The Medicated Child

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
The Medicated Child

Please watch this PBS report when you have an hour to spare, FRONTLINE: the medicated child | PBS

I’m not a doctor, and neither of my kids was ever suspected of or diagnosed with any type of mental condition. What I do have is some other types of personal involvement, and just some common sense.

My ex-wife was diagnosed as being bi-polar a few years ago. She is currently on medication that allows her to function as a normal adult. I personally just thought that she was an alcoholic prior to the diagnosis, and so did her family, and even herself.
(Just a quick and funny side note to this is that when my oldest daughter was 16 she once told me “Mom is fucking crazy”. That was the first time I ever heard one of my children use the F word.)
My ex-wife was 40 years old before she was eventually diagnosed as being bi-polar. She had been in rehab clinics numerous times and had seen many psychiatrists and psychologists over the years before this diagnosis came about.
So, my question is, how the hell do you diagnose a child as being bi-polar?

I once dated a woman that had both her sons under treatment for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). The boys were 8 and 11, and she had a 6 year old daughter. The daughter was not under medical treatment. My daughters were 9 and 11 at the time. Me having children at that age, I also knew quite few other parents with children in the same age group. Personally, I never thought her boys were much different in behavior than the other boys I knew that were that age. Except when she had them drugged up. Shortly after she gave them their meds, they were like little zombies. In the mornings, prior to them taking their drugs, they were loud, somewhat rambunctious, full of mischief and just plain fun to talk to. Once those meds kicked in, they were completely different children.

Once, when she had to go out of town for a weekend working seminar, I took care of her kids for the weekend. Me, not being in the routine of medicating kids, I forgot to give them their meds Saturday morning. And, I forgot Saturday evening as well. I’m telling you, these boys were not out of control, and didn’t require any special treatment without their drugs. Sunday morning I remembered I was supposed to give them medication. The 11 year old took his medication. I think more out of habit and expectation than for any other reason. But, the 9 year old challenged me. He didn’t want to take the meds. And you know what, he wasn’t just being obstinate. I paraphrase here, but this is what he told me,
I didn’t take my medicine yesterday and nothing bad happened. You didn’t have to spank me for being bad, I didn’t get in fights with my brother or sister. I played nice with the kids across the street. I didn’t yell or scream or throw any temper tantrums. Yesterday was the best day ever, and I want to have another day just like it. I don’t think I can if you make me take those pills.

Damn, I almost cried. And, I didn’t make him take the pills. And he was just fine for the rest of the day.

His mother was pissed at me when she got home Sunday evening and I told her about it. She insisted that he needed the meds to control his behavior. I flat out told her that I couldn’t date somebody that wanted to drug her children into being little zombies just so she didn’t have to be an active, involved and engaged parent. That was the end of our relationship.

So, back to the above linked broadcast. While I certainly believe that some children do have emotional and mental issues that need to be treated, I am also firmly of the opinion that in today’s current environment, childhood emotional and mental issues are being extremely overly diagnosed and treated. What the hell has changed since I was 10 years old? 35 years ago there were almost no kids being drugged for ADHD, or, as they simply called it back then, hyperactivity.

I’ll probably get some shit for this, but dammit, we as a society need to quit drugging our children and start being parents. You can’t throw your kids into the easy-bake oven of life and expect them to turn out like some sort of celluloid hero.

The Medicated Child

Please watch this PBS report when you have an hour to spare, FRONTLINE: the medicated child | PBS

I’m not a doctor, and neither of my kids was ever suspected of or diagnosed with any type of mental condition. What I do have is some other types of personal involvement, and just some common sense.

My ex-wife was diagnosed as being bi-polar a few years ago. She is currently on medication that allows her to function as a normal adult. I personally just thought that she was an alcoholic prior to the diagnosis, and so did her family, and even herself.
(Just a quick and funny side note to this is that when my oldest daughter was 16 she once told me “Mom is fucking crazy”. That was the first time I ever heard one of my children use the F word.)
My ex-wife was 40 years old before she was eventually diagnosed as being bi-polar. She had been in rehab clinics numerous times and had seen many psychiatrists and psychologists over the years before this diagnosis came about.

I once dated a woman that had both her sons under treatment for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). The boys were 8 and 11, and she had a 6 year old daughter. The daughter was not under medical treatment. My daughters were 9 and 11 at the time. Me having children at that age, I also knew quite few other parents with children in the same age group. Personally, I never thought her boys were much different in behavior than the other boys I knew that were that age. Except when she had them drugged up. Shortly after she gave them their meds, they were like little zombies. In the mornings, prior to them taking their drugs, they were loud, somewhat rambunctious, full of mischief and just plain fun to talk to. Once those meds kicked in, they were completely different children.

Once, when she had to go out of town for a weekend working seminar, I took care of her kids for the weekend. Me, not being in the routine of medicating kids, I forgot to give them their meds Saturday morning. And, I forgot Saturday evening as well. I’m telling you, these boys were not out of control, and didn’t require any special treatment without their drugs. Sunday morning I remembered I was supposed to give them medication. The 11 year old took his medication. I think more out of habit and expectation than for any other reason. But, the 9 year old challenged me. He didn’t want to take the meds. And you know what, he wasn’t just being obstinate. I paraphrase here, but this is what he told me,
I didn’t take my medicine yesterday and nothing bad happened. You didn’t have to spank me for being bad, I didn’t get in fights with my brother or sister. I played nice with the kids across the street. I didn’t yell or scream or throw any temper tantrums. Yesterday was the best day ever, and I want to have another day just like it. I don’t think I can if you make me take those pills.

Damn, I almost cried. And, I didn’t make him take the pills. And he was just fine for the rest of the day.

His mother was pissed at me when she got home Sunday evening and I told her about it. She insisted that he needed the meds to control his behavior. I flat out told her that I couldn’t date somebody that wanted to drug her children into being little zombies just so she didn’t have to be an active, involved and engaged parent. That was the end of our relationship.

So, back to the above linked broadcast. While I certainly believe that some children do have emotional and mental issues that need to be treated, I am also firmly of the opinion that in today’s current environment, childhood emotional and mental issues are being extremely overly diagnosed and treated. What the hell has changed since I was 10 years old? 35 years ago there were almost no kids being drugged for ADHD, or, as they simply called it back then, hyperactivity.

I’ll probably get some shit for this, but dammit, we as a society need to quit drugging our children and start being parents. You can’t throw your kids into the easy-bake oven of life and expect them to turn out like some sort of celluloid hero.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIydrSMyNq0]YouTube - Truth About Mental Illness and Disease[/ame]

Last edited:
A couple of points:

It is a very difficult diagnosis to come to. Psychiatric illness in children often present very differently then in adults. Also, childrens brains react differently to the meds that are used in adults.

When it comes to diagnosing and treating ADHD in children, there are specific diagnostic guidelines that are followed. I rarely treat kids with this disorder as I leave it up to the child psychiatrists, but a good tool to use in determining the diagnosis and monitoring the treatment is called the Vanderbilt Scale. Basically, the parents and the teachers fill out a survey as to how the child does in many different aspects of functioning. Then, after starting treatment, the same survey is done to see if there is any measurable improvement.

The goal is not to drug the kids so that they are zombie...the goal is to help calm the kids enough that they can focus on school, learn something, and do better in school. Generally the kids that need treatment are so off the wall, that they have no hope of learning anything. I would feel it inappropriate if the child is medicated with very mild disease or in situations where the parents are just so lax that they let the kid do anything. And I also am a proponent of the lowest effective dose, to prevent adverse effects.

Many people have been saying this for years.

I wonder if there have been studies of the correlation of the high diagnosis of ADHD/ADD, even bi polar disorder, and the advent of electronic devices, such as video games, computer games, et el.....

I am a firm believer in behavior modification for children, instead of drugging them in most cases.

I wonder if their have been studies of the correlation of the high diagnosis of ADHD/ADD, even bi polar disorder, and the advent of electronic devices, such as video games, computer games, et el.....

I am a firm believer in behavior modification for children, instead of drugging them in most cases.

I agree. I'm sure there is a high correlation with at least ADHD and TVs, computers, etc, as well as lack of reading.

I wonder if their have been studies of the correlation of the high diagnosis of ADHD/ADD, even bi polar disorder, and the advent of electronic devices, such as video games, computer games, et el.....

I agree. I'm sure there is a high correlation with at least ADHD and TVs, computers, etc, as well as lack of reading.

Don't even get me started on the lack of reading, that's an entire other thread!

so shit for brains tell me what type of chemical test diagnoses bi-polar or ADHD

Who said anything about chemical test?

if there is no test how can it be a medical illness..can you prove there is such a thing as a chemical imbalance or is it only theory

If we spent as much money on the brain as we do on flying around in space we might know by now.

so shit for brains tell me what type of chemical test diagnoses bi-polar or ADHD

Who said anything about chemical test?

if there is no test how can it be a medical illness..can you prove there is such a thing as a chemical imbalance or is it only theory

Why don't you take a hammer and hit your thumb? Do it...right now!

How can we tell if you are having pain? There are no blood tests for it.

Yet, we treat your pain with a narcotic...a chemical...that goes into your brain and binds to receptors to stop the pain.

Almost every thing is a biochemical imbalance to one degree or another.

Forum List

Back