The Man Behind Citizens United Is Just Getting Started

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
IN JANUARY 2008, James Bopp got laughed out of court—literally...

No one was laughing two years later, when the Supreme Court reversed Lamberth's ruling and adopted many of Bopp's arguments—a decision that wiped out 100 years of precedent in campaign-finance law. Building on a key 1976 decision that campaign spending was a form of speech and therefore protected by the First Amendment, the justices in Citizens United v. FEC extended that protection to corporations. They ruled that corporations (which already are considered "persons" for many constitutional purposes) have First Amendment rights similar to those of average voters, and keeping them from spending money to support or defeat specific candidates is unconstitutional.

Citizens United was the culmination of years of work by Bopp to chip away at the nation's campaign-finance regulations, often via obscure cases no one expected him to win. But Bopp's not done—not by a long stretch. Today, the 63-year-old lawyer is pursuing challenges to dismantle practically every facet of campaign-finance regulation. Taken individually, many of those cases look just as preposterous and doomed as Citizens United did in 2008. But laugh at your peril.

Read the rest here

Well, I certainly think that campiagn financing is a big PART of the reason this nation is doomed.

IN JANUARY 2008, James Bopp got laughed out of court—literally...

No one was laughing two years later, when the Supreme Court reversed Lamberth's ruling and adopted many of Bopp's arguments—a decision that wiped out 100 years of precedent in campaign-finance law. Building on a key 1976 decision that campaign spending was a form of speech and therefore protected by the First Amendment, the justices in Citizens United v. FEC extended that protection to corporations. They ruled that corporations (which already are considered "persons" for many constitutional purposes) have First Amendment rights similar to those of average voters, and keeping them from spending money to support or defeat specific candidates is unconstitutional.

Citizens United was the culmination of years of work by Bopp to chip away at the nation's campaign-finance regulations, often via obscure cases no one expected him to win. But Bopp's not done—not by a long stretch. Today, the 63-year-old lawyer is pursuing challenges to dismantle practically every facet of campaign-finance regulation. Taken individually, many of those cases look just as preposterous and doomed as Citizens United did in 2008. But laugh at your peril.
Read the rest here

Why should I read anything at the link when your quote starts out with a lie? Citizen's United had nothing to do with campaign financing at all, so it overturned, at best, a few decades of precedent that restricted free speech.

I fail to see how any sane person can see that as bad, but what else can I expect form idiots who think that corporations formed because federal law requires them to exist if people want to do certain things should be prohibited from doing the very thing the law requires them to exist for.

Well, I certainly think that campiagn financing is a big PART of the reason this nation is doomed.
.....Especially NOW!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKazKb5f79A]YouTube - Explaining the Supreme Court on Campaign Finance[/ame]

.....But, everything is temporary.

:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back