The March 9th Quiz

Don't know Wise; I remember the first; WAS LBJ the only President sworn in secrecy?

No, in 1876, Rutheford B. Hayes won a very hotly disputed race in our history, in fact the ourtcome was decided by one electoral vote only a couple days before the inauguration was to take place. Repubs feared the angry Dems (you know how they are) would do something about it; President Grant even ordered federal troops into DC to keep the peace.

Anyway, Grant's term was to expire on Sunday, March 4, 1877. In honor of the sabbath, the swearing in ceremony was to take place on the following day, but to forestall any embarassment or trouble they decided to do it a tad earlier.

Just before a gala dinner on Saturday night [March 3], Grant and Hayes went to the Red Room in the WH, and there in front of a few cabinet members the oath of office was administered by the Chief Justice. And they all went to dinner shortly thereafter.

Hayes was publicly inaugurated again on Monday as scheduled, for show.

Don't know Wise; I remember the first; WAS LBJ the only President sworn in secrecy?

No, in 1876, Rutheford B. Hayes won a very hotly disputed race in our history, in fact the ourtcome was decided by one electoral vote only a couple days before the inauguration was to take place. Repubs feared the angry Dems (you know how they are) would do something about it; President Grant even ordered federal troops into DC to keep the peace.

Anyway, Grant's term was to expire on Sunday, March 4, 1877. In honor of the sabbath, the swearing in ceremony was to take place on the following day, but to forestall any embarassment or trouble they decided to do it a tad earlier.

Just before a gala dinner on Saturday night [March 3], Grant and Hayes went to the Red Room in the WH, and there in front of a few cabinet members the oath of office was administered by the Chief Justice. And they all went to dinner shortly thereafter.

Hayes was publicly inaugurated again on Monday as scheduled, for show.
Thank you Wise!

Which president's campaign slogan was "54-40 or fight?"

Too easy, James K. Polk. What's interesting about this was that his opponent was Henry Clay, who ran and lost 3 or 4 elections for president. But this one was very close, and the issue of the Oregon territory was center stage. Polk supported annexation even if it meant a war with Britain, while Clay waffled on the subject. Had he come out strong for it as Polk did he might've beaten Polk. The year was 1844.

Too easy, James K. Polk. What's interesting about this was that his opponent was Henry Clay, who ran and lost 3 or 4 elections for president. But this one was very close, and the issue of the Oregon territory was center stage. Polk supported annexation even if it meant a war with Britain, while Clay waffled on the subject. Had he come out strong for it as Polk did he might've beaten Polk. The year was 1844.
Yes. Next, youngest President to take office?

Teddy Roosevelt, he was younger than JFK when he took office after McKinley's assassination, but Kennedy was the youngest to be elected.

Okay, I know I gotcha on this one - who was the only president to get a speeding ticket while in office?

Teddy Roosevelt, he was younger than JFK when he took office after McKinley's assassination, but Kennedy was the youngest to be elected.

Okay, I know I gotcha on this one - who was the only president to get a speeding ticket while in office?
No U.S. Grant: I remember because the officer wanted to let him off after recognizing him, but Grant insisted on paying. (How the officer knew how fast the horse/carriage was going I do not know; perhaps a subjective observation.)

No U.S. Grant: I remember because the officer wanted to let him off after recognizing him, but Grant insisted on paying. (How the officer knew how fast the horse/carriage was going I do not know; perhaps a subjective observation.)

Congrats; yes, I'm also assuming it was a subjective thing. If the officer believes you are exceeding the boundaries of safety then he write you a ticket for driving too fast, careless driving, whatever.

Congrats; yes, I'm also assuming it was a subjective thing. If the officer believes you are exceeding the boundaries of safety then he write you a ticket for driving too fast, careless driving, whatever.
Have one or more US Presidents, served two terms in office, without receiving the majority of the popular vote? If so, name(s)?

Have one or more US Presidents, served two terms in office, without receiving the majority of the popular vote? If so, name(s)?

These are the presidents who served without winning a majority of the popular vote:

John Quincey Adams lost by 44,804 votes to Andrew Jackson in 1824, lost to him in 1828 (and don't think Andy wasn't pissed about that 1824 election)

Rutherford B. Hayes lost by 264,292 votes to Samuel J. Tilden in 1876, didn't run for re-election in 1880

Benjamin Harrison lost by 95,713 votes to Grover Cleveland in 1888, was beaten by him in 1892

George W. Bush lost by 543,816 votes to Al Gore in 2000, but did beat John Kerry in the popular vote in 2004. He was the only 2-term president who was elected without a majority of the popular vote. (Al wasn't too pleased either)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back