The man who brought us copy and paste has passed on

QuickHitCurepon

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2013
Earth
NEW YORK -- Larry Tesler, the Silicon Valley pioneer who created the now-ubiquitous computer concepts such as “cut,” “copy” and “paste,” has died. He was 74.

He made using computers easier for generations as a proponent and pioneer of what he called “modeless editing." That meant a user wouldn't have to use a keyboard to switch between modes to write and edit, for example.

Computer scientist who pioneered 'copy' and 'paste' has died

Too bad he couldn't copy and paste a few more years to his life.

What a great invention that I have been very happy to use ever since I started with computers.

Can you imagine how much work it has saved people, and if you added all the time savings up, it would equal many lifetimes.

Copy-Paste made me way more efficient in the last half of my career. Some of the young programmers I worked with took it to a whole other level. They would have multiple windows open and would be copy-pasting-editing between windows so fast I couldn't hardly follow what they were doing!

Tesler may also get credit for starting the technology that will eliminate starvation.

Anything is possible. Like replicators in Star Trek, it will be called copy and taste, because the quality of the food it produces wouldn't often be very good, at least, not at first.

Replicator (Star Trek) - Wikipedia

In 2015, a Star Trek-inspired Replicator-Emulator is proposed to robotically grow, print or assemble not only food, but also shelter, energy, transportation and even whole towns.

Just asked Google - How do I copy and paste yesterday using Outlook email. Couldn't figure it out. I was trying to copy a whole email and paste it to a new one then change the recipients name. But - old faithful Google helped me out. RIP to him.

Forum List

Back