The Media's Liberal Bias

Mr.Conley

Jan 20, 2006
New Orleans, LA/Cambridge, MA
I figured that since everyone here knows the MSM is biased, we could start a thread where people can post articles, posts, video, and other examples of the media's bias. If you find anything, just post it here and write down a short summary of how the article is biased.

If It's Sunday, It's Conservative: An analysis of the Sunday talk show guests on ABC, CBS, and NBC, 1997 - 2005
Executive Summary

The Sunday-morning talk shows on ABC, CBS, and NBC are where the prevailing opinions are aired and tested, policymakers state their cases, and the left and right in American politics debate the pressing issues of the day on equal ground. Both sides have their say and face probing questions. Or so you would think.

In fact, as this study reveals, conservative voices significantly outnumber progressive voices on the Sunday talk shows. Media Matters for America conducted a content analysis of ABC's This Week, CBS' Face the Nation, and NBC's Meet the Press, classifying each one of the nearly 7,000 guest appearances during President Bill Clinton's second term, President George W. Bush's first term, and the year 2005 as either Democrat, Republican, conservative, progressive, or neutral. The conclusion is clear: Republicans and conservatives have been offered more opportunities to appear on the Sunday shows - in some cases, dramatically so.

[MORE]

http://mediamatters.org/items/200602140002

Mr.Conley said:
I figured that since everyone here knows the MSM is biased, we could start a thread where people can post articles, posts, video, and other examples of the media's bias. If you find anything, just post it here and write down a short summary of how the article is biased.

Great idea, only this would be approximately all freaking media coverage.

Take today's Washington Post, for instance. There's a front-page story about the "plight" of an illegal from Guatemala who spent extra time in jail because he didn't speak English. Boo-hoo. Maybe he shouldn't be here in the first place. That point of view did not make it into the story.

Mr.Conley said:

So, Jillian makes a post showing an article that is supposed to do an "unbiased" analysis. Yet a few sentences into it, ITS OWN BIAS is showing, calling liberals, "progressives",,ha, what a joke.

Liberal has taken on new meaning because todays liberals have different values than liberals of the past. Liberals of today dont like the conotations associated with the term liberal, yet it is something they created, in other words, they dont like an accurate public perception of them, and hence, they do the usual dance and use different words

Just do an analysis of the terms pro life, pro choice, anti abortion anti choicew pro abortion, you will find an overwhelming number of terms that favor abortion rights and they use terms that have a negative conotation for pro lifers, like Barbara bonehead Boxer, in her speeches always uses the term "anti choice" for pro lifers.

Mr.Conley said:

ABC’S SELECTIVE
REPORTING OF LATEST
“BAD NEWS FOR BUSH” POLL

Just a week after ABC, NBC, MSNBC and CNN put aside their competitive instincts and heavily touted a CBS News poll showing the President with an “all-time low” approval rating (after the pollsters contacted many Democrats and relatively few Republicans), ABC is showing a different kind of polling bias: Trumpeting just the findings that assist the administration’s liberal critics.

Monday’s World News Tonight and Tuesday’s Good Morning America both headlined with how 80 percent pessimistically believe “civil war” is likely in Iraq. But isn’t an opinion ABC has been pushing on viewers? On February 24, Good Morning America’s Charles Gibson fretted about “grave concerns about civil war,” and World News Tonight co-anchor Elizabeth Vargas insisting on March 1 that Iraq was “dangerously close to civil war.”

As for President Bush’s approval rating, ABC found it essentially unchanged since its last poll in January (41% approval now, 42% approval back then). So on last night’s World News Tonight, Vargas and George Stephanopoulos just ignored that number, seven points higher than the 34% “all-time low” in the CBS poll that every network embraced last week.

On this morning’s Good Morning America, however, co-host Robin Roberts claimed that ABC’s new poll had found “President Bush’s job approval rating has sunk to a new career low.” But isn’t he much more popular than ABC said he was last week?

Some of what ABC News didn’t tell TV viewers: Their poll found a majority (54%) said it was okay that the National Security Agency is “secretly listening in on telephone calls and reading e-mails between some people in the United States and other countries, without first getting court approval to do so.” Didn’t ABC tout that as a major scandal?

And, according to ABC’s poll, half of the public (50%) agrees that “the war with Iraq has contributed to the long-term security of the United States,” vs. 48% who say it has not. And, 62% said they favored how after 9/11 “FBI was given additional authority in areas like surveillance, wiretaps and obtaining records in terrorism investigations.”

But you didn’t hear that news if you watched ABC last night or this morning.

http://www.mediaresearch.org/realitycheck/2006/fax20060307.asp

Another

Unemployment Down & Jobs Up: CBS Skips
and NBC Looks at Downside

The Bush administration and all Americans got great news on the economic front Friday when the Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics reported 211,000 jobs were added in March while the unemployment rate fell to 4.7 percent, the lowest level in four-and-a-half years. Yet NBC didn't see a booming economy. "President Bush used the jobs numbers as a starting point for a new push to try to convince Americans that the economy is, in fact, on a roll," NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams noted before adding a "but," as in: "But as NBC News chief financial correspondent Anne Thompson tells us tonight, the economic picture is a bit more complicated." Thompson highlighted how "a new poll out today shows 59 percent of Americans disapprove of the President's handling of the economy." After relaying how Bush blames Iraq for that, Thompson ran a soundbite from an economist who blamed slow wage growth before she recited her own litany: "Also dragging down attitudes, rising health care costs and gas prices. The nation has a negative savings rate, and household debt...is at record levels and could squeeze already strapped family budgets as interest rates continue to rise." Thompson ended her piece with a quick look at a Massachusetts computer company which is hiring.

At least NBC gave its viewers the basic numbers of the day before trying to discount them. Friday's CBS Evening News didn't utter a syllable about the jobs/unemployment numbers, yet Bob Schieffer's show found time for a second night of coverage of how Bush "authorized leaking classified information" and for a piece on an orphanage in Kenya for elephants -- and that was even before two fluff "Assignment America" segments. ABC's World News Tonight allocated 25 seconds to the unemployment/jobs numbers as anchor Elizabeth Vargas pointed out the 31 consecutive months of job growth.

In the AP's Friday dispatch, "Jobless Rate Down to 4.7 Percent in March," reporter Jeannine Aversa related more good economic news that NBC chose to avoid: "The employment figures for March come against the backdrop of a rebounding economy. Analysts believe the economy emerged from an end-of-year funk and grew at an annual rate of 4.5 percent or higher in the just ended January-to-March quarter." See: news.yahoo.com

The MRC's Brad Wilmouth corrected the closed-captioning against the video to provide this transcript of the April 7 NBC Nightly News story:

Brian Williams: "Back in this country now, news on the economy. Good news, in fact, on the jobs front. The government reported today 211,000 jobs were added to the nation's payrolls last month. The unemployment rate ticked down a tenth of a point to 4.7 percent. That matches its lowest reading in 4 and a half years time. President Bush used the jobs numbers as a starting point for a new push to try to convince Americans that the economy is, in fact, on a roll. But as NBC News chief financial correspondent Anne Thompson tells us tonight, the economic picture is a bit more complicated."

Anne Thompson: "A full court press today by Bush's economic team [TV screens with administration officials scrolling across] -- 22 scheduled appearances to tout the solid jobs report. An offensive led by the President, proud of the 5.1 million jobs created in the past 31 months."
George W. Bush, at the White House: "These millions of new jobs are evidence of an economic resurgence that is strong, broad, and benefitting all Americans."
Thompson: "But Mr. Bush isn't one of them. A new poll out today shows 59 percent of Americans disapprove of the President's handling of the economy [AP/Ipsos poll, 39 percent approve, numbers on screen]. In an Oval Office meeting with financial broadcast journalists, a frustrated President blamed the negative attitude about the economy on Iraq. 'I think it's the war,' he said. 'I think the war is affecting the, America's attitude about the future.' Economists say it's more than that."
Mark Zandi, MoodysEconomy.com Chief Economist: "If you're in the top half of the distribution of income, you're doing fabulously, your wages are rising. If you're in the bottom half of the distribution, your wages aren't keeping up with inflation, you don't own stocks, your housing has not appreciated in value."
more
http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2006/cyb20060410.asp#4

LuvRPgrl said:
So, Jillian makes a post showing an article that is supposed to do an "unbiased" analysis. Yet a few sentences into it, ITS OWN BIAS is showing, calling liberals, "progressives",,ha, what a joke.

Liberal has taken on new meaning because todays liberals have different values than liberals of the past. Liberals of today dont like the conotations associated with the term liberal, yet it is something they created, in other words, they dont like an accurate public perception of them, and hence, they do the usual dance and use different words

Just do an analysis of the terms pro life, pro choice, anti abortion anti choicew pro abortion, you will find an overwhelming number of terms that favor abortion rights and they use terms that have a negative conotation for pro lifers, like Barbara bonehead Boxer, in her speeches always uses the term "anti choice" for pro lifers.

I really try not to respond to people who commence a discussion by saying "what a joke". But I will say this: it seems your problem is that you don't like when the people with whom you disagree don't allow the language to be hijacked by those with the same agenda as you.

Language is very powerful and choice of words is a very effective manner in which to frame a debate. Part of good debating skills is picking the right words.

jillian said:
I really try not to respond to people who commence a discussion by saying "what a joke". But I will say this: it seems your problem is that you don't like when the people with whom you disagree don't allow the language to be hijacked by those with the same agenda as you.

Language is very powerful and choice of words is a very effective manner in which to frame a debate. Part of good debating skills is picking the right words.

But it's obvious when liberals are trying to hide who they are by using a different word.

jillian said:
If It's Sunday, It's Conservative: An analysis of the Sunday talk show guests on ABC, CBS, and NBC, 1997 - 2005
Executive Summary

The Sunday-morning talk shows on ABC, CBS, and NBC are where the prevailing opinions are aired and tested, policymakers state their cases, and the left and right in American politics debate the pressing issues of the day on equal ground. Both sides have their say and face probing questions. Or so you would think.

In fact, as this study reveals, conservative voices significantly outnumber progressive voices on the Sunday talk shows. Media Matters for America conducted a content analysis of ABC's This Week, CBS' Face the Nation, and NBC's Meet the Press, classifying each one of the nearly 7,000 guest appearances during President Bill Clinton's second term, President George W. Bush's first term, and the year 2005 as either Democrat, Republican, conservative, progressive, or neutral. The conclusion is clear: Republicans and conservatives have been offered more opportunities to appear on the Sunday shows - in some cases, dramatically so.

[MORE]

How ironic. A thread about Liberal media bias, you counter with mediamatters.com.

It's not just a matter of how many times a Conservative or Republican appears on a Sunday morning news show. Aside from the fact that Sunday morning news shows are a small portion of the media, it's about how the interview is conducted. You'll notice Donald Rumsfeld doesn't appear on these shows much anymore because the last time he was on Meet the Press, he came prepared. Any time Tim Russert came at him with something, Rumsfeld was ready for it, sometimes with written proof.

But I see your point. Forget about the front page stories for the New York Times, the constant hammering of nothing stories from CNN, for get about Air America, Hardball, pretty much anything on Yahoo, and all the others... A lot of Conservatives appear on Sunday morning.

As I've said before, I don't expet Liberals to come out and say, "Ok, we admit it, there is a Liberal bias in the media." But when there is an attempt to say the bias is the other way, especially a weak one like this, it's just mind numbing.

Jimmyeatworld said:
But when there is an attempt to say the bias is the other way, especially a weak one like this, it's just mind numbing.

There are plenty of conservative outlets. Most publishers are conservatives. Wash Times, NY Post, Fox, Drudge...yadda, yadda..to say conservative media is tied mainly to Sunday morning news shows is not only disingenuous, it is not true. I wish there was no such thing as a liberal or conservative slant. Just present the news without editorial thanks. I'm old enough to make up my own mind....

I hate it when they use the term "corporate media", which implies that there is no liberal bias or that there is a conservative media bias, which is completely ridiculous.

jillian said:
Executive Summary

[MORE]

Two things are flawed:

one: just because repbulicans outnumber dems on Sunday news commentaries, ie, ones they actually who up to, not merely the media "reporting" a slant, does not in and of itself make bias. There is no conclusive proof from the article that shows the it was in fact all "invites" to the republicans. Maybe it just happens that the republicans like to use that day to speak to the nation. Again, big difference on a republican speaking and the news slanting their pov towards liberalism.

two: even assuming that this was "biased." You can not be serious that one day a week makes the media bias. If anything, the article wholeheartedly proves, without meaning too (seemingly) that the media is in FACT bias because only one day a week do republicans seem to have their pov be presented in a greater fashion than dems. :bye1:

Dr Grump said:
There are plenty of conservative outlets. Most publishers are conservatives. Wash Times, NY Post, Fox, Drudge...yadda, yadda..to say conservative media is tied mainly to Sunday morning news shows is not only disingenuous, it is not true. I wish there was no such thing as a liberal or conservative slant. Just present the news without editorial thanks. I'm old enough to make up my own mind....

What? I didn't say Conservative media was tied to Sunday morning news shows, if anything I was saying quite the opposite.

It doesn't matter what a publishers political leanings are, what matters is the way the news is presented. When it comes to actual news, I would say that Fox News and CNN Headline News are the most fair. If we get into commentary shows and bloggers, there is obviously going to be one slant or another, that's what makes a good commentary show or blog. Thing is, if you sit down to watch Bill O'Reilly or Chris Matthews, listen to Alan Colmes, or read Matt Drudge, you know what you are getting. If you sit down to watch, read, or listen to the news, it should be presented without slant. You can say most publishers are Conservative if you want, it doesn't change the fact that there are far more news outlets presenting the news with a Liberal slant.

Jimmyeatworld said:
What? I didn't say Conservative media was tied to Sunday morning news shows, if anything I was saying quite the opposite.

It doesn't matter what a publishers political leanings are, what matters is the way the news is presented. When it comes to actual news, I would say that Fox News and CNN Headline News are the most fair. If we get into commentary shows and bloggers, there is obviously going to be one slant or another, that's what makes a good commentary show or blog. Thing is, if you sit down to watch Bill O'Reilly or Chris Matthews, listen to Alan Colmes, or read Matt Drudge, you know what you are getting. If you sit down to watch, read, or listen to the news, it should be presented without slant. You can say most publishers are Conservative if you want, it doesn't change the fact that there are far more news outlets presenting the news with a Liberal slant.

I see your point, though Fox is most definitely slanted to the right. But the thing I would ask is whether you think media needs to be "objective" and not make any determination as to which side is being truthful or has acted most appropriately?

Personally, i think it's okay for media to make moral judgments and I think that investigative reporters are obligated to make those judgments. If no judgments were ever made, Watergate wouldn't have been reported by the Washington Post.

And, if (and NO, I'm not drawing a comparison of any kind to anyone living or dead) IF the media were watching evil like that which existed during WWII, isn't it incumbant on the press as government watchdogs (the Fourth Estate and all that) to take a stand?

jillian said:
I see your point, though Fox is most definitely slanted to the right. But the thing I would ask is whether you think media needs to be "objective" and not make any determination as to which side is being truthful or has acted most appropriately?

Personally, i think it's okay for media to make moral judgments and I think that investigative reporters are obligated to make those judgments. If no judgments were ever made, Watergate wouldn't have been reported by the Washington Post.

And, if (and NO, I'm not drawing a comparison of any kind to anyone living or dead) IF the media were watching evil like that which existed during WWII, isn't it incumbant on the press as government watchdogs (the Fourth Estate and all that) to take a stand?

I think people need to expect news to be slanted and judgemental. It's a business. They aren't in it to disseminate the truth.

Forum List

Back