The "Mainstream" of America

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Okay, I've been thinking... I keep hearing the Democraps say that they need to ensure that Roberts will represent and serve the "Mainstream" of America and not overturn cases such as Roe V. Wade, etc.

Okay, I have a question... just who is this "Mainstream"? If you consider that since 1980, the majority of Americans have continually voted Republican for their leadership (Reagan, two terms, Bush Sr., Clinton won two elections with LESS than the majority and both times the split candidates held similar views, so that means in reality, the majority of Americans voted against Clinton and his views) and GW twice. Therefore, the "Mainstream" of America must hold similar views. That is the only logical conclusion.

main·stream Audio pronunciation of "mainstream" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mnstrm)
n.

The prevailing current of thought, influence, or activity: “You need not accept the nominee's ideology, only be able to locate it in the American mainstream” (Charles Krauthammer).

adj.

Representing the prevalent attitudes, values, and practices of a society or group: mainstream morality.

I guess the dems outta just shut the f*ck up huh?

You can't locate the mainstream within a two party system. It's either/or. People are not usually voting for someone. They're voting for the lesser of two evils. Since politicians are usually lying people don't expect them to implement their policies. Therefore politicians can state policies but the smart voter knows he's not voting for those policies, just for the guy. The two parties are so similar that they can both be considered mainstream. When you are partisan you are just playing their game. They're like two football teams, they are both playing the same game, they just want you to buy their jerseys and hats. In this case the jersey is your vote. Buying into party politics means you've been manipulated. They are building brand loyalty and you're not able to tell that both Bud Lite and Miller Lite suck.

nucular said:
You can't locate the mainstream within a two party system. It's either/or. People are not usually voting for someone. They're voting for the lesser of two evils. Since politicians are usually lying people don't expect them to implement their policies. Therefore politicians can state policies but the smart voter knows he's not voting for those policies, just for the guy. The two parties are so similar that they can both be considered mainstream. When you are partisan you are just playing their game. They're like two football teams, they are both playing the same game, they just want you to buy their jerseys and hats. In this case the jersey is your vote. Buying into party politics means you've been manipulated. They are building brand loyalty and you're not able to tell that both Bud Lite and Miller Lite suck.
Then the democrats need to stop saying that they want a justice that will represent the "mainstream" of America. Poll after poll shows that the majority of Americans are against abortion, affirmative action, etc. So that must be the mainstream. So the dems will lose on that argument if they keep it up.

freeandfun1 said:
Then the democrats need to stop saying that they want a justice that will represent the "mainstream" of America. Poll after poll shows that the majority of Americans are against abortion, affirmative action, etc. So that must be the mainstream. So the dems will lose on that argument if they keep it up.

I don't know about that. I saw a poll two days ago which stated that 68% of Americans wanted a Supreme Court justice who would uphold Roe v. Wade. You can't trust polls but that's a large majority.

nucular said:
I don't know about that. I saw a poll two days ago which stated that 68% of Americans wanted a Supreme Court justice who would uphold Roe v. Wade. You can't trust polls but that's a large majority.
The point is, even if it is as you say, "the people choosing the lesser of two evils", if they consistently pick a conservative as the lesser, that equates to the conservative view as being more mainstream. No matter how one cuts it.

And as for the poll, sure, maybe a majority think RvW should not be overturned, but that does not mean they support abortion. It may just be that they consider it settled law. As you indicated, polls are dubious at best.

However, voting trends, not only on candidates, but issues too, tend to support the claim that conservative views are more mainstream than liberal views.

freeandfun1 said:
The point is, even if it is as you say, "the people choosing the lesser of two evils", if they consistently pick a conservative as the lesser, that equates to the conservative view as being more mainstream. No matter how one cuts it.

And as for the poll, sure, maybe a majority think RvW should not be overturned, but that does not mean they support abortion. It may just be that they consider it settled law. As you indicated, polls are dubious at best.

However, voting trends, not only on candidates, but issues too, tend to support the claim that conservative views are more mainstream than liberal views.

That only depends on how you define the mainstream. I think that the majority of Americans fall within the mainstream. The last two elections were virtually 50/50. In order for your reasoning to hold water the following would have to be true:

1. All Republicans are mainstream.
2. All Democrats are out of the mainstream.
3. All Republicans are conservative
4. No Democrats are conservative
3. The mainstream at best includes a little over 50% of the people.

Fact is there are Democrats and Republicans within the mainstream. There are Democrats and Republicans outside the mainstream. In some cases moderate Liberals and moderate Conservatives have more in common with each other than either group has in common with radicals on either end.
:smoke:

Forum List

Back