The Mamluk Era, Egypt

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
A little long, interesting nonetheless.

It was the Sultan Ayyub (ruling from 1240-1249) who set the stage for the Mamluk era in Egyptian history by building up a huge army of Turkish Kipchak slaves whom he had brought from regions north of the Black Sea and installed in the barracks of a citadel on Roda Island in the middle of the Nile in Cairo. They came to be known as Bahri Mamluks ("river slaves"). The commander of this army was a Mamluk named Baybars, later to become sultan himself (1260-1277). Baybars would go on to defeat the Mongols at Ayn Jalut in Palestine in 1260 and bring a final end to the Mongol threat. The Mamluks (from an Arabic word meaning "the owned") were non-Arab, mostly Turkish or Kurdish slaves owned by men who had themselves once been slaves. After being purchased in the slave markets as young boys, they were raised in special segregated barracks in Spartan fashion, their education consisting almost wholly of military and religious training. When they reached adulthood, they were freed, issued a horse and weapons, and then admitted into the service of their amir ("commander"), their former owner, whom, almost without exception, they served until the end of their lives with fierce loyalty and devotion. The Mamluk emphasis on youth and vigor is reflected in the fact that their salaries decreased as they grew older. When the reigning sultan, himself a former slave raised in this manner, died, one of the amirs replaced him, but usually not without a bloody power struggle between himself and other ambitious amirs.

Link

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
A very interesting period. I dont think a lot of Americans are aware of the history in that part of the world.

CSM said:
A very interesting period. I dont think a lot of Americans are aware of the history in that part of the world.

The Ottoman Janissaries were a nifty bunch too, until they were slaughtered in 1826.

The Ottoman Janissaries were a nifty bunch too, until they were slaughtered in 1826

Christian children caught, and brought up in the muslim faith by Ottoman.

poor parents, when they had to fight their own kid because he was in the ennmy battleline, as elite trooper.

padisha emperor said:
Christian children caught, and brought up in the muslim faith by Ottoman.

poor parents, when they had to fight their own kid because he was in the ennmy battleline, as elite trooper.

I have my doubts about their parents willingness to give their boys up to the Sultan. Especially since they could be taken/offered in tribute to the sultan, or as payment on taxes. I've read they were castrated for many years too.

I believe that the Jannissaries were caught by force, or were sons of christian prisonneers.
In turkish, Jannissary means "new troop" ("yeni çeri")
But it is sure they were christian kids brought up in the islam religion.

One interesting note on the Mamluks:

They were the only force ever to defeat a Mongol army
when the Mongols were at the height of their power.

The Mongols had recently taken over all of what is now Iraq,
levelling Baghdad in the process, and had invaded Palestine
to extend their conquests God knows how far.

At the battle of Ayn Jalut the Mamluks were I think able to
trap the Mongol army in a narrow defile, and destroy it.

USViking said:
One interesting note on the Mamluks:

They were the only force ever to defeat a Mongol army
when the Mongols were at the height of their power.

The Mongols had recently taken over all of what is now Iraq,
levelling Baghdad in the process, and had invaded Palestine
to extend their conquests God knows how far.

At the battle of Ayn Jalut the Mamluks were I think able to
trap the Mongol army in a narrow defile, and destroy it.

Yep, that's them.

Forum List

Back