The media's tax fraud

Oct 18, 2008
Bowling Green Ohio
The media's tax fraud

When is a tax cut for 98 percent of taxpayers portrayed as a tax increase? When some of the small handful of people whose taxes will go up happen to control the nation's news media.

Last week, President Obama unveiled a budget outline that extends the Bush tax cuts for all but the top two percent of taxpayers and makes permanent a tax credit of up to $800 for low- and middle-income workers that was included in the recent stimulus package, among other tax cuts.

On the other hand, individual taxpayers with taxable income above $200,000 ($250,000 for families) per year would pay more in taxes under Obama's plan, under which the tax rates paid on income in the top brackets would revert to their levels under President Clinton in the 1990s -- from 33 and 35 percent to 36 and 39.6 percent. Slate.com's Daniel Gross estimates that for someone with $350,000 in income, this will amount to about $1,500 a year in increased taxes.

So: Obama's plan cuts taxes for the vast majority of Americans, while raising them for the small number of people who make more than $200,000.

But the media, eager to hype their bogus "war on the wealthy" storyline, have portrayed it as a tax increase.

http://mediamatters.org/items/printable/200903060017

I understand from watching or reading several news sources and trying to read the actual bill that the "tax cut" for most people isn't a cut at all, it's a "credit". Both reagan and clinton gave us tax credits too, and on an income of 30-40 k a year i paid more taxes both times. My concern with this tax credit is that the tax hasn't been reduced(yet, we are told that is coming) the withholding tables are reduced. This could mean that people won't have enough taxes withheld and might owe at the end of the year. Our leaders can still change it, and I hope they do.
Some media sources are reporting that the tax cut(if and when it is actually a cut and not a credit) could be offset by higher taxes on fuels and the "carbon credits". While this might be the case, we won't actually know for sure until the legislation is passed what it actually says. This appears to make the statements by the media on this point pure conjecture on their part.
My personal belief is that this is a result of the partisan politics that grips this country right now. The media has decided that they must apeal to one of two sides, and that's exactly what one observes in the media. All our sources appear to appeal to either republicans or democrats, and simply ignores the rest of us. In my opinion, all of our news sources are biased liberal or conservative, and none are biased to help the people. They are biased towards the perceived audience they have. They report to their ratings(read money) and not to us. I believe that unless we all come together, and even celebrate our disagreements, the arguments will become even more partisan, and divide us even further. We can become so divided that we could lose our way of life and even our nation.
note:
please excuse my poor spelling and typos, and try not to prove my point about the divisions by launching personal attacks in this thread, as the forum rules state, it makes one look like a fool.

New Topics

Forum List

Back