliefs based on idiotic posts made by individuals who use name-calling and insults rather than facts and logic (most likely because they are too ignorant to discuss issues intelligently)? Absolutely NOT.

Originally posted by finn
I can't argue with that. I'm here to learn something though and that means putting myself out there a little.

What are some good examples useful generalizations? Am I wrong in saying that to generalize is to assume something about a certain group? By doing that, you proscribe characteristics to any member of that group. If your generalizations are negative, then any member of that group is automatically flawed. Sounds like discrimination to me.

Some useful generalizations? Are you kidding? It's sad you can't think of any.
How 'bout "Don't eat yellow snow." Of course it could be lemon gelato so take a big bite. Don't be suprised if someone offers you a tic tac, pissbreath.

My generalizations are accurate, the negativity is in the eye of the beholder.

Liberal policies don't respect individual rights, regardless of their empty claims, by and large. To me, yes, it's negative. Some, however, think individual rights concerns are akin to hate speech, so to them, it's positive.

We Report. You Decide.

Originally posted by TN_Independent
For anyone to sort themselves a liberal or conservative based on the flaming attitudes of folks who post to Internet message boards is illogical, in my opinion.

I am an independent. I make decisions based on issues, not on the personalities of the folks who post to this board or to any board like it.

We have no way of knowing the age, educational background, religious preferences, moral integrity, etc. of anyone who posts on this board, unless of course we know them personally. Hell, my wife doesn't even affect my political views, much less the people on this board.

Can I be persuaded by intelligent, open-ended discussions that I might read here? Yes, quite possibly.

Can I be brought to challenge my beliefs based on facts brought forth here (or from any source, for that matter)? Yes, most definitely.

Will I change my beliefs based on idiotic posts made by individuals who use name-calling and insults rather than facts and logic (most likely because they are too ignorant to discuss issues intelligently)? Absolutely NOT.

You sound like a liberal to me so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back