The Menace of Multiculturalism

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Suzanne Fields

September 15, 2005

It's not easy to dislodge a trendy fad, particularly among the public intellectuals and the aspiring sophisticates of the chattering class, but "multiculturalism" may be getting an intellectual re-examination. The strivers so easily captured by the hula hoops of academic imagination have a long way to go, but the signs are there (and not a moment too soon).

"Multiculturalism" is the notion that all cultures are inherently equal; the notion should not only be tolerated, but encouraged. The Judeo-Christian values that undergirded the founding of our country and inspired the moral rules that bound us together in a common culture, honored even when honored in the breach, are to be held in doubt and suspicion. When these values were deconstructed, so that they no longer held us together, the literary, philosophical and historical canons of Western civilization changed.

Young people, naturally given to critiquing anything and everything their parents believe, became easily indoctrinated with the fashionable notions of multiculturalism. Disarmed, they could not defend the culture that produced their freedoms and the good life in which to enjoy those freedoms. They were soon not even capable of perceiving the consequences that flow from an inability to make distinctions. Instead of appreciating the self-correcting freedoms growing out of the common culture -- leading to the end of slavery, the relief of oppressed women, and the civil-rights revolution that propelled blacks into the mainstream -- the young were encouraged to focus on the negatives of Western history. The manifest shortcomings of other cultures were cheerfully ignored.

The great contemporary fault line of multiculturalism is the tolerance of Islamist barbarity that passes for understanding. This has led to the conspicuous inability to recognize the dark side of Islam that politicizes authentic religious faith and produces the terrorism that stalks the civilized world. Though only a small number of Muslims actually perceive murder as a religious duty, millions of Muslims support those who do, and many millions more conspicuously refrain from criticizing the evil-doers, either from fear or from a desire to see their faith became dominant across the world.

As a result, "multiculturalism" has become ideology that menaces a culture unable to defend itself. This multiculturalism undercuts assimilation and fosters an anti-American bias in favor of cultures determined to destroy our own. The British example says it all. Multiculturalism in England was shaped not only by academicians, but by civil servants, think tanks, minority pressure groups, center-left politicians, and what John O'Sullivan calls with irony "the Great and the Good." In The New Criterion magazine, he argues that certain government institutions, together with the popular media, created an ideology of "institutional correctness" of condescending anthropology. The British government, unrestrained by constitutional guarantees of separation of church and state, subsidized ethnic, religious, and linguistic ghettoes by supporting "faith schools," where minority children were encouraged to maintain the cultures their parents fled. In the interest of tolerance, men and women who knew better rationalized the suppression of women, genital mutilation and even "honor killings" by Muslims. Better to let the natives keep their quaint customs rather than impose common values that smack of "Britishness."

The bombings in London, however, changed the debate. When the British learned that their suicide bombers were home-grown, recruited from minorities who were not marginalized -- the bombers had grown up playing cricket -- multiculturalism as a guiding ideology was suddenly suspect. The Dutch before them had begun to rethink multiculturalism as well, when a radical Muslim murdered the filmmaker Theo Van Gogh in Amsterdam for his criticism of Islamic suppression of women. The killer left an Islamist manifesto spiked to his breast.

Though not as daffy over multiculturalism as the Netherlands or Britain, America has been moving that way. The melting pot of assimilation, which has nurtured the American dream for more than two centuries, has become ever more suspect. A poll for the Pew Hispanic Center finds that 55 percent of Americans of Mexican descent consider themselves Mexicans first. A similar study of Muslim immigrants in Los Angeles finds that only 10 percent think of themselves as Americans rather than citizens of the countries they abandoned for new lives here.

Multiculturalism has become both masochistic and condescending. Born of good and generous intentions, it inevitably led to cultural amnesia, sapping the strength of the common bond. "An unintended and beneficial consequence of the London bombings," writes John O'Sullivan, "is the transformation of the debate in Britain over multiculturalism." The clock is ticking here, too.
©2005 Tribune Media Services

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/suzannefields/sf20050915.shtml

To quote this article:"'Multiculturalism" is the notion that all cultures are inherently equal; the notion should not only be tolerated, but encouraged."

Why is it defined that way by so many people?

Oxford English Dictionary:multicultural • adjective relating to or constituting several cultural or ethnic groups.

Says nothing about "inherently equal".

Obviously not all cultures or ethnic groups are or can be equal. But they can certainly exist side by side. There is no such thing as 100% assimilation or 100% separatism.

Words take on meanings in the real world. Example: All neoconservative really means is a liberal who now is a conservative. In the real world today, it means a sneeky, shadowy Jew who is attempting to undermine American Democracy.

theim said:
Words take on meanings in the real world. Example: All neoconservative really means is a liberal who now is a conservative. In the real world today, it means a sneeky, shadowy Jew who is attempting to undermine American Democracy.

You liberals all think alike!

theim said:

That's entirely correct, sir.

William Joyce said:
That's entirely correct, sir.

I'm not going there. Not going to debunk as those of this mindset are non-convertible. On the other hand, those that get the crawlies reading their diatribes, run.

Kathianne said:
I'm not going there. Not going to debunk as those of this mindset are non-convertible. On the other hand, those that get the crawlies reading their diatribes, run.

I was being sarcastic. I seem to have a problem with this not coming through in writing. Please do not associate me with WJ.

theim said:
I was being sarcastic. I seem to have a problem with this not coming through in writing. Please do not associate me with WJ.

No fear. I have a pretty good grasp on those that agree with WJ. None are as intelligent as him, but that doesn't matter. Hitler counted on such.

theim said:
I have no time to help with your identity crisis right now, Mr. I-Didn't-Leave-My-Party-My-Party-Left-Me. Perhaps later.

Typical liberal evasiveness. Why can't you liberals take responsibility for yourselves? You think the government can solve every problem.

nucular said:
To quote this article:"'Multiculturalism" is the notion that all cultures are inherently equal; the notion should not only be tolerated, but encouraged."

Why is it defined that way by so many people?

Oxford English Dictionary:multicultural • adjective relating to or constituting several cultural or ethnic groups.

Says nothing about "inherently equal".

Obviously not all cultures or ethnic groups are or can be equal. But they can certainly exist side by side. There is no such thing as 100% assimilation or 100% separatism.

Sure they CAN live side by side but history shows that they prefer not too. They would rather live within thier own culture or race or simply destroy the other. Even "multiculture" and "multiracial" societies have one that is dominant. Man simply cannot resist trying to be dominant. Ugly but true.

dilloduck said:
Sure they CAN live side by side but history shows that they prefer not too. They would rather live within thier own culture or race or simply destroy the other. Even "multiculture" and "multiracial" societies have one that is dominant. Man simply cannot resist trying to be dominant. Ugly but true.

There are very few impregnable cultural, religious, artistic, culinary, musical or any other kind of boundaries in this world. And it's even less common that they are enclosed within a specific political border or geographic region. There is always an overlap, and that's multicultural.

I really wouldn't want to live somewhere with no ethnic and religious diversity. But that's just me.

The author is absolutely correct.

I once was brainwashed by this demented view of history, culture and nation.

That's why people my age overwhelmingly find fault with America and seem to suspect dark, ulterior motives with every policy decision, emergency response and terrible tragedy.

We are taught now that cultures are equal, they are not. Are we to believe that Wahabbi Islam can produce a culture and values equal in deed and legacy to American culture and values?

We are taught now that nations are equal, they are not. Are we to actually think Kenya, Indonesia or for that matter, Germany, are or could in the near future become an equal to America in terms of power, output, importance and influence?

We are taught now to be ashamed of our history; of our slave-owning founding fathers, our philandering, gambling and alcoholic leaders, our "bloody" legacy of slavery, oppression, genocide and racism.

Really?

I consider Jefferson, Washington and the rest to be all deeply-flawed men who transcended common moral shortcomings and poor decisions to revive the single, greatest idea mankind has ever produced; democracy, and place it within an ingenious framework that allowed it to prosper until the slow, torturous demise of the past ten years that hopefully will one day be reversed.

I consider slavery and the destruction of the Native Americans to be our nation's rightful shame, but refuse to believe that they in some way disqualify this nation from being the greatest, most free nation on earth. We nearly destroyed our union to wipe out slavery, then nearly were annihiated because we, and we alone, shouldered the immense burden to protect the world from the specter of communism.

Our legacy is a vibrant democracy at home that is composed of nearly 300 million people who can claim ancestry from thousands of ethnic groups across the world, who now proudly call themselves Americans. Our legacy abroad is the liberation of nearly a billion people in the past 60 years, an international system that is the most fair, most advanced we have yet seen in human history and the lasting gratitude and appreciation of nearly every country on this earth, as recently seen with the offers of assistance from countries as poor as East Timor and Sri Lanka to countries as powerful and rich as Japan and Germany (our former arch enemies to the death in WW2).

Their offers of assistance illuminate something the high-priests of multi-culturalism refuse to admit; that America is and always has been a force for good in this world, that it is truly the world's last, great hope for mankind, that America can and does have an enormously positive affect on the rest of the world, especially the less fortunate and the oppressed.

Nato...consider slavery and the destruction of the Native Americans to be our nation's rightful shame, but refuse to believe that they in some way disqualify this nation from being the greatest, most free nation on earth. We nearly destroyed our union to wipe out slavery, then nearly were annihiated because we, and we alone, shouldered the immense burden to protect the world from the specter of communism.

Nato Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :mm:

Forum List

Back