The Meaning of Parables

ajwps

Nov 7, 2003
Houston, TX
Well, Halleluiah, and Phew! What a struggle. I really think we should agree on the text under discussion BEFORE we attempt to debate its meaning. In any event, if you agree that the verse at hand is not spoken by Jesus to His disciples as a direct command, "Come slay My enemies before me right now," then you have to remove this verse from your list of evidence that Jesus, during His ministry, called for slaying people, implying that during His earthly ministry Jesus was an insurgent.

Don’t be so certain as yet about who said what about ‘slaying my enemies in front of me’ in the Luke verse. You said, and I quote, Walwor “I will say again, that the nobleman in the parable is Jesus at His second coming- an event which is still in the future, at the culmination of Armageddon.”

In the parable, if it is really Jesus abeit the Nobleman in the second coming saying that he, Jesus Christ, in a future return wants his enemies slain in front of him because they do not believe that he is god or that they hoard funds given to them by Jesus, what is the lesson Christ was teaching in order to get a message across in his parable?

Your other point, that Christians later used this verse to justify persecuting or slaying Jews, may be true, but you can't apply meaning to what someone says based on how others interpret it.

Why not? Christianity for the most part has interpreted this Luke verse as it reads in the parable of Jesus and later being the Nobleman wanting to slay his enemies (the Jews) because they refuse to believe a man’s word that he is a god. In the second part of this statement, how can I apply meaning to what someone (you) says based on how you interpet it?

I prefer, and so do many Christians who support Israel, to look not at what Scriptural verses have been interpreted as, but what they actually say and mean. This may be a position unique to this place and time in history, but never too late, I say.

Your statement makes very little sense to me. Jesus’ emnity toward his Jewish enemies who refuse to believe his divinity and possible hoard money that he has given them (parable understanding). Why do you think Christians support Israel now? How can Christianity support 1) those who allegedly killed Christ 2) who do not believe that he was anything but an ordinary man or 3) are the sons of the devil or Satan? Could it possibly be for another reason like the New Testament prophecy of Christ can only return for his second coming without Israel being in the hands of the Jews and the Temple being rebuilt? Is that the real reason?

If we continue this discussion at all, let it be under a different or new thread, as I am tired of seeing the name of the originator of this thread every time I come here to read your responses, and his so-called "Great joke" which is probably the stupidest thing I've read on this board.

Originally posted by -=d=-

Don't be mad at ME because your thread sucks....and this, coming from a homo who can't QUOTE correctly??? :D

Oh now I'm scared for I do not wish to make you mad with threads that "sucks"

Have you ever had a rectal exam with your doctor holding your shoulders with his hand at the very same time? I'll bet you were mad because he didn't give you flowers and candy first or even give you a kiss..... I love the shade of your lipstick.

Did I quote you correctly?

Originally posted by ajwps

Have you ever had a rectal exam with your doctor holding your shoulders with his hand at the very same time? I'll bet you were mad because he didn't give you flowers and candy first or even give you a kiss.....

lol! :) We have a 'weird Fantasy' forum somewhere...I'm sure you'd LOVE It. You big freak. :) C'mon..admit it...you're wearing women's panties right now, aren't you, Sally? :D

VERY nice...you're getting the hang of it. :)

Have you ever had a rectal exam with your doctor holding your shoulders with his hand at the very same time? I'll bet you were mad because he didn't give you flowers and candy first or even give you a kiss.....

NOT ACCEPTABLE

Originally posted by -=d=-
lol! :) We have a 'weird Fantasy' forum somewhere...I'm sure you'd LOVE It. You big freak. :) C'mon..admit it...you're wearing women's panties right now, aren't you, Sally? :D VERY nice...you're getting the hang of it. :)

Not only your lipstick shade is very enticing but your eyeliner makeup really gives you that savage look.....

Originally posted by Kathianne
NOT ACCEPTABLE

Kathianne your in the middle of a great intellectual debate with Mr. =d=. As a real lady, this type of post should be one that you shouldn't have to read or understand as =d= initiated the insult.

Kathianne your in the middle of a great intellectual debate with Mr. =d=. As a real lady, this type of post should be one that you shouldn't have to read or understand as =d= initiated the insult.

it's -=d=- ;)

:D

and...

:boohoo:

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Don't make me lock threads... I'm not in a good mood after reading about the beheading.

It was terrible about the cowardly beheading of the American contract worker in Saudi Arabia. This is the nature of those who want to destroy humanity.

Please don't lock the thread as this started out to be a discussion between Walwor and myself concerning a parable in Luke.

The following site should give you a little laugh... I took =d=s self picture before it became uncomfortable for him to continue posting it. TURN ON YOUR SPEAKERS.

http://mrd.homestead.com/Mansman.html

Fair enough ajwps.
As far as your parable, I didn't read through the Great Joke thread, but as far as I've seen, that thread alludes to the fact that Jesus 's enemies will not be able to stand before Him, i.e. in the Day of Judgment. But I'm probably coming into the argument a little late.

Originally posted by gop_jeff

Fair enough ajwps.
As far as your parable, I didn't read through the Great Joke thread, but as far as I've seen, that thread alludes to the fact that Jesus 's enemies will not be able to stand before Him, i.e. in the Day of Judgment. But I'm probably coming into the argument a little late.
[/QUOTE]

Actually I am really not an expert on the New Testament versions. But if my memory serves me, it seems that only 144,000 people will be taken up in the clouds with him on judgement day.

It is difficult to believe that Christ has so many enemies.

Fair enough ajwps.

Actually I am really not an expert on the New Testament versions. But if my memory serves me, it seems that only 144,000 people will be taken up in the clouds with him on judgement day.

It is difficult to believe that Christ has so many enemies.

No 144,000 jews, not 144,000 humans total

Originally posted by freeandfun1
No 144,000 jews, not 144,000 humans total

Even that is innacurate. the only 144,000 being taken up is a misinterpretation commonly found among the Jehovahs witnesses. And they arent all jews. only 12,000 are jews. the rest of the 132,000 are from the other tribes of Israel. The verses after the mention of the 144,000 states that there is a countless multitude cleansed by the blood of the Savior.

My interpretation is that the 144,000 are missionaries sent out to the preach the Gospel and gather up the wheat from the midsts of the tares. Above that i dont know much, i havent diligently sought after this question.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Even that is innacurate. the only 144,000 being taken up is a misinterpretation commonly found among the Jehovahs witnesses. And they arent all jews. only 12,000 are jews. the rest of the 132,000 are from the other tribes of Israel. The verses after the mention of the 144,000 states that there is a countless multitude cleansed by the blood of the Savior.

My interpretation is that the 144,000 are missionaries sent out to the preach the Gospel and gather up the wheat from the midsts of the tares. Above that i dont know much, i havent diligently sought after this question.

My interpretation is that there are 12,000 taken from each of the twelve tribes for 144,000. The 12 tribes were the jews lead out of Egypt, so I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that there is a difference betweeb Israel and the Jews.

The mulitudes that were cleansed by the blood of the saviour would be the non jewish believers that have accepted the gospel.

However, the bottom line is that Jesus does not have enemies in the traditional sense. His enemies would be the minions of Satan, to which anyone on earth could be if they are following the will of Satan.

That being said, the following is a an aside and an observation.

ajwps has moved this thread from the joke forum to discuss this parable with Walwor. The parable he is speaking of comes from the Book of Luke - however ajwps stated two threads up he is not familiar with the NT (Luke is a NT book BTW). So is he trying to engage in conversation in which he learns something or just to troll?

In reading the back and forth he had going on with Walwor - I sense that he is just arguing back and forth about persecution of Jews etc. A parable in a group of verses and verses unto themselves cannot be used in the singular to express a point. Very fine and sublte context exists - especially in parables.

So - if one is trying to make a point that christians persecute jews or vice versa, why not just come out and say so without pulling religious scripture one know nothing about to make a point?

Forum List

Back