The Mango : Philosophical thoughts on this suggestive fruit.

Do you think about mangos?

• Total voters

Anguille

Bane of the Urbane
Mar 8, 2008
Do you have any? mangos?

Philosophical thoughts on them?

mango haiku?

mango recipes?

I tend to lose interest in them when they're out of season. :eusa_hand:

They are always around though, don't you think? Hidden in the branches sometimes, watchingand waiting, they seem such a curious fruit.

Spicy Mango Habenero Sauce Recipe

Spicy Mango Habanero Sauce

4 large mangoes or 6 smaller ones -very ripe.
1-2 orange colored habanero peppers, seeded and chopped, more if desired
½ cup lime juice
2 Tbs grated ginger
1/2 c chopped vidalia onion
1/2 c sugar
1 c water
1/2 c champagne vinegar (you can use apple juice if you can’t find it)

Remove the stem from the habaneros and chop finely. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES!
Peel the mango and remove the flesh from the pit. Add to a food processor with the habanero and process until the mango is completely smooth.
Pour the mixture into a medium sized saucepan and set on low heat. Add all of the lime juice,onion and ginger. Add a quarter of the cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water and champagne vinegar. Mix well.
Bring to a boil and continue to cook on low heat, stirring often, until the mixture has reduced and thickened. Taste and adjust the sugar. The sauce should be somewhat sweet.

Allow to cool and refrigerate over night for flavors to blend.

Spicy Mango Habenero Sauce Recipe

I posted that recipe because I can't find the bottle that I have in the fridge via google. And, because mango-habenero is a giant dollop of goodness. I suggest a nice riesling or sauv blanc with grilled mango habenero chicken.

i've never tried to grill a mango. but, it would probably take skewers for kabobs.

Does mango hold up on a grill?
Not in my experience. A mango will usually get weepy when grilled, kind of like a sweet potato does when baked or the way the meringue on a lemon meringue pie weeps.

I like to pulverize them and mix them with rum.

Not in my experience. A mango will usually get weepy when grilled, kind of like a sweet potato does when baked or the way the meringue on a lemon meringue pie weeps.

I like to pulverize them and mix them with rum.

Being a former bartender I prefer the term "muddle" though certainly though muddling works best with most fruits, mangos do need a good pulverizing now and then. Especially the very fresh ones, the ones not just ripe that give you mango mouth, you know, that sensation that a colony of fire ants has set up shop in your mouth.

I hate when I get mango mouth.

Being a former bartender I prefer the term "muddle" though certainly though muddling works best with most fruits, mangos do need a good pulverizing now and then. Especially the very fresh ones, the ones not just ripe that give you mango mouth, you know, that sensation that a colony of fire ants has set up shop in your mouth.

I hate when I get mango mouth.
Muddle? I sometimes get muddled when I OD on mangoes. It's strange, but sometimes they seem to ferment as soon as they ripen. But I've never heard that expression, to muddle fruit. I was thinking of my blender setting of pulverize.

I'll have to give that a try and be a little more gentle next time.

Muddle? I sometimes get muddled when I OD on mangoes. It's strange, but sometimes they seem to ferment as soon as they ripen. But I've never heard that expression, to muddle fruit. I was thinking of my blender setting of pulverize.

Do they ever ferment, foment, ... and then some!!!

muddling is done by hand in a mixing glass with a wooden muddle shaped like a long pestle.

It's a bartending term.

One muddles the fruit to make an old fashioned, for example.

It's not a pulverizing of the fruit. Muddling is a sort of a half assed squashing which releases the flavro and essantial oils of the fruit, while retaining the basic structure of it.

It's a bartending term.

One muddles the fruit to make an old fashioned, for example.

It's not a pulverizing of the fruit. Muddling is a sort of a half assed squashing which releases the flavro and essantial oils of the fruit, while retaining the basic structure of it.

I have to say, it sounds kind of gay. It must be hard to swallow as well.

muddling this of mortise and petadesl....how ever the hell its spelled...

i love the mango..everything about it..the carving of it..the sucking on the pit...scraping off the left mango with the edge of your teeth...softly slowly licking the juice off the pit....as mangos unlike most fruits have such large pits...girth wise as well as length...

a ripe mango is a wondeful thing...as its juices run down your chin....and you dont care ..the enjoyment and taste too much for mere mortals

Forum List

Back